U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:59 AM

8,329 posts, read 11,183,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
There are neighborhoods where mostly black people live that have massive crime problems. How does removing the criminals from those neighborhoods harm black people? If anything it helps. I used to live in such a neighborhood and I would have been glad to see any criminal removed from the streets.
Dumbest post of the day. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

2,557 posts, read 1,141,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Dumbest post of the day. Congratulations!
Eureka, CA: 1.2% black. No surprise there. Do you have any idea what you're talking about on this subject?

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 2,368,722 times
Quote:
Eureka, CA: 1.2% black. No surprise there. Do you have any idea what you're talking about on this subject?
many people say they love diversity ...... as long as they aren't exposed to it ....too funny

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

2,557 posts, read 1,141,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
OP, et al:
I'd like to open up with my personal story in hopes that it will help.
Quick description of me: a middle aged white woman with a graduate degree and great professional job. Fit, healthy, law-abiding.

In 1996, I attempted to break it off with my fiance. He went crazy and scaled the wall of my apartment building to break in and hold me at knife point. By the grace of God, I escaped, a neighbor helped me, called cops, etc. They went calmly the following day and "talked to him" but let him go. The Grand Jury decided not to prosecute, though the neighbor and I both attested that he threatened to kill me both in words and action, with a deadly weapon. He is a white boy from the Dallas suburbs, whose dad is a connected business owner

In 2015, my husband and our 16 yo daughter got into an argument that turned physical when he reached over to take her phone away for not following the rules. She was very angry with him, and called the cops on him. Before they investigated anything (she answered the door, clearly not that injured), they grabbed my husband who was doing laundry and threw him across the kitchen table. He never resisted, and had no previous record of any type, not even a traffic stop. He was roughed up by the cops, went to jail, and got a felony charge against him. He is black.

FYI- the white guy did the same thing to his next girlfriend and again I had to testify how dangerous he is, and again he got nothing

Does this clarify the disparity for you at all? I may not have believed it had I not had to live it myself.
Okay, there's an anecdote. But there are many predominately black neighborhoods, towns, hell whole cities in this country that have awful crime problems. Do you really think that the worst areas of, say, St. Louis would be better off with more criminals on the streets?

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

21,184 posts, read 10,204,404 times
Quote:
Okay, there's an anecdote. But there are many predominately black neighborhoods, towns, hell whole cities in this country that have awful crime problems. Do you really think that the worst areas of, say, St. Louis would be better off with more criminals on the streets?
You're missing the point. There ARE violent criminals on the street because our prisons are filled with guys who were incarcerated for drug crimes.

Who would you rather have out in the public - someone who moved a pound of pot or someone who physically assaulted people?

Old Today, 08:02 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,149,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
If you dont think mass incarceration of young black men, produces inequality, with single parents, kids growing up without fathers, high drop out rates, poor choice in jobs when freed etc...

All this creates a negative feed back loop that just produces poverty...

And the Republican answer is... No, they are just lazy and want our white welfare money. ALL their fault.

Seems like the FACTS are... the young black population was heavily targeted by polices, that incarcerated them at a MUCH higher rate with higher sentences.

This created almost two generations of lost or broken African American families!!

After finally fighting for and getting Civil Rights Act in 1965ish.. they had 10-15 ok years, before justice reforms cracked down on them with a vengeance!

Then the Republicans are claiming its by choice..

This sums up much of the last 20-50 years of incarceration in the US

Old Today, 08:28 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,149,191 times
Quote:
My question to you is, what exactly is your motive for creating this thread?

Old Today, 09:17 AM

927 posts, read 736,605 times
...OP doesn't understand the application or definition of "mass incarceration" and is applying it extremely liberally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or