U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 03:51 PM

19,010 posts, read 9,796,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LMAO. The OP Trying to stretch and hide the truth.
What truth is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 PM

223 posts, read 27,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That’s racist according to Liberals.

honestly figured something like "racist" would be the first reply in the thread as the liberals rush in to defend their silly position on the side of guns.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:08 PM

48,725 posts, read 45,801,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
where did this definition [underlined] come from? i've never heard that before.

why is that an important metric?
No one expects to get shot in school, in a theatre, at work (unless your job requires you to carry a gun). Non one should get shot or killed anywhere. However, it's expected in gang territory. It's expected in the ghetto. It's not expected in a suburban high school. It's not expected at work. It's not expected at a university. Those are places that are considered safe. This is part of what made Columbine to shocking. This is what made the Virginia Tech shooting so shocking.

You ignored other metrics. I mentioned gangs. I also mentioned the intentions and nature of the shootings. With gang shootings in the ghetto, it's not one person shooting a dozen people at once with the intention of "shoot as many as you can, with the intent of just that". The kind of mass shootings Black people are most likely to commit involve gangs, or they involve so-and-so being a horrible shot and shooting more people than intented.

When people mention mass shootings, this is what they usually mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQyyDdEdzHc

Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
ha google 'shooting at barbeque' and get back to me. get out of here with that nonsense
Google "gang violence" and come back to me. What makes you think you know any better than I do?

Old 07-31-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My grandkids do not frequent the places where gang fights occur. The do go to church, school and the movies.
Yes, and for the most part, people don't get shot in such places. This is why when a mass shooting happens at a school, the movies, or church, it's a big shock to alot of people. And usually, the intent of said person shooting people in such places is to shoot as many people as possible. With gang violence, it's expected and often involves taking out rival gang members. Sometimes innocent people get killed because they happen to be there. Because gang violence is often expected, it doesn't shock as many people.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:19 PM

18,579 posts, read 9,128,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, and for the most part, people don't get shot in such places. This is why when a mass shooting happens at a school, the movies, or church, it's a big shock to alot of people. And usually, the intent of said person shooting people in such places is to shoot as many people as possible. With gang violence, it's expected and often involves taking out rival gang members. Sometimes innocent people get killed because they happen to be there. Because gang violence is often expected, it doesn't shock as many people.
Agree. This violence is usually localized to their neighborhoods, or gang rival neighborhoods in really bad parts of cities. It doesn't get the attention, because it happens so often, but also doesn't fit the disarm Whitey narrative of the media.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:31 PM

28,816 posts, read 15,615,002 times
Quote:
And the vast majority of those shootings take place in the ghettos. Not in schools, not in theatres, not in office buildings. They happen in places where gangs are prevalent. Mass shootings refer to shootings of multiple people getting shot in places where you don't expect them to get shot. Stuff like Columbine, the Aurora theatre shooting, Sandy Hook Elementary. Those kind of shootings feature one or two people whose goal is to shoot as many people as they can all at one. These shootings by Black males are not "shoot as many as you can". It's "shoot whatever rival gang members are there" or multiple people getting shot because the shooters are horrible marksmen.
So this makes it more palatable?

I don't know how you expect white people to care about blacks being shot when this is your take when we shoot ourselves.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,080,766 times
Quote:
While that may be an explanation for why such events get way more press than gang related shootings in inner cities, the question at hand is why you claimed:

Quote:
Mass shootings refer to shootings of multiple people getting shot in places where you don't expect them to get shot.
And that simply isn't true and is symptomatic of the issue of folks choosing to bend the definition to whatever fits their particular needs. For instance, gun control folks tend to use the more commonly accepted definition of a mass shooting which is one in which 4 or more people are killed because it is in their best interest to make the number appear as large as possible.

If your statement had been closer to "many folks relate the term 'mass shooting' to non gang related shootings because it strikes closer to home since they occur in places they assume are 'safe' and so it's much more of a big deal when it does occur" then most folks would probably agree with you and there'd be no question.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:36 PM

19,010 posts, read 9,796,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So this makes it more palatable?

I don't know how you expect white people to care about blacks being shot when this is your take when we shoot ourselves.
To me it's also quite strange that most blacks and all liberals don't care at all about the hundreds of thousands of blacks killed by other blacks in the USA the past few decades...guess they have been taught to ignore it because it doesn't serve their narrative.

I care about all of the victims regardless of race....I guess that kills any chance of me becoming a liberal.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,166,552 times
-African American males 6% of the population but commit 52% of the homicides in America. And most of those victims are other African Americans.

-a study by Heather McDonald after crunching lots of DoJ and FBI violent crime data showed whites were 28 times as likely to be a victim of a violent crime where a African American is the perpatrator then vice versa. 28X! Not 2X or 5X or even 10X. But 28X.
-And hispanics and Asians are also many more times likely to be the victims where a African American is the perpatrator then vice versa.

I say this not to pick on anyone or be mean. But this is factual data. Why does the liberal media not report this more? Why does Omar say its white men that are the big threat when the data does not support that at all?

It's fine that Don Lemmon asks all the Dem candidates in the debate last night what they will do about the rise in "white supremism". But why does he not also ask what they will do about the 5,000 black on black homicides annually? Wouldn't that be fair? Or does he even care? Was there even one single homicide in the last year where a "white supremist" was the perpatrator and a person of color was the victim? 0 vs. 5,000? Who is the bigger threat to people of color? Why does the liberal media want to push one narrative so hard but ignore the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or