Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:48 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
120 guns per 100 people in the US

Next highest rate is in Yemen. 40 per 100.

We live in a war zone.

Hooray guns!!!

Well, you know what they say when others ask why.

Because you want to and you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:52 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Statistically, guns are much safer in the hands of a woman than in a man's hands.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1635092
Well...not for rapists.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I would wager that it is higher than one in five which is 20%. Many, if not most legal gun owners when asked by some anonymous person, or person they don't know would answer "It is none of your business if I own guns, or not". It is a very personal thing which can have security ramifications. If someone were to call me up and survey me about guns, I would just hang up. If they sent me a form, it would go in the trash.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 AM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I can't carry in WI

Makes it hard to plan a trip
There's no reason you'd need to carry a gun in Wisconsin. Turn off Fox News & the fear mongering. It's about as safe as you can get in this state. Stop fearing the boogie man in the dark.

The 3 women I know who own guns are deer hunters & only use guns for that. They would never carry or use a gun outside of that because there's simply no reason to according to them. I bet a large % of the 1 out of 5 women consist of hunters in their situation.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
There's no reason you'd need to carry a gun in Wisconsin. Turn off Fox News & the fear mongering. It's about as safe as you can get in this state. Stop fearing the boogie man in the dark.

The 3 women I know who own guns are deer hunters & only use guns for that. They would never carry or use a gun outside of that because there's simply no reason to according to them. I bet a large % of the 1 out of 5 women consist of hunters in their situation.
2016 Crime (Actual Data)
Aggravated Assault10,765
ArsonN/A
Burglary19,425
Larceny and Theft82,337
Motor Vehicle Theft9,958
Murder and Manslaughter229
Rape1,979
Robbery4,706
Crime Rate (Total Incidents)129,399
Property Crime111,720
Violent Crime17,679
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Crime rates are going down in WI, and violent crime stats are expected to be lower in 19 than they were in 16. But I read these numbers and don't agree with your "there's no reason you'd need a gun in Wisconsin" comment.

If i lived in WI I would carry a gun. You live in WI and apparently don't carry a gun. It's a free country, We are both law abiding citizens. I would make one decision. You would another. And they are both OK decisions.

See how that works?

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2019 at 02:06 AM..

Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

And hopefully, one will never have a reason to.........but if someday they do, then they will be ready.

As far as the possibilities to why? A decently wealthy heiress who lives alone who in her past has had to hold judgement on others that was not in their favor. A law enforcement researcher whose mind holds procedures on the way things work in the security world. A worthy gang initiation target. A woman. Someone with nice things. A belly dancer (both from the views of the dance of the devil to cultural encroachment). Momentary things that make people unpleasant, from driving too slow on country roads to being a photographer and maybe something was caught in the background.

Is it likely? God, I hope not........but we do live in a crazy world. I'd rather be "those who feel me near, close their blinds and change their minds" than "she looks like an easy mark, let's knock her over".

Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Sur...513388151.html

Let the anti-gun crowd let that sink in!!

1 in 5!!!!!!!!

And that number is growing thanks to thewellarmedwoman.com and other woman friendly gun groups
That's a good thing.

Quote:
This will drive the libs crazy!!!!
No it won't.

I've tried to get the wife to carry, but she won't. But both of her sisters carry daily, after a few training sessions I gave them a number of years back. One has a 38 revolver, the other a 380 auto. They're all set.

Oh, and they're both "libs."

Me, too. I've been carrying daily for the past 11 years.

So, it's back to the drawing board for you.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That's a good thing.

No it won't.

I've tried to get the wife to carry, but she won't. But both of her sisters carry daily, after a few training sessions I gave them a number of years back. One has a 38 revolver, the other a 380 auto. They're all set.

Oh, and they're both "libs."

Me, too. I've been carrying daily for the past 11 years.

So, it's back to the drawing board for you.

I've noticed that "liberal" is no longer synonymous with being a rabid frothing hoplophobe anymore. Liberals are now the more moderate crowd on that end. The real gunophobics now are so far out there and so woefully under and misinformed (willfully) that they make actual "liberals" look right wing.

The lady shooters I know are a great bunch of gals. I broke a lot of them into shooting and now they are competing with me in my class at easily my level. I don't walk to the line with the idea of taking it easy on them. Good way to be packing up early in the match. And like me they compete with guns they carry daily.

As an aside I would stack these gals up against any "highly trained" LE type out there. Including SWAT.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:44 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Survey: One in five women own a gun

Okay. So that means that four in five women don't own guns. That's 80%.

20% who do and 80% who don't.

I think that's about average isn't it? Sounds perfectly normal to me and that's what I would have expected, I don't think it's anything really notable in either case.

I'd be far more interested in results of a survey about what percentage of men own guns. Not how many guns or what types of guns they have or why they have them or what they do with them, just what percentage of men own guns.

Does anybody know if there's been surveys about that?

I would imagine that most gun owners would not answer a survey. I don't know anyone that doesn't have at least one gun in their home.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I don't believe surveys or polls. If someone answers "none of your business", how do they list that? I would guess they probably put them down as not owning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies