U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 03:34 PM

738 posts, read 696,778 times

Advertisements

I feel we need to return certain land to the Native Americans, especially if it's just sitting there like most BLM land.

Found this interesting in my research on the topic. Eagerly awaiting the outcome.

Supreme Court: Should Eastern Oklahoma Be Considered An Indian Reservation? (NPR)

Other interesting articles on the topic of returning Native American lands:

In Tribe v. State Cases, Supreme Court Shifts Support to Native Americans (Governing)

Returning Stolen Land to Native Tribes, One Lot at a Time (Civil Eats)

The US government should cede territory back to Native Americans (The Guardian)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM

3,800 posts, read 3,890,725 times
Great idea. Please contact your Democratic presidential candidates. They should run on this to beat Trump in 2020, along with reparations.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM

Yet, Trump's new pick for BLM Director wants to sell it instead of doing the right thing.

Trump’s pick for managing federal lands doesn’t believe the government should have any (Washington Post)

Old 07-31-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Great idea. Please contact your Democratic presidential candidates. They should run on this to beat Trump in 2020, along with reparations.
You don't think it's right to give back land that was stolen? I'm not for reparations at all. To any group.

Land, different story.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM

18,579 posts, read 9,128,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
You don't think it's right to give back land that was stolen? I'm not for reparations at all. To any group.

Land, different story.
How was it stolen?

Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Land, different story.
Most land was stolen by one group or another.
All land was stolen in North America.
You are a resident of Florida, you do realize all of the state of Florida is "stolen" land, right? The current people who govern and vote in Florida are not the first human inhabitants. Come back to me when you give back your own house to the Pensacola peoples.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM

7,422 posts, read 4,305,964 times
As much as we try to say it's not the case, might does indeed make right.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:51 PM

4,961 posts, read 5,849,284 times
Quote:

Land, different story.
Sure. The Normans should return England to the Saxons, the Saxons should return it to the Britons.

Perhaps the French should return their land to the Goths, who got it from the Romans, who got it from the Celts.

We could return land to the Indians of Mongolian decent, and the could return it to the Solutrian decent peoples ( of European decent, the Clovis people that predate paleo-Indians), and they could return it to the Red Paint people that predate them, and also share European connections.

Well, since the Red Paint people and Clovis peoples are the earliest settlers in North America yet identified by archeology, and since they both have European connections, I guess reparations have already been taken care of and the right people already have possession of the land.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sure. The Normans should return England to the Saxons, the Saxons should return it to the Britons.

Perhaps the French should return their land to the Goths, who got it from the Romans, who got it from the Celts.

We could return land to the Indians of Mongolian decent, and the could return it to the Solutrian decent peoples ( of European decent, the Clovis people that predate paleo-Indians), and they could return it to the Red Paint people that predate them, and also share European connections.

Well, since the Red Paint people and Clovis peoples are the earliest settlers in North America yet identified by archeology, and since they both have European connections, I guess reparations have already been taken care of and the right people already have possession of the land.
Modern Europeans mostly do not descent from the original Neolithic European inhabitants. Most Europeans today only have 10-20% admixture with the original inhabitants of Europe.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Most land was stolen by one group or another.
All land was stolen in North America.
You are a resident of Florida, you do realize all of the state of Florida is "stolen" land, right? The current people who govern and vote in Florida are not the first human inhabitants. Come back to me when you give back your own house to the Pensacola peoples.
The Panzacola was their name. Learn about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_people

So, you're leaving out the part where I said "land that's just sitting there like most BLM land". The west is full of large swathes of land that the government hordes. It should be returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or