U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:55 AM

7,835 posts, read 2,492,676 times

Advertisements

Even though the majority of blacks are above the poverty line, blacks have gotten there within less than 60 years of “full” freedom. They also got there without the types of handouts given to many whites:

How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare
Whites, angered at blacks and immigrants receiving “government handouts,” forget they were lifted out of poverty through racially exclusive welfare programs in the 30s.

How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare - In These Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:59 AM

37,345 posts, read 16,236,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Slavery may have been outlawed in 1865 but I did read, and there is accounts to support it, that plantation-type slavery continued even into the early 1960s.
"that plantation-type slavery continued even into the early 1960s."

And this is 2019. The black kids born "into the early 60's" went to the SAME schools as whites. The Civil Rights Act had been passed as with Affirmative Action being enacted.

They were given ALL the tools. "You can lead a horse to water but, you CAN'T make him drink it!"

Most urban school districts are run by BLACK administrators with BLACK principals and teachers. What is THEIR problem?

If black teachers etc, CAN'T get the black kids to LEARN, who can?

Through forced interrogation those black kids in school are doing MUCH better, thank God BUT, urban kids and the surrounding area are NOT. Explain it.

Old Today, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Nearly all of your comments show that you believe black people to be inferior in this thread lol. The idea that all black people are poor means that you believe that we are inferior. The majority of black people in America are not poor.

What indentured servant stated below is true in regards to the bold. If you think that black people have the same "brain" yet somehow make inferior choices than you (and I'd be interested in knowing whether or not you are poor and a criminal yourself lol, the anonymity of the internet hides many sorts of lowly folks who claim some racial superiority because that's all they got in the world it seems) or white people at large then you believe that black people are inferior in some way. Believing that black people are inferior means you are a white supremacists racist basically.

You ignore the legacy of intense oppression of the black demographic, which didn't end to any significant degree really until 1980 - my own lifetime - I am the first generation of black people born "free" and my kids are the first generation in my family raised by the first generation born "free" and they are not even 18 yet. How do you expect people who had nothing and who experienced overt oppression and targeted discrimination until 1980 to 100% be like white people who never dealt with the things our demographic did. Or Asians who also never dealt with the things our demographic dealt with.

Seems you live in kind of a la-la land in this regard and just like to act like you don't have supremacist views when you do. It is plainly evident in your posts. See bold again below:
"Nearly all of your comments show that you believe black people to be inferior in this thread lol"

Racist see racism in EVERYTHING, LOL!

Old Today, 06:06 AM

3,614 posts, read 710,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Even though the majority of blacks are above the poverty line, blacks have gotten there within less than 60 years of “full” freedom. They also got there without the types of handouts given to many whites:

How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare
Whites, angered at blacks and immigrants receiving “government handouts,” forget they were lifted out of poverty through racially exclusive welfare programs in the 30s.

How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare - In These Times
So you're arguing that blacks are superior, since the majority got above poverty in just 3 generations (60 years) without the welfare and government handouts that whites got? Then I would argue that Jews are superior, since they arrived penniless and got above poverty in one generation (and that despite being discriminated against from prospective employers, colleges, you name it).

Blacks have gained substantially from a wide range of programs - from welfare to affirmative action - and it is disingenuous for you to deny that.

Old Today, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ugh. You are not quick enough if you're still using the phrase 'colored person'.
"if you're still using the phrase 'colored person'."

I follow the lead of the NAACP, the National Association for the Advancemt of COLORED People. If it is good enough for them.....!

Old Today, 06:19 AM

7,835 posts, read 2,492,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So you're arguing that blacks are superior, since the majority got above poverty in just 3 generations (60 years) without the welfare and government handouts that whites got? Then I would argue that Jews are superior, since they arrived penniless and got above poverty in one generation (and that despite being discriminated against from prospective employers, colleges, you name it).

Blacks have gained substantially from a wide range of programs - from welfare to affirmative action - and it is disingenuous for you to deny that.
Nowhere in my post did I say anything of the sort. I just stated the facts. Blacks have got to where they are - approximately 80% over the poverty line - in less than 60 years of full freedom and without the types and extent of handouts whites received. Whites have had welfare far longer than blacks and those programs afforded them have far-reaching benefits, far beyond what blacks have had. If you’re dealing with some sort of inferiority complex due to that, there’s nothing I can do about that.

Old Today, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am sure that white people fund it. I don't have a problem with white people having their version of slavery. I am just not going to be a purchaser of it. I took tours in what are essentially black history museums where there were white people working there. No problem with that because black people were controlling the narrative because they were running the institution. I also know there are white people who are very good at telling the black story....like Tim Wise. I just have a problem, in a city like Charleston, with the black percentage of the population what it is in the area.....not being able to have at least half the people working in their being black. If this Museum was in Main or Vermont....then I could understand....but Charleston? Nope. That to me is just a continuation of the same.

It looks like in Charleston whites still have all the money....all the rich areas....then you go north and sure deep poverty where there are blacks.

I love the look and feel of the Area....its beautiful....more so than I ever heard about SC. However....the people there....could not deal with it long term. I went to the Market (where they used to sell the slaves out doors) and you have all type of people selling their crafts....blacks and whites. I go up to talk to some of the black basket weavers and they act like I am not even there. Then a white person comes by and they are smiling and grinning all up in their faces. Nope. I can't be around black people like that....with that old mentality. Of course....you are probably oblivious to any of this.....just like a fish is obvious to what water is.....even though its the fishes essence.
" I don't have a problem with white people having their version of slavery."

If you left BEFORE going through the museum, how do yo KNOW what "version" they show. Sounds "racist" to me.

Your OWN racism STOPPED you from going in.

When I go the DMV ALL the people working there are COLORED, Should ALL whites refuse to do their business there?

"then you go north and sure deep poverty where there are blacks." And WHY do you think that is?

Don't they all go to the same public schools? What is the race of the teachers etc.? What is the GPA of ALL races? What is the graduation rate by race?

What is the drop out rate by race?

What is the teen pregnancy rate by race?

"You can lead a horse to water but, you CAN'T make him drink!"

Old Today, 06:37 AM

3,614 posts, read 710,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Nowhere in my post did I say anything of the sort. I just stated the facts. Blacks have got to where they are - approximately 80% over the poverty line - in less than 60 years of full freedom and without the types and extent of handouts whites received. Whites have had welfare far longer than blacks and those programs afforded them have far-reaching benefits, far beyond what blacks have had. If you’re dealing with some sort of inferiority complex due to that, there’s nothing I can do about that.
I have no inferiority complex, believe me. Why would you even made such a snide remark! My family arrived just before Hitler wiped them out (well, he did get some of my family, may they RIP) with just the clothes on their backs, and one generation later their kids were all college grads. And this was before food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, etc. (And if you think antisemitism wasn't rampant here in the 40s, think again.)

Old Today, 06:37 AM

7,484 posts, read 3,083,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Have you considered that the bolded stat might be a sympton, and not the cause? (Or a little bit of both?)

I live in NC, and as recently as the 1970's there were still billboards on our interstates put that stated you are entering KKK Country. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...232986152.html

And as recently as July, 2019 we had a sitting potus tweeting racist tweets and overseeing racist chants at his white nationalist rally, so "slavery ended 156 years ago" doesn't quite cut it.

While they are ultimately responsible for their own outcome in life (and I do believe this), it's ignorant to say that there are not institutional factors that STILL put them at a disadvantage.
Point taken. However there have been racial and cultural differences between people of the Earth since the beginning.
These boundaries ebb and flow, and one must make the best of their place in the puzzle. It's not neccesarily fair, but it's the way it is and always will be. Make sense?

Old Today, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Regardless of what pigment you are, there are 3 key factors to not being poor in America:

1) Finish high school.
2) Don't have kids out of wedlock.
3) Don't come from a one parent home.

Those three items are proven to give you a better chance at success demographically.

Personally I don't believe in all that crap, I just believe that you are free to succeed if you so choose. Whether you choose to or not, no one really cares enough about you to get in the way of your success.
"Personally I don't believe in all that crap, I just believe that you are free to succeed if you so choose."

Look at the likes of DR. Ben Crarson, grew up with his brother and a single mother in GOVERNMENT HOUSING yet, became a WORLD RENOWNED BRAIN SURGEON.

How, you ask. His mother instilled in them the importance of getting an seduction. She would NOT tolerate low grades in school.

There are THOUSANDS of success stories about peopole who grew up in gov't housing. The most important ingredient in their lives WAS getting a good education.

If the parent(s) DON'T push them to get that education,......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or