U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

25,004 posts, read 9,753,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If possessing the drug is illegal, why even possess in the first place?
Because property rights are absolute, master?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

29,899 posts, read 16,534,752 times
Quote:
Asks someone who broke multiple laws today

Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM

27,759 posts, read 17,753,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
There are neighborhoods where mostly black people live that have massive crime problems. How does removing the criminals from those neighborhoods harm black people? If anything it helps. I used to live in such a neighborhood and I would have been glad to see any criminal removed from the streets.
There is no "mass incarceration". There was simply a decision to finally enforce our laws and prosecute criminals. The focus on the "crime bill" of the '90s has resulted in a drastic drop in the murder rate, particularly among blacks. Tens of thousands of black people that would otherwise have been killed, are alive today because of this.

Old Today, 02:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,001,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is no "mass incarceration". There was simply a decision to finally enforce our laws and prosecute criminals. The focus on the "crime bill" of the '90s has resulted in a drastic drop in the murder rate, particularly among blacks. Tens of thousands of black people that would otherwise have been killed, are alive today because of this.
Criminals, as in people who were seen as lesser than. You can deem anyone a criminal by making up a stupid law over something insignificant as a bag a weed. And introduce racism to the mix and you got more blacks being charged and the charges wreck their lives, even if they’re innocent.

I don’t hate cops but all the bootlicking here is ridiculous..

The justice system is setup against us. Anyone who isn’t rich, and especially anyone who isn’t white. It ruins lives. It needs an overhaul.

Old Today, 05:26 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,138,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
https://www.aclu.org/other/marijuana...ts-punishments

• Harsh mandatory minimum sentencing laws for drug offenses result in prisons overfilled with non-violent marijuana offenders serving long sentences, often disproportionate to their crime. Take, for example, the case of Joe Pinson, convicted in 1993 of marijuana cultivation and possession - his first offense - and sentenced to a mandatory five-year jail term, despite the fact that he grew the marijuana because it helped treat his debilitating asthma symptoms.< Source: ACLU Spring Spotlight 98, above website.

• Under New York State law, the penalty for possession of 16 ounces of marijuana is equivalent to that for illegally selling a firearm, or for possession an explosive bomb or machine gun: a minimum jail sentence of one to three years (and a maximum of seven). The penalty for selling 16 ounces of marijuana is equivalent to that for illegally selling 10 firearms: 3? to 15 years in jail. The absurd message: pot is as or more harmful than guns. Source: "Drugs and Guns in New York State," compiled by Carl Bromley, from The Nation magazine, Sept. 20, 1999, "Beyond Legalization: New Ideas for Ending the War on Drugs."
You call 16 ounces of weed a small amount? Man, you must really smoke. I remember one time when my buddies and I pitched in and bought one ounce, we felt like we'd really hit the big time.

Old Today, 05:33 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,138,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Criminals, as in people who were seen as lesser than. You can deem anyone a criminal by making up a stupid law over something insignificant as a bag a weed. And introduce racism to the mix and you got more blacks being charged and the charges wreck their lives, even if they’re innocent.

I don’t hate cops but all the bootlicking here is ridiculous..

The justice system is setup against us. Anyone who isn’t rich, and especially anyone who isn’t white. It ruins lives. It needs an overhaul.
But again, how can someone's life be wrecked for being charged for something that is insignificant? Why would anyone refuse to hire you for breaking a law that everyone agrees is "stupid" to begin with?

And you know as well as I do why black kids would be more likely to be arrested for smoking weed than white kids: because they openly smoke it on city sidewalks. I saw a black kid sitting on a bus one time rolling up a blunt, in front of everyone, in the middle of the day.

Old Today, 05:37 AM

3,594 posts, read 708,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Criminals, as in people who were seen as lesser than. You can deem anyone a criminal by making up a stupid law over something insignificant as a bag a weed. And introduce racism to the mix and you got more blacks being charged and the charges wreck their lives, even if theyíre innocent.

I donít hate cops but all the bootlicking here is ridiculous..

The justice system is setup against us. Anyone who isnít rich, and especially anyone who isnít white. It ruins lives. It needs an overhaul.
Why not just obey the law? If it's illegal to possess a bag of weed, don't do it. If you choose to do so anyway, you do so knowing it's in violation of the law and you risk being caught.

Old Today, 05:39 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 1 day ago)

8,204 posts, read 3,212,296 times
Quote:
Cuz I wanna get high.

Old Today, 05:51 AM

3,594 posts, read 708,016 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Cuz I wanna get high.
Then you are choosing to knowingly break the law and, if caught, be deemed a criminal. Your decision. I decided to follow laws and therefore have no criminal record.

Old Today, 05:53 AM

303 posts, read 119,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Then you are choosing to knowingly break the law and, if caught, be deemed a criminal. Your decision. I decided to follow laws and therefore have no criminal record.

Would you harbor Jews during the Holocaust or turn them in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or