U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 AM

11,890 posts, read 9,438,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
I'm not reading a 49 page PDF. And without defending either sentence, I don't think your anecdotal examples are similar enough to make a valid comparison.

I'm sure wealth is a factor though. Good lawyers are expensive.
Translation.

Im not reading anything that refutes my opinion and has factual evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 AM

21,184 posts, read 10,204,404 times
Quote:
I'm not reading a 49 page PDF. And without defending either sentence, I don't think your anecdotal examples are similar enough to make a valid comparison.

Just do a search for racial gap in men's sentencing and you'll find studies and articles addressing this.

And actually, wealth doesn't always help either. Prosecutors will throw every charge at you that they can and then entice you to agreeing to a plea deal with one or two charges to keep their conviction rate high. So some innocent people who have hired good lawyers, lost millions of dollars defending themselves, agree to a plea deal in the end that included a prison sentence because they can no longer pay to fight.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:17 AM

25,014 posts, read 9,764,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Just do a search for racial gap in men's sentencing and you'll find studies and articles addressing this.

And actually, wealth doesn't always help either. Prosecutors will throw every charge at you that they can and then entice you to agreeing to a plea deal with one or two charges to keep their conviction rate high. So some innocent people who have hired good lawyers, lost millions of dollars defending themselves, agree to a plea deal in the end that included prison sentences because they can no longer pay to fight.
Makes ya wonder why Lady Justice wears that blindfold. Instead she should have an open purse on her person with the inscription "Place Donation Here".

Old 08-02-2019, 08:20 AM

21,184 posts, read 10,204,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Makes ya wonder why Lady Justice wears that blindfold. Instead she should have an open purse on her person with the inscription "Place Donation Here".
She doesn't need a purse - that's what the scales are for.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:25 AM

25,014 posts, read 9,764,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
She doesn't need a purse - that's what the scales are for.
Ha! Good one.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:26 AM

5,033 posts, read 3,008,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why not just obey the law? If it's illegal to possess a bag of weed, don't do it. If you choose to do so anyway, you do so knowing it's in violation of the law and you risk being caught.
Because being complacent is dangerous. Just saying "follow the law" without any thought as to why it's a law just gives incentive for governments to be more controlling.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 AM

2,473 posts, read 1,793,404 times
Quote:

Here is a summary, a quick read
https://www.ussc.gov/research/resear...ces-sentencing

Just for the record in reference to your prior question, in these cases, similarly situated means when the offenders have similar criminal backgrounds, so they aren't looking at Black offenders with long criminal histories vs White offenders with no criminal history.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:22 AM

3,621 posts, read 713,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Apparently.

So it's 1939 Germany and I see Rachel walk out of a deli without her star on. According to her, I have to report her.

It's 1955 Alabama and Rachel spots my dark-skinned self drinking from the wrong water fountain. According to her, she turns me in.

Everything copacetic here. Ain't nothing wrong with this picture. Move along lemmings.
You libertarians are deranged. You're trying to compare a Hitler-led country where people are murdered for their religion to what we have in this country: laws involving pot that you don't like. If you think this country is on par with Nazi Germany, since those are the comparisons you keep making, why don't you move to a different country?

I have never in my life experienced so many American citizens with such disdain for America and its laws.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM

5,033 posts, read 3,008,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You libertarians are deranged. You're trying to compare a Hitler-led country where people are murdered for their religion to what we have in this country: laws involving pot that you don't like. If you think this country is on par with Nazi Germany, since those are the comparisons you keep making, why don't you move to a different country?

I have never in my life experienced so many American citizens with such disdain for America and its laws.
Gotta have disdane for certain laws.

People should never fear their governments. Governments should fear their people.

And as for Nazi. I mean, these days, were not like Nazi Germany, but we have sone some Nazi type stuff when you look back at the treatment Native Americans, Slavery, and Japanese internment camps. This country definitely has its sins.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:08 AM

649 posts, read 179,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously. The disparity is driven by fear of black men.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white...b09071f69cc461

The Marshall Report found
OP, et al:
I'd like to open up with my personal story in hopes that it will help.
Quick description of me: a middle aged white woman with a graduate degree and great professional job. Fit, healthy, law-abiding.

In 1996, I attempted to break it off with my fiance. He went crazy and scaled the wall of my apartment building to break in and hold me at knife point. By the grace of God, I escaped, a neighbor helped me, called cops, etc. They went calmly the following day and "talked to him" but let him go. The Grand Jury decided not to prosecute, though the neighbor and I both attested that he threatened to kill me both in words and action, with a deadly weapon. He is a white boy from the Dallas suburbs, whose dad is a connected business owner

In 2015, my husband and our 16 yo daughter got into an argument that turned physical when he reached over to take her phone away for not following the rules. She was very angry with him, and called the cops on him. Before they investigated anything (she answered the door, clearly not that injured), they grabbed my husband who was doing laundry and threw him across the kitchen table. He never resisted, and had no previous record of any type, not even a traffic stop. He was roughed up by the cops, went to jail, and got a felony charge against him. He is black.

FYI- the white guy did the same thing to his next girlfriend and again I had to testify how dangerous he is, and again he got nothing

Does this clarify the disparity for you at all? I may not have believed it had I not had to live it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or