U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

15,540 posts, read 7,942,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..total BS
FYI - "black ghetto culture" is not a "thing" which is why said poster probably doesn't know about it.

I grew up in the ghetto and I'm black and I also don't know about "black ghetto culture." That's something that you and folks like you make up IMO.

I do know about historic cultural tenets of black Americans however. These existed long before "ghettos" of blacks came into existence and also existed within said ghetto, which is how I was reared in that culture. It centers on family bonds (and not a particular type of structure), a focus on education and economic improvement, community activism/volunteerism, faith/spirituality, and creativity.

ETA: I'll note IMO most of what is valuable to mainstream American, I guess you could call it "white" culture is basically materialism and a quest for money/wealth. Because black Americans for centuries were really locked out of being able to acquire wealth (whites would actually kill them for doing so and burn down neighborhoods/towns to boot) the historical currency of black America was not always about money like it has been for whites. It was more about dignity and respect within a community and living decent life with standards as a form of currency. For instance, when you have a black person called a "sell out" it means basically that they have given up our cultural currency for that of the mainstream - money/materialism and greed. IMO one of the detriment's of our people today is that more black Americans because we are no longer heavily oppressed and discriminated against are now trying to have this materialistic/greedy culture and are abandoning many of our historic tenets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

21,164 posts, read 10,196,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"July, 2019 we had a sitting potus tweeting racist tweets and" There was NOTHING racist about them.
True racists racism in EVERYTHING!

Whenever a non colored person says anything that disagrees with what a colored person says thay are called RACIST!
Ugh. You are not quick enough if you're still using the phrase 'colored person'.

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Status: "white culture is like living with radiation -IS" (set 16 hours ago)

849 posts, read 153,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Well why have black Americans been the demographic that has increased in educational attainment the most since 1980 if we don't focus on education lol.

FYI - education and intellectual pursuits are actually historic tenets of African American culture and both have always been a focus of the demographic.

The only person who told me I "talked like a white girl" was a white teacher. She also said I had a "white girl name." Of all the people I encounter, whites are usually the ones who are surprised by black me being intelligent, primarily because they, seemingly like yourself, have some rather outdated racist stereotypes about black people. I grew up in the ghetto with a single, unwed black teen mom and I never missed a day of school until high school. Education was always important in my own family. I attended an HBCU and am glad I did because I didn't have to deal with a lot of racial mess in college and I got to get a very in depth education about black culture in particular and what it really encompasses.
I'm glad to see you got an education, good for you. That means more black folks getting off the democrat plantation and getting red pilled. But regardless of your circumstances it is still a problem relative to other races. I have kids in school I see it with my own eyes. My wife is quite liberal and she sees it too. Look up drop rates and test scores.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

3,066 posts, read 889,850 times
Quote:
FYI - "black ghetto culture" is not a "thing"
no more than white hillbilly culture.....white red neck culture...etc....right?

BS

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

5,004 posts, read 3,712,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Until the Story of the hunt is told by the Lion, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter. African Proverb
Do you know who funds the Old Slave Market Museum, just curious....

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know about a black ghetto culture....I do know of a culture of descendants of enslaved Americans...one which was incubated by forced segregation....then white flight, redlining housing discrimination, etc, etc, couples with concentrated poverty and the legacy of a poverty rate 3 times that of whites.....a gap created from racial oppression and never closed. I also know that African immigrants, on the other hand, have the highest educational attainment of all immigrant groups, have low crime rates, have a different culture, etc, etc.

Living in a society dominated by white culture is like living with radiation. Eventually, it makes you sick and creates mutations and deformities. White racism has been akin to radiation to black culture, economics and psychology.
And yet if a white person said that living with black racism was akin to radiation, that being around it caused cancer and made them puke, oh boy, would that ever make CNN Primetime...

Excuse #102 on this thread. White oppression is radiation to blacks.

I would like just one FACT, not an excuse, not an opinion, not a philosophical view, not a Tweet, just a FACT to this...

Show me one black person who cannot make their mind up to do exactly what they want to do in this country. One. Who are so oppressed that, if they decided to become exactly what they wanted to be, stopped ignoring the excuses, stopped blaming others, and actually took action to be what they wanted to be. Show me ONE person who could not do this due to white oppression holding them back.

I show you lists of people who are actually being oppressed in countries like Liberia for example, but here we have "perceived" oppression and a victim mentality, not people who are actually being oppressed.

If you give me that ONE person's phone number, let me call them, and I will do my best to show them that they aren't victims, that they can think for themselves, and that they can be whatever they want to be here in America. All they need to do is decide to do it and start taking steps to do it... It really is that simple.

When you want to succeed more than you want to breath, you will most likely succeed, or at least fail in a positive direction...

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

9,995 posts, read 6,920,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Do you know who funds the Old Slave Market Museum, just curious....

I am sure that white people fund it. I don't have a problem with white people having their version of slavery. I am just not going to be a purchaser of it. I took tours in what are essentially black history museums where there were white people working there. No problem with that because black people were controlling the narrative because they were running the institution. I also know there are white people who are very good at telling the black story....like Tim Wise. I just have a problem, in a city like Charleston, with the black percentage of the population what it is in the area.....not being able to have at least half the people working in their being black. If this Museum was in Main or Vermont....then I could understand....but Charleston? Nope. That to me is just a continuation of the same.

It looks like in Charleston whites still have all the money....all the rich areas....then you go north and sure deep poverty where there are blacks.

I love the look and feel of the Area....its beautiful....more so than I ever heard about SC. However....the people there....could not deal with it long term. I went to the Market (where they used to sell the slaves out doors) and you have all type of people selling their crafts....blacks and whites. I go up to talk to some of the black basket weavers and they act like I am not even there. Then a white person comes by and they are smiling and grinning all up in their faces. Nope. I can't be around black people like that....with that old mentality. Of course....you are probably oblivious to any of this.....just like a fish is obvious to what water is.....even though its the fishes essence.

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Will note on Charleston, unlike Indentured Servant, I would have taken the tour anyway just to see what they were going to discuss. I've been pleasantly surprised and impressed at the knowledge of many white tour guides over the years when they were discussing/presenting black history sites and topics. I'm also glad that more white Americans have an interest in black American history.

That said, often on tours that are about black people or sites of significance to the black experience in America, them not having any black staff who has knowledge of these subjects on a more intimate manner means that they may not provide a holistic review of the site. I have unfortunately been on plantation tours for instance, where they did not speak at all about the slaves that built the home and they also didn't even tour the slave quarters. My family is from SC as well and so when I lived in Atlanta, I often went to SC. Haven't been able to do any tours yet in Charleston though, which I want to do. But I always said something on those tours and asked about the black people lol. I also would ask about certain topics they discussed - what the role of the slaves were for the site. When they didn't know anything, I'd suggest they hire a consultant or review the local area for descendants. Many of our presidential homes are doing just that . I was reading the other day about descendants of James Monroe's slaves were sought out in order to provide some insight into the lives of their ancestors as slaves of that president. Similar to how Monticello is now conducted amongst many. It was a long fight of sorts for black researchers, historians, and archeologists and white ones as well who saw the value in the stories of black America to highlight this part of our nation's history.

For Charleston, I'd be interested in the enslaved and free black populations. I've discovered a distant inlaw of my grandfather was a freed slave who actually became a slave trader! They did their "business" in Summerville SC primarily but also in Charleston.
There are quite a few families of freed slaves that have their lineage here in the Charleston area, my mom's side of the family were slave owners (and dirt farmers) and although I cannot speak for my maternal history and what they went through, there is a written history of them caring deeply (using the words loving, love) for their servants. In smaller towns, families of servants and owners were intertwined for generations, and they still live side-by-side even today. There's plenty of examples of white slaves in my family as well. In fact, my mom's maiden name is Bowers. Her original Bowers ancestor was an indentured servant (white slave) for almost his entire life, when his son married the son of the man who held his bondage, he was granted freedom and land, it's not entirely the same experience as the black African slaves had, but I'm sure it wasn't exactly the good life either.

There are some amazing research projects that have taken place on the local plantations, researches into lineage and geneological surveys done, a lot were burned during the Civil War and history had to be re-written in a sense, but it has come a long way since the internet was started.

The Old Slave Market Museum is funded largely in part by the SC African American Heritage Commission, which is led by a mostly black caucus. Who they choose to give tours in their museums is up to them, and certainly not a racists ploy by a secret white society as some choose to always resort to "RACIST!" alarm bells...

I grew up on James Island and wanted to be an archaeologist growing up. I actually spent a summer on a dig at Middleton Plantation digging the trash piles near the old slave quarters there, it was a very powerful summer as we dug up slave tags, bottles, and personal effects of the servants and got a glimpse into what it was like for the people that lived during those times on that plantation.

There was a plantation (on Folly Road) that we passed by daily that still had slave quarters standing on the driveway leading up to the plantation https://www.ccprc.com/1447/McLeod-Pl...-Historic-Site Heck, the neighborhood I grew up in was called Lawton Bluff https://south-carolina-plantations.c...on/lawton.html named after the Lawton Plantation. Growing up in SC it is unavoidable that you are intertwined with the past. It's inescapable.

Funny thing is, I've traveled to almost every state, Europe, Canada, South and Central America, Africa, and Asia. The most racist places I've traveled to is the Northeastern USA. Bar none.

NYC for example is still horribly segregated with ethnic groups everywhere, and the hatred for those that don't resemble you is rampant there. And it's a veritable melting pot compared to Vermont.

At least in the South we've had to come to grips with our past and deal with it on the daily, we live, work, play, and worship with those who were once slaves and we've come to know them as friends, neighbors, spouses, co-workers, etc.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; Yesterday at 05:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I am sure that white people fund it. I don't have a problem with white people having their version of slavery. I am just not going to be a purchaser of it. I took tours in what are essentially black history museums where there were white people working there. No problem with that because black people were controlling the narrative because they were running the institution. I also know there are white people who are very good at telling the black story....like Tim Wise. I just have a problem, in a city like Charleston, with the black percentage of the population what it is in the area.....not being able to have at least half the people working in their being black. If this Museum was in Main or Vermont....then I could understand....but Charleston? Nope. That to me is just a continuation of the same.

It looks like in Charleston whites still have all the money....all the rich areas....then you go north and sure deep poverty where there are blacks.

I love the look and feel of the Area....its beautiful....more so than I ever heard about SC. However....the people there....could not deal with it long term. I went to the Market (where they used to sell the slaves out doors) and you have all type of people selling their crafts....blacks and whites. I go up to talk to some of the black basket weavers and they act like I am not even there. Then a white person comes by and they are smiling and grinning all up in their faces. Nope. I can't be around black people like that....with that old mentality. Of course....you are probably oblivious to any of this.....just like a fish is obvious to what water is.....even though its the fishes essence.
The city of Charleston's population in 1980 was 69k, in 2017 it was 137k. That's double the number and guess where every single one of those folks came from? I'd say, being a real estate expert here, that 80% of them are upper middle class white folks from the mid-west and north east. The other 20% is made up of population boom and Florida/Georgia/Texas transplants.

So those folks you met, they aren't the old history of the city, maybe 1 in 5 people you meet in Charleston have more than 10 years tenure here, the rest are recent transplants.

Sure there's blue bloods here and old money, but that's true of any municipality in the world.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookCreek23 View Post
There is ghetto culture obviously.

Main reason blacks are poor are kids out of wedlock and the father not being home
Regardless of what pigment you are, there are 3 key factors to not being poor in America:

1) Finish high school.
2) Don't have kids out of wedlock.
3) Don't come from a one parent home.

Those three items are proven to give you a better chance at success demographically.

Personally I don't believe in all that crap, I just believe that you are free to succeed if you so choose. Whether you choose to or not, no one really cares enough about you to get in the way of your success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or