U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

23,458 posts, read 12,413,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I'm still waiting for a gay couple to try and get a same sex marriage ceremony in a Muslim Mosque. Or, like in this case, an openly gay try to have their relative's service in a Muslim Mosque. I got a pretty good idea what the answer and outcome of the request would be, but would like to see if the media blows it up to front page news for years like they did the cake bakery story. I'm betting we'd hear absolutely nothing about the Muslims saying, not No butt F...K! NO!.
As a straight couple I was denied getting married in the Catholic church in the early 80's - -you didn't hear about that did you.

LOL.

The point of the story is the guy who died isn't gay...and because his son is, the church should not deny the dead man his funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

15,121 posts, read 13,406,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm convinced that the only reason some churches shun gay people is because gay people are unlikely to pump out loads of babies. More babies = more future tithers = $$$
No, most conservative church people find gay sex acts or sins far more offensive than straight ones. They may find oral and anal sex acts with the opposite sex too offensive to do. Had the gay guy, instead been straight and divorced, he could have had his dad's funeral in that church. Also if he was straight and living and sleeping unmarried with another woman. However, if he had a position in the church when that was discovered, such as being Sunday school teacher, he would likely be asked to step down from it.

Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

51,044 posts, read 26,903,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is a christian church. No mercy, no forgiveness. Just like Jesus preached.
I know! Amazing, ainít it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I'm still waiting for a gay couple to try and get a same sex marriage ceremony in a Muslim Mosque. Or, like in this case, an openly gay try to have their relative's service in a Muslim Mosque. I got a pretty good idea what the answer and outcome of the request would be, but would like to see if the media blows it up to front page news for years like they did the cake bakery story. I'm betting we'd hear absolutely nothing about the Muslims saying, not No butt F...K! NO!.
Last I checked, this thread was about the intolerance of a Christian Church to allow a man a funeral. The church is denying him a funeral because his gay son will attend.

Make a thread about Muslim fanaticism if you want to explore the topic. Frankly, Iím not interested.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

4,825 posts, read 950,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Another person who doesn't believe in science. Why am I not surprised?

There have been people who are gay since the beginning of time. It has also been seen in nature in the animal kingdom.

And at this point, who the hell even cares besides Pence who thinks he can convert them?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...homosexuality/
Even if there was an orientation gene, just because one could hypothetically have it doesn't mean they will act on it. Hypothetically, a person could have a gay gene but is attracted to a member of the opposite. Whether or not they are straight or bisexual in that situation is debatable.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

11,095 posts, read 6,162,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
This is both sad and cruel. It's the guy's father, for goodness sake. But it's a Baptist church and they have their doctrine to prioritize.
This is just more proof that fundamentalist churches are not CHRISTians because it's clear they have never heard of Jesus "love one another as I have loved you" Christ.

They're probably scratching their heads and saying, "Who is this Jesus guy everyone is always wanting to talk to us about? Never heard of the guy!"

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

8,991 posts, read 8,016,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The ďlifestyle choiceĒ is whether to live in shame in the closet or to be open about it. Not whether to be gay.

Of course it is. However, it's much more convenient for the OP to be intentional thick about what was being communicated.

OP - if you are making a choice to sleep with men rather than women, you're not gay, you're bi. That's the only time choice comes into play.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

15,535 posts, read 7,939,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I thought that among liberals its taboo to claim that being gay is a choice? So gayness isn't an innate quality that can't be discriminated against?
You shouldn't discriminate against anyone for any reason IMO.

Not sure what the point is with your thread - you want to discriminate against gay people....

Very strange.

I don't discriminate against fornicators or adulterers in my life even though I know they choose to do those things. Other people's sex life isn't something IMO that warrants discriminatory behavior unless they are a rapist or some sort of molester.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

33,414 posts, read 20,227,179 times
Quote:
https://newschannel9.com/news/local/...-funeral-plans

So this article seems to be about a church discriminating against this gay person and refusing to let him attend his father's funeral because of his homosexuality.

But the liberal national sources don't quote this guy completely.

er the family's request, Goodman's father will not be named in this story.
"They're punishing my dad for a lifestyle choice I've made. Its not me up there in a casket. It's him," said Goodman.
Goodman's 71-year-old father has very few dying wishes.
This is so petty. Who cares if he chose to be gay or he was born gay. This is about his dad, not his choice.

You wonder why so many people dislike the judgmental church goers. As a Christian, I call b.s. on this.

Yikes.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,015,507 times
Quote:
https://newschannel9.com/news/local/...-funeral-plans

So this article seems to be about a church discriminating against this gay person and refusing to let him attend his father's funeral because of his homosexuality.

But the liberal national sources don't quote this guy completely.

er the family's request, Goodman's father will not be named in this story.
"They're punishing my dad for a lifestyle choice I've made. Its not me up there in a casket. It's him," said Goodman.
Goodman's 71-year-old father has very few dying wishes.
Okay, first and foremost, of course this church has the right to choose weather or not they will perform church services for anyone. With that being said, regardless of theology, denying this man for these reasons seems to me to be the complete opposite of what the church is supposed to represent. I'm sorry to say it, but the majority of the Christian churches out there are filled with people who in no way embody the ideals and values of their savior, Jesus Christ. Period. And to deny this man a burial because of choices his son has made in his life is ridiculous and wrong. The self-righteous attitude so many "Christians" share is sickening. These people are humans, just like the rest of us, and often guilty of far more egregious sins than those around them who do not spend time in church every week. I have met so many horrible "Christians" over the course of my life that I was totally turned off of the church I had attended since my youth. I now consider myself agnostic. I do not hold strong to any particular doctrine, but I do believe in God. And since we are ALL God's creations according to pretty much any religious text you can find, I can not see how it is a good thing to deny a man a decent burial just because you do not agree with the choices of his son. Whatever happened to being "fishers of men"?

Now, with all that being said, I'm personally still on the ropes when it comes to the question of weather or not "gay" people are born gay or if they choose to be gay. I have personally seen plenty of evidence that many people who identify as being gay made that choice for themselves. However, I can not discount the possibility that some people are in fact "born" gay. I mean look, all of our feelings are simply chemical reactions. So it is entirely possible that a person could be born whose brain works differently than the majority of the species, resulting in people who are wired to not follow natural laws which demand reproduction, and instead favor those of their own sex. I think the question of "natural homosexuality" will remain unanswered for many years to come.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

4,226 posts, read 949,540 times
Iím not sure why anyone would choose to be gay? Itís not an easy life, itís filled with discrimination, hatred, and sometimes violence. My partner and I know this very well, but this is who we are, and at this point, we donít really care what people think about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies