U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
 
Location: USA
18,392 posts, read 9,052,766 times
Reputation: 13822

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Completely different perspective here.

The folks I know that own a gun are proud of their gun ownerhsip, including the women.

And of course they would answer positively to the question do you own a gun -- because it affirms the gun ownership is a right notion.

Why would someone 'hide' they own a gun?

Now I live in the southeast and there is no shame in owning a gun.....maybe in some more liberal states it is something they wouldn't admit to - but I doubt it.
Because THEY KNOW YOU. They aren't going to advertise that fact to strangers who could potentially tell others and put them at risk for THEFT. You seem like a smart person. THINK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
 
Location: MS
4,272 posts, read 4,094,081 times
Reputation: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Completely different perspective here.

The folks I know that own a gun are proud of their gun ownerhsip, including the women.

And of course they would answer positively to the question do you own a gun -- because it affirms the gun ownership is a right notion.

Why would someone 'hide' they own a gun?

Now I live in the southeast and there is no shame in owning a gun.....maybe in some more liberal states it is something they wouldn't admit to - but I doubt it.
That you know. We have no problem disclosing our gun ownership to people we know. Not strangers because you never know who you are talking to.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
 
1,885 posts, read 927,181 times
Reputation: 2491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It doesn't seem to say anything about who did the survey, to whom, or how, so I'm not going to take it too seriously. But it should drive anyone crazy who knows about statistics of gun accidents, and it should drive anyone crazy who thinks it's horrible that women feel so unsafe - under a president who supposedly was going to make us safer.
How was the president supposed to make us safer? I've been robbed twice during last month. Someone with a key to the apartments comes into our homes and steals from us and my neighbors and I cannot do a thing about it. The president had nothing to do with it. He never promised me I'd never be robbed. And the cops don't care if someone is robbed, especially if the person is in poverty. We're scum of the earth. To them we deserve to suffer. The president has nothing to do with that, either. The only person that can make you safer is yourself and that is by paying attention to your surroundings and having the means to protect yourself. Cannot do that though when you're being burglarized when you're not even at home. Low income people are often subjected to predators because no one actually looks out for us. Then the wealthy try to make it cost even more to own a gun than it does already so that the poor have even less means to protect themselves. My gun didn't get stolen because it was on my person because as of July 1st in KY you no longer have to pay for a concealed weapons permit. I've been carrying it everywhere since the law changed. But most of what money I had and some bottles filled with old pain pills got stolen. I also had food, h&b, and cleaning supplies disappear since I moved in here. I am not the only one that gets robbed. The person is likely to come back, and there's nothing I can do about it. I have never blamed a president for such problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
 
1,885 posts, read 927,181 times
Reputation: 2491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Survey: One in five women own a gun

Okay. So that means that four in five women don't own guns. That's 80%.

20% who do and 80% who don't.

I think that's about average isn't it? Sounds perfectly normal to me and that's what I would have expected, I don't think it's anything really notable in either case.

I'd be far more interested in results of a survey about what percentage of men own guns. Not how many guns or what types of guns they have or why they have them or what they do with them, just what percentage of men own guns.

Does anybody know if there's been surveys about that?

.
Just because a woman doesn't own a gun doesn't mean that the man doesn't, so she could still have access to a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
 
Location: San Diego
35,442 posts, read 32,346,021 times
Reputation: 19983
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Just because a woman doesn't own a gun doesn't mean that the man doesn't, so she could still have access to a gun.
This

all of our guns are in my name but she shoots them all the time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
 
1,331 posts, read 2,075,287 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Survey: One in five women own a gun

Okay. So that means that four in five women don't own guns. That's 80%.

20% who do and 80% who don't.

I think that's about average isn't it? Sounds perfectly normal to me and that's what I would have expected, I don't think it's anything really notable in either case.

I'd be far more interested in results of a survey about what percentage of men own guns. Not how many guns or what types of guns they have or why they have them or what they do with them, just what percentage of men own guns.

Does anybody know if there's been surveys about that?

.
Assuming the numbers are from a 2017 Pew survey then the number is 40% for men.

To @yspobo's comment, 18% of the women surveyed said that they don't own a gun but another household member does which brings the number up to about 40% for women who, ostensibly, have access to a gun (either theirs or someone in the household).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
 
Location: NNJ
9,648 posts, read 5,421,717 times
Reputation: 10604
My MIL and her partner (both women.. yes gay) are staunch Democrats and both are gun owners..... in Texas. They are as "Texan" as you can get... business owners, partner raised horses for decades. They also enjoy hunting and visits to the target range.

I'm independent, lean conservative in many policies and lean liberal on many social issues. They are about as liberal as you can get (and I disagree with them OFTEN). Only here on CD do you all paint with such a broad brush to label as all liberals as anti-gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
 
37,312 posts, read 16,230,395 times
Reputation: 8488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Sur...513388151.html





Let the anti-gun crowd let that sink in!!


1 in 5!!!!!!!!


And that number is growing thanks to thewellarmedwoman.com and other woman friendly gun groups


This will drive the libs crazy!!!!
Images for pink guns selling at a record pace






more images for pink guns selling at a record pace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
 
Location: San Diego
35,442 posts, read 32,346,021 times
Reputation: 19983
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
My MIL and her partner (both women.. yes gay) are staunch Democrats and both are gun owners..... in Texas. They are as "Texan" as you can get... business owners, partner raised horses for decades. They also enjoy hunting and visits to the target range.

I'm independent, lean conservative in many policies and lean liberal on many social issues. They are about as liberal as you can get (and I disagree with them OFTEN). Only here on CD do you all paint with such a broad brush to label as all liberals as anti-gun.
All new gun laws are being pushed almost exclusively by one party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,373 posts, read 6,650,577 times
Reputation: 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post


Assuming the numbers are from a 2017 Pew survey then the number is 40% for men.

Thank you for that information!




So ..... 2 in 5 men own guns and 1 in 5 women own guns.

Now there are only twice as many men who own guns compared to women whereas it used to be a great deal more than that only a few years ago, which means women are now catching up to men very rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of women owners overtakes and surpasses the number of men owners within the next 30 years.

People can come up with all kinds of reasons and justifications for owning guns and people can deny this as much as they wish if they can't admit to the practical reasoning for it, but the fact remains that urban women who arm themselves are arming themselves against men, not against women and not because they want to play games with target practice and not because they have a love affair with firearms the way men do. Likewise, armed women who live in rural settings might occasionally require arms to kill animals, but the main reason they are armed is to be armed against men. We all know that is the truth, and we all know why.

When it comes about that there are many, many more female gun owners than there are male gun owners, how will men feel about that? Will the outnumbered men become concerned that the superior number of women gun owners will represent a threat to all the men that women are arming themselves against? Will the men become paranoid that the superior numbers of women gun owners will eventually disarm all men and start a new world order for society? Will men then want to take all women's guns away and prevent them from owning them?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top