U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

9,995 posts, read 6,920,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The city of Charleston's population in 1980 was 69k, in 2017 it was 137k. That's double the number and guess where every single one of those folks came from? I'd say, being a real estate expert here, that 80% of them are upper middle class white folks from the mid-west and north east. The other 20% is made up of population boom and Florida/Georgia/Texas transplants.

So those folks you met, they aren't the old history of the city, maybe 1 in 5 people you meet in Charleston have more than 10 years tenure here, the rest are recent transplants.

Sure there's blue bloods here and old money, but that's true of any municipality in the world.

Look....I know old country folks when I see them. I know those black folks that I am talking about were from the countryside of Charleston....not transplants. I also know the Midwest accents and I understand the gentrification and relocation going on in the area. I knew all that before I said what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

9,937 posts, read 21,203,198 times
I think a lot of White Americans believe true racism ended in 1865 and they are not aware of the numerous large scale events of racism that continued on for 100 years afterward. In school I as never taught about events like the 1921 Tulsa Riot, where a White mob burned down the Black side of town, even dropped fire bombs from a plane, killed 100 to 300 Blacks. Law enforcement arrested no Whites but instead 30 Blacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

5,004 posts, read 3,712,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Look....I know old country folks when I see them. I know those black folks that I am talking about were from the countryside of Charleston....not transplants. I also know the Midwest accents and I understand the gentrification and relocation going on in the area. I knew all that before I said what I said.
Most of the basket weavers that work Downtown grew up Downtown, mostly in the West Side, Wagener Terrace, and North Morrison, some others are from the islands, and travel down there on the weekends but most are from Downtown. The weavers that own stands along Hwy 17 north on the north side of Mt Pleasant, typically live in that area around six mile and Hamlin Plantation. Their basket stands have been grandfathered in forever and they can sell baskets, vegetables, etc as long as their stand is standing. Some have moved on over the years, others have cashed out and gentrified, but for the "country" blacks you speak of, there's a distinct difference between a black family who speaks Gullah and lives in Mt Pleasant, and a farming black family from Holly Hill or Ridgeville. https://www.thecharlestoncitymarket....tgrass-baskets
https://www.saveur.com/gullah-basket...ng-charleston/

To your statement that old white folks still control the money, I would argue that most of our money comes from large corporations such as Boeing, Google, Mercedes Benz, and Volvo. We also train many doctors (most from India and Asia) at MUSC, have a thriving tech sector (known as Silicone Harbor), and one of the hottest real estate markets in the world. The bulk of the wealth has been transferred from the old Southern families like Rutledge, Haygood, Ravenel, and Calhoun and into hedge fund managers, global real estate investment firms, tech startups, and Doctor loans.

The three richest people I know in Charleston are all in real estate investing.

Old Today, 05:14 AM

37,324 posts, read 16,236,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What exactly is Trump's strategy with all this?
He is the President which includes all these places he rags on weekly.

I get that is makes for a fun time at his rally but there are Republicans that have to run in the suburbs and counties inside and surrounding the places he is trashing. Seems like a scorched earth argument but Trump didn't carry states with enough margin (Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and several more) to pizz off entire cities and surrounding suburbs that contain a high number of voters that he needs to swing his way to win. And congressman in surrounding counties attached to major cities in many states are dropping like flies, look how Texas is changing.

Again it may go well for his base but they are going to vote for him regardless. He won Michigan by 10,000 votes and its known that Black turnout in 2016 was down in Wayne County (Detroit, a place he just trashed again) by 70,000 votes. Is he attempting to motivate those 70,000 to show up and vote against him?

Does Trump really want to be President past 2020?
"What exactly is Trump's strategy with all this?" NOT surprised it is over your head.

They say, "If you have to ask the question, you would NOT understand the answer!"

But, I will give it a stab.

cummings did a wild screaming rant attacking the Border agents and claiming lies about how the ILLEGALS are treated at the detentions centers who work under Trump.

Trump pointed out the HYPOCRISY of cummings pointing out some of cumming's area and the people in the district he REPRESENTS are in WORSE condition then the detainment camps.

Even the former mayor, last year was videoed by the media walking through commenting on the reas and complaining about how you could smell the rats, etc.

Cummings FIRST responsibility as a member of the House is to tend to the people in HIS district.

He is MORE concerned about the treatment (falsely) of illegals then his own people.

Does this answer your question?

"(Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and several more) to pizz off entire cities and surrounding suburbs..."

This is HOW the left, including the LSM works.

Trump NEVER MENTIONED another state NOR city and here they ARE, AND YOU, going off on what was NEVER SAID distorting the ENTIRE issue becuae you CAN'T TALK about the REAL issue!

Old Today, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ok...here is a case study of a poster who believes that blacks, in general, have inferior brains than whites. Of course....don't call that "racism" on his part. Rather, he is just siting known fact. Not racism, but rather, "realism" if you let him tell it.

You ask people to explain their observations....that is when there racism is clear.
"Ok...here is a case study of a poster who won't discuss what was claimed backed up by REAL DATA and claims RACISM because someone DARES talk REAL DATA if it just so happens to be negative toward blacks. He attacks the poster INSTEAD of talking about the info posted and trying to debunk the data.

"The TRUTH, you CAN'T HANDLE the RUTH!"

I could call YOU a racist because YOU said something NEGATIVE about a WHITE person. Are you?

Old Today, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
the most dangerous places for anyone to go.....are inner city black ghettos

...but if you call them on it....you're racist

the only way it's racist...is saying that's black culture

It's not all black culture....but it is defiantly that black culture
Even Jesse Jackson said when walking down a city street and turns around and sees WHITE guys, he is relieved and NO ONE is MORE RRACIST the jesse.

Old Today, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
We've had 43 White presidents and there are still poor Whites. Why would Black poverty end after one Black president?
If a black president COULDN'T do it, EVEN WITH CONTROL of BOTH houses of Congress, why would blacks expect a white president to do it?

"The Lord helps those that help THEMSELVES!"

Old Today, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Anyone that is allowed to have children that cannot afford to pay for them is a problem.
The GOP is not interested in discouraging this behavior, so they contribute heavily to the problem too.
Don't forget that many "poor" people have access to cash, just like the privileged like cash. It's easier to hide.
"The GOP is not interested in discouraging this behavior" B.S and you know i.

"Don't forget that many "poor" people have access to cash," Mostly GIVEN to them by our gov't which comes from the rest of the working Americans

Old Today, 05:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 1,724,791 times
The Democrats want blacks poor. That way they depend on them for handouts. Vote for me I will take care of you!

Old Today, 05:49 AM

7,833 posts, read 2,492,676 times
The majority of black people in the U.S. are considered middle class. 21% percent fall below the poverty line. In other words, 79% of blacks are not poor.
https://talkpoverty.org/basics/

Further, Hispanics have the highest dropout rate.

Quote:
The status dropout rate, as measured using the Current Population Survey, is the percentage of 16- to 24-year-olds who are not enrolled in school and have not earned a high school credential. Over the past 40 years, status dropout rates have trended downward, declining from 14.1 percent in 1976 to 6.1 percent in 2016 (figure 2.2 and table 2.2).
• The status dropout rate for White 16- to 24-year- olds was consistently lower than the rate for their Black peers between 1976 and 2015 (figure 2.2 and table 2.2). The White-Black gap in status dropout rates was 8.5 percentage points in 1976 and 1.9 percentage points in 2015. However, in
1 For the family income categories, lowest quarter refers to family incomes at or below the 25th percentile of all family incomes; middle low quarter refers to the 26th through the 50th percentile of all family incomes; middle high quarter refers to the 51st through the 75th percentile of all family incomes; and highest quarter refers to family incomes above the 75th percentile.
2016, for the first time during the 40-year period examined in this report, there was no measurable gap between White and Black status dropout rates.
• In 2016, Hispanics born in the United States had a lower status dropout rate than Hispanics born outside the United States. Some 15.9 percent of Hispanic 16- to 24-year-olds born outside the United States were status dropouts, compared with 6.4 percent of “first-generation” Hispanics and 6.6 percent of Hispanics who were “second generation or higher” (figure 2.3 and table 2.1).
https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2019/2019117.pdf

You’re so prejudice that you have to lie about black people. How pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or