U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
14,890 posts, read 9,232,148 times
Reputation: 9945

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Huh? It was apportioned based upon production.

How exactly should the subsidy be applied? Just randomly or do you have something else in mind?
Sure it was. Yeah because Trumps plan is working out so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 AM
 
52,337 posts, read 42,100,175 times
Reputation: 32664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The government in pouring in billions of dollars in bailouts to keep them in business. We are looking at over $30 billion so far, and who knows how much more unannounced.
We were specifically discussing the continuing trend of the closures of Wisconsin Dairy farms.

By default then if the aid they're being given is meant to offset the trade damage, the additional closures would largely be due to the other forces already in play.

So if there were no aid, then the case could be made more strongly that the closures had a strong(er) component due to the trade war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 AM
 
30,101 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Reputation: 13996
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Brilliant-


That would result in doubling of your food prices and elimination of food stamps (the programs are tied).


Next "solution" please!
Disagree on food prices doubling. Farmers might actually grow crops that consumers want instead of corn used to produce high fructose corn syrup and corn for ethanol i.e crops politicians want. Additionally if we stop paying farmers not to grow crops via the various welfare schemes in place, that land might actually be used again for crops.
More supply, more competition= lower, not higher prices.
And if you eliminate the spending of everyones money (taxes) on subsidies and food stamps, the consumer at large will have that money to spend on food or other things.
Well unless you want the govt to take that same money and throw it other welfare schemes like so many of the entitled and dependent do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:14 AM
 
52,337 posts, read 42,100,175 times
Reputation: 32664
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sure it was. Yeah because Trumps plan is working out so well.
You're not making sense. We're talking about the aid allocation, not the trade war or even if aid should be provided.

The newspapers are saying that the payouts are in relation to production and thus the larger farms are getting more $$$.

You objected to this, so I'm asking you how it should be apportioned? Since you seem to be dodging the point it seems you were just arbitrarily saying it was bad without actually thinking it through as you don't have any alternative suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,408 posts, read 7,586,549 times
Reputation: 16028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You mean refusing to adapt to a failed Trump policy. Try to keep up. They HAD the markets before this idiot gave them away in an ill-conceived tariff scheme.
Tariffs never work over the long run, and that used to be emphasized in every public school before the NEA hijacked this point for purposes of indoctrination. Trump, unfortunately, seized upon the point to appeal to some of the lesser - enlightened within his own coalition. There just aren't enough people who recognize the need for an open economy to carry the day, but this is the lesser of two evils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,449 posts, read 34,648,104 times
Reputation: 10600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We were specifically discussing the continuing trend of the closures of Wisconsin Dairy farms.

By default then if the aid they're being given is meant to offset the trade damage, the additional closures would largely be due to the other forces already in play.

So if there were no aid, then the case could be made more strongly that the closures had a strong(er) component due to the trade war.
Obviously far more farms would be going under if they were not being bailed out. Unfortunately it looks like more and more are going under despite of the bail-outs.

Having said that, it seems the mega-farms are getting the lions share of the bail out money, which (in a way) makes sense since they would require more money due to the size of their operation. Half the money went to top-10, and the smaller farms split the rest.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UP28K

Bulk of Trump's U.S. farm aid goes to biggest and wealthiest farmers: advocacy group

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More than half of the Trump administration’s $8.4 billion in trade aid payments to U.S. farmers through April was received by the top 10% of recipients, the country’s biggest and most successful farmers, a study by an advocacy group showed on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 AM
 
23,704 posts, read 12,507,533 times
Reputation: 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
And the farmers continue to support Trump. I guess they enjoy the taxpayer handouts they're getting.
Do we know if they will continue to support him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 AM
 
5,087 posts, read 1,895,992 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
And the farmers continue to support Trump. I guess they enjoy the taxpayer handouts they're getting.



They get big fat public assistance checks to do nothing. That is why the farmers keep electing Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 AM
 
11,137 posts, read 6,199,341 times
Reputation: 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Do we know if they will continue to support him?
Yes, it seems these fools continue to support him even as they circle the drain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/19/farm...r-for-now.html

It makes me feel absolutely no sympathy for them as they lose their family farms and their livelihoods. They are getting exactly what they voted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 AM
 
38,750 posts, read 15,185,621 times
Reputation: 25077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Obviously far more farms would be going under if they were not being bailed out. Unfortunately it looks like more and more are going under despite of the bail-outs.

Having said that, it seems the mega-farms are getting the lions share of the bail out money, which (in a way) makes sense since they would require more money due to the size of their operation. Half the money went to top-10, and the smaller farms split the rest.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UP28K

Bulk of Trump's U.S. farm aid goes to biggest and wealthiest farmers: advocacy group

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More than half of the Trump administrationís $8.4 billion in trade aid payments to U.S. farmers through April was received by the top 10% of recipients, the countryís biggest and most successful farmers, a study by an advocacy group showed on Tuesday.
Shocking news that more than half the bribe money is going to the top 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top