U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 09:49 AM

11,121 posts, read 6,166,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
My understanding is that Lilith is just a myth!
So she's just one more myth in a whole book of myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 AM

14,759 posts, read 9,181,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is a red herring of sorts.

SJWs, Bible thumpers, Climate Changers, Law & Order Cons, etc all have their pet issues but the common denominator is the religion of the State (statism).

You can believe in any of that stuff if you want. More power to you. But when you organize to use the State's monopoly of force on others via law, regulation, policy etc in the name of your specific cause you've clearly assigned the State as your Highest Power.
Look at it this way. The use of religion is politics is a tool Conservatives love to hear “God bless the United States”. The left does it too but conservatives eat it up. Look at our currency , our schools, the pledge of Allegiance . All influenced by the Conservative right.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 290,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
We always hear how women are "strong and independent". But really, if women are so strong and independent"
then why were they so easily "oppressed" ? and the like in the first place?

Well "women" are REALLY strong now because the SJWs/PC Patrols want men pretending to be women to dominate female sports.

How's that for "equality?" LOL.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 AM

32,734 posts, read 16,746,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShevyII View Post
Because they can not remove the lid from a jar...
You are pleased to be jocular (sorry, read Dickens last night), but you're actually touching on something pretty damn interesting. Jars can be engineered to require pretty much any amount of effort to open. And yet, we keep making jars that require a degree of physical strength that a lot of women can't muster.

And instead of looking at that as poor jar design, we look at it as an instance of women falling short of some unspoken expectation.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:54 AM

25,007 posts, read 9,759,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I don't think you understand your latest buzzword, "statism." It was an amendment made to the constitution by our government that helped to secure equal rights for all. The ERA.

https://www.equalrightsamendment.org/
Rights come from natural law, not man (which includes women ).

And statism isn't a buzzword. It's the reality that people accept the State as their highest power with infallible divinity.

Women have been oppressed via the mechanism of the State for one simple reason: enough people over various interest groups were willing to sacrifice the rights of women for their cause. Since the State is run by mob rule (what you call democracy) and rights come from the State and not natural law (according to statism) anyone or any group can be relegated to a lower status.

Women have been involved in the State's efforts to oppress other women.

Jews were involved in the State's efforts to oppress other Jews during WWII in Germany.

Minorities were involved in the State's efforts to oppress other minorities throughout U.S. history.

You aren't automatically weaker or incompetent based on a statute. The statute serves those who are willing to obey it. That's how individuals within oppressed groups have benefited from oppressing their own group.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Look at it this way. The use of religion is politics is a tool Conservatives love to hear “God bless the United States”. The left does it too but conservatives eat it up. Look at our currency , our schools, the pledge of Allegiance . All influenced by the Conservative right.
It's still a red herring.

If you believe in Jesus 24/7/365 and thump your Bible on your own time and don't infringe on my rights...more power to you.

If you believe in the SJW cause and want to march and boycott on your own time and don't infringe on my rights...more power to you.

It is when, and only when, the individual actively pursues the power of the State to infringe on the rights of others in the name of their cause via law, regulation, policy that it becomes morally and logically wrong.

My cause is anarchy. Its principle is non-violence. I can only try to convince you of its merits through non-aggression and respect for your property rights. I can't simply ignore those tenets to grab State power, even if temporarily, to force you to listen/act in a certain way.

Strip down what at least a few people within these causes believe, which is the actual cause, and I'm very open to it. Jesus talking about love, SWJ's talking about ending suffering, etc.

Cool.

But you turn around then say we'll just use the State to get this cause put into place and now you've defeated your whole purpose.

Obviously I don't believe but a few people within these causes are true believers. Show me a Bible thumper, a SJW, A Warmer, A Denier, A Democrat, A Republican and more often than not...in fact nearly all the time...I'm staring down a statist: someone who will use the power of the State to infringe on my right to live and let live as long as I don't initiate force on others.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You are pleased to be jocular (sorry, read Dickens last night), but you're actually touching on something pretty damn interesting. Jars can be engineered to require pretty much any amount of effort to open. And yet, we keep making jars that require a degree of physical strength that a lot of women can't muster.

And instead of looking at that as poor jar design, we look at it as an instance of women falling short of some unspoken expectation.
#Jars_R_Sexist

Old 08-01-2019, 10:15 AM

31,992 posts, read 20,169,090 times
OMG that SUCH a good point! We must not be strong or independent, we deserved to be subjugated.

My bad. I went and asked my husband's permission to post this.

Perhaps one may want to study some history?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-01-2019, 10:16 AM

11,618 posts, read 8,506,111 times
:
Quote:
Anymore of a myth than a talking snake?
:

Old 08-01-2019, 10:20 AM

30,542 posts, read 20,183,229 times
Quote:
Religion.
I was going to say evolution.

FTR, not getting your way isn't "oppression."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies