Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
And the battle for "Most Racially Underrepresented CD Member in the US" is on ...

Hahaha. I almost *always* win the “What the F are you?” contest. When I lived in SF I was among fellow Hawaiians, Tongans, and Fijians. But in Austin, Texas? I’ve met like three fellow Islanders in eleven years. One was a waitress in a BBQ restaurant and we literally hugged each other. My husband is the only person besides my siblings who understands our pidgin talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m ethnically Hawaiian. I’m talking about my nationality, not the population of the state. Definitely not many of us in the mainland U.S. I squeak every time I come across a fellow Islander here in Texas.

I recall you and I having a conversation a few years ago about St. Thomas and Caribbean food. That’s some ono grinds.
Awwww...I bet! My family friends growing up, the wife is Hawaiian. The great-grandmother was pure ethnic Hawaiian. We went to quite a few of their family gatherings. Really sweet people.

Yes, I’m back on the mainland now but miss much about island life.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hahaha. I almost *always* win the “What the F are you?” contest. When I lived in SF I was among fellow Hawaiians, Tongans, and Fijians. But in Austin, Texas? I’ve met like three fellow Islanders in eleven years. One was a waitress in a BBQ restaurant and we literally hugged each other. My husband is the only person besides my siblings who understands our pidgin talk.
Head up to Ft Hood. There are more there.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:39 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
The simple truth is that mass shootings done by blacks( it’s always black on black) are not sensationalized, while mass shootings done by whites are very sensationalized and put on CNN.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:41 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Head up to Ft Hood. There are more there.
Las Vegas and Seattle are also full of Islanders. They run the airports. Those big mokes working luggage are predominately Islanders. They are hard on luggage. lol. My people are not a delicate people.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
And the battle for "Most Racially Underrepresented CD Member in the US" is on ...

Fail...LOL. My ethnic group is not a race. Definitely a multiracial and religiously diverse group.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Las Vegas and Seattle are also full of Islanders. They run the airports. Those big mokes working luggage are predominately Islanders. They are hard on luggage. lol. My people are not a delicate people.
Only been to Vegas once but it was work related. Next time I go, I’ll have to pay more attention. My luggage made it just fine though!

Seattle...well that makes sense. It’s much closer. Never been though.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
There is no solution to mass shootings/gun violence? There isn't a perfect solution, but a very effective way. Execute every murderer. Dont tell me the death penalty isnt a deterent. It could be, but its almost never used, percentage wise. This used to be the practice in our country, and the murder rate was much lower.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
People are always more angered when someone outside their tribe kills one of 'them' than 10X more people killed within the tribe. Why is the OKC bombing rarely on the radar compared with far fewer people killed by the Boston Marathon bombing? Because McVeigh was 'one of us' while the Boston bombers were Muslim immigrants.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There is no solution to mass shootings/gun violence? There isn't a perfect solution, but a very effective way. Execute every murderer. Dont tell me the death penalty isnt a deterent. It could be, but its almost never used, percentage wise. This used to be the practice in our country, and the murder rate was much lower.
For mass shootings where there is no question as to the identity of the murderer, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies