U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 PM

9,671 posts, read 5,425,592 times

Advertisements

I was always told, "Hate the sin but love the sinner." Or is that too inconvenient for the church now?

PS. whether being gay is a choice or not is irrelevant. It is considered sin and the church should still show its love for the sinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:52 PM

5,182 posts, read 2,631,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
When my son told me, he was really sweet. I kind of wonder why he thought I would not accept him since I had made my views clear on many occasions. But so many of his friends had faced this kind of thing. I suppose it got to him. He asked me what I would think if he told me he was gay. I replied, I would then think you were gay. Is that a problem? He replied, Mom I am gay. Oh! Good! Well I hope you find some wonderful man to love. We got on to talking. And at some point the thing about choice came up. I said something like, not like I care if it is a choice or not... and he said, Mom, I am not a moron. Why would I choose this? People hate you for this. Sigh. I had to agree he was right.

Son too. But young enough that they never "did it" was, apparently, no big issue. It was short lived.

I am happy for you both!! And cheers to your loving husband!
Right now in the lgbt community, there are two schools of thought. One side wants everyone to come out asap as young as they can. Be damn with what people think. The other camp (I belong to this one) encourages gay youths to stay deep in the closet until they can stand on their own two feet. Err on the side of caution.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:25 PM

15,133 posts, read 13,409,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

Now, with all that being said, I'm personally still on the ropes when it comes to the question of weather or not "gay" people are born gay or if they choose to be gay. I have personally seen plenty of evidence that many people who identify as being gay made that choice for themselves.
Why would anybody choose to be gay? Because he or she found that the gay sex acts felt better or were a bigger turn than the straight sex acts?

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

12,537 posts, read 9,993,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Right now in the lgbt community, there are two schools of thought. One side wants everyone to come out asap as young as they can. Be damn with what people think. The other camp (I belong to this one) encourages gay youths to stay deep in the closet until they can stand on their own two feet. Err on the side of caution.
The camps I have seen is for people to be who they are, genuine.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

11,885 posts, read 9,434,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I was always told, "Hate the sin but love the sinner." Or is that too inconvenient for the church now?

PS. whether being gay is a choice or not is irrelevant. It is considered sin and the church should still show its love for the sinner.
What church?

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

8,988 posts, read 8,019,729 times
Quote:
Actually gay people can and have had sex with members of the opposite sex. They often choose to stay hidden in the closet even through getting married. What a horrible way to live. The poor folks who find themselves having to conform OR be who they are. Awful.

Sure, and straight men rape other men in prison.

This discussion is about attraction and love, not what physical acts we can convince/force ourselves to do.

I have several gay friends that have told me stories about "trying to be straight" when they were younger and I agree it's sad and awful.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

8,988 posts, read 8,019,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a handful of female friends that were gay at one time, but later went back to guys...every one of them claimed it WAS a choice, most of them viewed it as a phase in their lives.

Hint: There weren't gay, then.

They probably fall somewhere in the middle of the Kinsey scale and decided, for that time, they'd prefer to be with women. It happens.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

11,885 posts, read 9,434,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Hint: There weren't gay, then.

They probably fall somewhere in the middle of the Kinsey scale and decided, for that time, they'd prefer to be with women. It happens.
Yup. They were just fed up with men. The problem with this is most women I have met who have done this still ended up in bad relationships with women. Domestic abuse is also extremely high in same sex relationships.

I canít imagine the flip side of this and seeing dudes fed up with women so they switched sides.

Those women arenít gay, just desperate for love and willing to open the dating pool.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

2,797 posts, read 929,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know! Amazing, ain’t it?

Last I checked, this thread was about the intolerance of a Christian Church to allow a man a funeral. The church is denying him a funeral because his gay son will attend.

Make a thread about Muslim fanaticism if you want to explore the topic. Frankly, I’m not interested.
And you've proven my point precisely. Both are examples of prejudges. However, much like 90 % of the Dem liberal run news agencies in which they only care to report about certain instances that fall within the realm of their agenda, you've gone and proven that very thing in your response.

You're only interested in confronting a Christian Church involved in suspected prejudges, but aren't in the least bit interested in a different religion doing the same exact thing.

CNN would probably respond the same way as you.....instead of "starting a new thread", they'd say "Open your own media channel".

Your nothing more than a hypocrite.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

5,182 posts, read 2,631,468 times
Quote:
The camps I have seen is for people to be who they are, genuine.
You can't really be genuine or develop into your full potential if you are homeless at 15-16. You can't be genuine and live a full life if you lose your job because people feel uncomfortable working with a gay man.

By the way, I lost a professional job because I came out.

Nowadays, I err on the side of caution. Too many christian bigots around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies