Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've noticed that "liberal" is no longer synonymous with being a rabid frothing hoplophobe anymore. Liberals are now the more moderate crowd on that end. The real gunophobics now are so far out there and so woefully under and misinformed (willfully) that they make actual "liberals" look right wing.

The lady shooters I know are a great bunch of gals. I broke a lot of them into shooting and now they are competing with me in my class at easily my level. I don't walk to the line with the idea of taking it easy on them. Good way to be packing up early in the match. And like me they compete with guns they carry daily.

As an aside I would stack these gals up against any "highly trained" LE type out there. Including SWAT.
The ladies here in my gun club in Austin (Sure Shots) are an incredibly talented bunch of shooters. Most of them compete and do very, very well. They host Ladies Night every Tuesday night here, and many gun and accessory manufacturers come out and hold “clinics” on lots of topics such as proper cleaning and storage and give away a lot of shwag. Ladies’ Night is open to any females and the range lets them rent guns for free and reserve lanes for half price. Our shooting range here bends over backwards for women, especially first-time shooters. They are patient and knowledgeable and can turn any interested first timer into an experienced marksman with time and practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Sur...513388151.html

Let the anti-gun crowd let that sink in!!

1 in 5!!!!!!!!

And that number is growing thanks to thewellarmedwoman.com and other woman friendly gun groups

This will drive the libs crazy!!!!

Just think of all the women surveyed, that wanted to keep their privacy from virtue checking....
I bet the number is more than 1 in 5.
State by state could be a good stat.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The ladies here in my gun club in Austin (Sure Shots) are an incredibly talented bunch of shooters. Most of them compete and do very, very well. They host Ladies Night every Tuesday night here, and many gun and accessory manufacturers come out and hold “clinics” on lots of topics such as proper cleaning and storage and give away a lot of shwag. Ladies’ Night is open to any females and the range lets them rent guns for free and reserve lanes for half price. Our shooting range here bends over backwards for women, especially first-time shooters. They are patient and knowledgeable and can turn any interested first timer into an experienced marksman with time and practice.
Red's Indoor Range, eh? Thanks for your business.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've noticed that "liberal" is no longer synonymous with being a rabid frothing hoplophobe anymore. Liberals are now the more moderate crowd on that end. The real gunophobics now are so far out there and so woefully under and misinformed (willfully) that they make actual "liberals" look right wing.
Agreed

Quote:
The lady shooters I know are a great bunch of gals. I broke a lot of them into shooting and now they are competing with me in my class at easily my level. I don't walk to the line with the idea of taking it easy on them. Good way to be packing up early in the match. And like me they compete with guns they carry daily.

As an aside I would stack these gals up against any "highly trained" LE type out there. Including SWAT.
Well, I don't shoot competitively and neither do my sisters in law.

In my case, I don't want to show how much I've slipped in front of those whose skills are a lot better than mine.

I used to be pretty good with handgun - qualified as expert with the M1911a1 back in my military days, but that was 45 years ago. I can still do pretty well with a rifle, though. As long as it has a scope.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I would imagine that most gun owners would not answer a survey. I don't know anyone that doesn't have at least one gun in their home.

Me either. And if some stranger asks me if I own guns "none of your business" is my standard response.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Red's Indoor Range, eh? Thanks for your business.
Yessir. I live about 10 min from the South location and I was trained by, took my CHL class, and bought my first gun from ole Calvin, whom I adored.

The first time I went to Red’s about 12 years ago, he spent a couple hours with me that night swapping out different 9mm’s and helping me improve my aim and grip. By the end of the night and about 200 rounds I ended up with my Springfield XD-9 subcompact. The 16+1 mag fits my big hand like a glove. Ole Calvin had me stripping it down in seconds after some good lessons. He’s great.

If more women had the same experience that I did they wouldn’t hesitate to buy a gun. Calvin’s training and support turned this icky scary thing into a useful practical tool.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Agreed

Well, I don't shoot competitively and neither do my sisters in law.

In my case, I don't want to show how much I've slipped in front of those whose skills are a lot better than mine.

I used to be pretty good with handgun - qualified as expert with the M1911a1 back in my military days, but that was 45 years ago. I can still do pretty well with a rifle, though. As long as it has a scope.

I've been competing in various disciplines since I was ...quite young. My Dad started me on Bullseye when I was around 7 or so when he was shooting for the Navy. I credit the skills I learned in that area with my success in action shooting. Especially when the course calls for one handed shooting.

I taught everyone I broke in the same way my Dad did me. The purpose of shooting is hitting. Speed will come with time. Control the adrenaline and make it work for you. Not against you. So many new shooters get wound up and shaking like a dog shi**ing peach seeds worrying about how they will perform. DON"T do dat!!!

Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Yessir. I live about 10 min from the South location and I was trained by, took my CHL class, and bought my first gun from ole Calvin, whom I adored.

The first time I went to Red’s about 12 years ago, he spent a couple hours with me that night swapping out different 9mm’s and helping me improve my aim and grip. By the end of the night and about 200 rounds I ended up with my Springfield XD-9 subcompact. The 16+1 mag fits my big hand like a glove. Ole Calvin had me stripping it down in seconds after some good lessons. He’s great.

If more women had the same experience that I did they wouldn’t hesitate to buy a gun. Calvin’s training and support turned this icky scary thing into a useful practical tool.
Small world.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just think of all the women surveyed, that wanted to keep their privacy from virtue checking....
I bet the number is more than 1 in 5.
State by state could be a good stat.
If some stranger on the phone or in person asked my wife about guns, she would respond that they are "icky" or something like that. While I can't buy anything until she gets a 1911 added to her collection. Preferably one made in Arkansas.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 AM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If some stranger on the phone or in person asked my wife about guns, she would respond that they are "icky" or something like that. While I can't buy anything until she gets a 1911 added to her collection. Preferably one made in Arkansas.

Wilson ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies