U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

6,403 posts, read 3,558,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It doesn't seem to say anything about who did the survey, to whom, or how, so I'm not going to take it too seriously. But it should drive anyone crazy who knows about statistics of gun accidents, and it should drive anyone crazy who thinks it's horrible that women feel so unsafe under a president who supposedly was going to make us safer.
What leads you to believe that every woman who owns a gun does so because she feels unsafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

9,441 posts, read 6,316,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And four out of five women do not. So 80% of women don't feel the need to own a gun. Those are some big numbers.

Just keeping it real.

They are, but the female gun owner number is climbing !

The 1st time gun owner is climbing fast and sales are driven by women!!!!!!!!!!

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Makes me change my mind somewhat. Since white men are by far the largest perpetrators of gun violence, maybe our gun laws should simply ban them from owning guns.

HOGWASH! Can you say 2nd Amendment?

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

18,361 posts, read 9,045,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They are, but the female gun owner number is climbing !

The 1st time gun owner is climbing fast and sales are driven by women!!!!!!!!!!
My gun club is now almost 40% women, and that has happened mostly in the last five years or so.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Quote:
It doesn't seem to say anything about who did the survey, to whom, or how, so I'm not going to take it too seriously. But it should drive anyone crazy who knows about statistics of gun accidents, and it should drive anyone crazy who thinks it's horrible that women feel so unsafe - under a president who supposedly was going to make us safer.

Mike tosses the Red Bull Crap Flag!

Female gun ownership has been climbing for years...Nothing to do with any President

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,073,895 times
Quote:
It doesn't seem to say anything about who did the survey, to whom, or how, so I'm not going to take it too seriously. But it should drive anyone crazy who knows about statistics of gun accidents, and it should drive anyone crazy who thinks it's horrible that women feel so unsafe - under a president who supposedly was going to make us safer.
What's worse is that if you try to look the stat up, you'll find a lot of news outlet references back to the article with no source mentioned anywhere. Typical of media today.

That said, a couple of years ago Pew did a survey and found that 22% of US women own a firearm, perhaps this is what they are referring to, though it could hardly be described as "recent".

Finally, that's quite the stretch to assume that all/most of women who own a firearm do so because they "feel unsafe". Beside the obvious fact that many simply enjoy firearms, owning a firearm for self protection doesn't mean that one "feels unsafe".

Finally finally, what the heck does the president have to do with this, unless you're talking about Obama since a 2017 survey would be reflecting the ownership patterns leading up to the survey.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

I think many women are realizing the police can't respond fast enough and that they can be targeted by criminals specifically because they are a woman. It's funny, they all want to shoot my Colt M-4 (carbine version of the AR-15 for the unknowing) first.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 4,649,197 times
When I got my CCW, the year before Missouri decided to allow carry without a permit, probably 2/3 of those at the classes were women. In fact, my wife and sister got one before I did. They convinced me to do it.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,047,063 times
My 13 y.o. daughter has three.

Now thatís sheís left home alone at times, I tell her the same thing my dad told me - ďIf someone tries to come in, you know where the loaded gun is and how to use it. Shoot until itís empty. Iíll be back in a while.Ē

Dad left me with a 5-shot .38 revolver. I leave her with 17 rounds of 9mm hollowpoint.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
My 13 y.o. daughter has three.

Now thatís sheís left home alone at times, I tell her the same thing my dad told me - ďIf someone tries to come in, you know where the loaded gun is and how to use it. Shoot until itís empty. Iíll be back in a while.Ē

Dad left me with a 5-shot .38 revolver. I leave her with 17 rounds of 9mm hollowpoint.
I had a WWII P-08 Luger my Dad gave me at that age which I still have. Fortunately, never had to use it other than the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or