Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
define criminal
Low-life troublemakers caught and not yet caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
I think you're misunderstanding what's being referred to. There have been laws that resulted in the mass incarceration of black males. Bill Clinton's three strikes law incarcerated millions of black males.

I know people don't want to hear this, but studies have shown that sentencing is much harsher for black males than it is for other groups. Justice isn't blind. The end result is incarceration of people for piddly marijuana possession. Tulsi Gabbard referenced Kamala Harris doing this during the debate last night.

Last edited by MPowering1; 08-01-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
There's not much point to anyone posting here on any topic, really. It accomplishes nothing, yet every single one of us here still does it.
Yep...in my opinion, the biggest factor in the high crime in largely black areas has been the breakdown of the family which was caused by President Johnson and the Democrats putting most of them on welfare, food stamps, and subsidized housing. By the way, white people are also having this issue now as well as many young just leach off the system to sustain their lifestyle.

I guess putting large number in prison reduces the crime a bit but that is an expensive and non productive way to address the problem. I don't know for sure how to change this but I think it starts with good education systems, good values taught, and good job opportunities.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Seriously. The disparity is driven by fear of black men.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white...b09071f69cc461

Quote:
White People Who Kill Black Men Are 8 Times More Likely To Walk Free
The Marshall Report found
Quote:
The report found that just two percent of all homicides committed by civilians that were found to be justifiable. However, in nearly 17 percent of the cases in which a black man was killed by a white civilian over the last three decades, the homicide was considered “justifiable.” One of the most high-profile examples of a “justified homicide” is the 2012 killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, who was later acquitted.

By contrast, when Hispanic people killed black men, around 5.5 percent of those homicides were considered justifiable, when white people killed Hispanic people, 3.1 percent of those homicides were considered justifiable, and when black men killed white people, just .8 percent were considered justifiable.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously. The disparity is driven by fear of black men.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white...b09071f69cc461

The Marshall Report found
Your honor I was acting in self defense.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:33 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Drug selling, possessing, using- not crimes
Gambling-not a crime
Prostitution- not a crime
Initiating/committing violence against another - crime
Theft/damage of private property- crimes

Here are some other crimes: the various govt. welfare schemes that destroy families, min.wage laws that abolish entry level jobs, onerous rules and regs that that create barriers to new business start ups, compulsory govt education centers that are havens for violence, not to mention brain damage and have nothing to do with "education".

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-01-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
There are neighborhoods where mostly black people live that have massive crime problems. How does removing the criminals from those neighborhoods harm black people? If anything it helps. I used to live in such a neighborhood and I would have been glad to see any criminal removed from the streets.
They are arresting people for lots of non-violent drug offenses. They go to jail and it creates a bad cycle.

We put too dang many people in jail.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:26 AM

1,705 posts, read 537,577 times
The US has more people in Jail, adjusted for population then the USSR did under its darkest Gulag days!
The US incarcerates more black men, adjusted for population then South Africa did under Apartheid!

Young black men, are arrested more often for the same crimes then white men.
Young black men, get jailed more often for the same crimes then white men.
Young black men, get longer sentences for the same crimes then white men.

So, young black men, are arrested for non-violent drugs, get longer sentences, and are jailed more often.
This creates a vicious circle, destroying many of their lives, due to a record.
More broken families, loss in salary, education etc etc etc..

Its REAAAALY easy to blame black men, but the system that brakes up black families and how blacks are treated in the justice system gives a WHOLE other picture.

Institutional Racism... breaking up the Black family... then blaming them for it.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep...in my opinion, the biggest factor in the high crime in largely black areas has been the breakdown of the family which was caused by President Johnson and the Democrats putting most of them on welfare, food stamps, and subsidized housing. By the way, white people are also having this issue now as well as many young just leach off the system to sustain their lifestyle.

I guess putting large number in prison reduces the crime a bit but that is an expensive and non productive way to address the problem. I don't know for sure how to change this but I think it starts with good education systems, good values taught, and good job opportunities.

You provided a thoughtful response. I initial comment was due to the large number of threads on the first page that were racism vs white people cant say anything. I felt this was teed up for that purpose only but your comment was on point.

Welfare is a topic in the black community that is usually answered with two responses.

1) I think most black folks agree with your statement that welfare was not a great solution, but it was seen as the best solution at the time (hindsite 20/20). Black folk do not support welfare for abled bodied individuals that just don't want to work. But due to the media and ….. that brings me to number 2

2) Black folks also feel like they were set up. Black folks had no national voting power in the 1950's 60's and was just coming on board in the 70's (raw number totals) so we didn't vote Welfare in. But we got blamed for all the ills and issues related to the program.

It was a bait and switch. Here is something to help you guys, on comes welfare then BOOM, WELFARE is the reason your all lazy and not worth crap. Also because you have welfare we are not going to deal with education inequalities, jobless rates in black communities ect.

Its a touchy subject in black communities.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You provided a thoughtful response. I initial comment was due to the large number of threads on the first page that were racism vs white people cant say anything. I felt this was teed up for that purpose only but your comment was on point.

Welfare is a topic in the black community that is usually answered with two responses.

1) I think most black folks agree with your statement that welfare was not a great solution, but it was seen as the best solution at the time (hindsite 20/20). Black folk do not support welfare for abled bodied individuals that just don't want to work. But due to the media and ….. that brings me to number 2

2) Black folks also feel like they were set up. Black folks had no national voting power in the 1950's 60's and was just coming on board in the 70's (raw number totals) so we didn't vote Welfare in. But we got blamed for all the ills and issues related to the program.

It was a bait and switch. Here is something to help you guys, on comes welfare then BOOM, WELFARE is the reason your all lazy and not worth crap. Also because you have welfare we are not going to deal with education inequalities, jobless rates in black communities ect.

Its a touchy subject in black communities.
Solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies