U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 06:45 AM
 
37,345 posts, read 16,236,256 times
Reputation: 8491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The Democrats want blacks poor. That way they depend on them for handouts. Vote for me I will take care of you!
Isn't that what lbj said?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,886 posts, read 9,434,534 times
Reputation: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So you're arguing that blacks are superior, since the majority got above poverty in just 3 generations (60 years) without the welfare and government handouts that whites got? Then I would argue that Jews are superior, since they arrived penniless and got above poverty in one generation (and that despite being discriminated against from prospective employers, colleges, you name it).

Blacks have gained substantially from a wide range of programs - from welfare to affirmative action - and it is disingenuous for you to deny that.
Lmao. This isn’t a competition..

or is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,886 posts, read 9,434,534 times
Reputation: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I have no inferiority complex, believe me. Why would you even made such a snide remark! My family arrived just before Hitler wiped them out (well, he did get some of my family, may they RIP) with just the clothes on their backs, and one generation later their kids were all college grads. And this was before food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, etc. (And if you think antisemitism wasn't rampant here in the 40s, think again.)
I guess it is a competition.

Why do you feel the need to bring up Jews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,835 posts, read 2,492,676 times
Reputation: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I have no inferiority complex, believe me. Why would you even made such a snide remark! My family arrived just before Hitler wiped them out (well, he did get some of my family, may they RIP) with just the clothes on their backs, and one generation later their kids were all college grads. And this was before food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, etc. (And if you think antisemitism wasn't rampant here in the 40s, think again.)
So then my statements shouldn’t bother you.

You’re wrong about housing. Housing subsidies began in the 30s and whites were the main beneficiaries of subsidies and other housing programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:11 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 710,908 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I guess it is a competition.

Why do you feel the need to bring up Jews?
Because they are a group that arrived penniless and, for the most part, got out of poverty in a single generation with virtually no government handouts. That runs contrary to the PP's argument that whites have less poverty than blacks because whites have gotten more government handouts. There are other reasons why people make it out of poverty - all of which have been discussed ad infinitum on this forum.

Am I not allowed to give Jews as an example of a people who got out of poverty without handouts when the argument is being made that people's ability to get out of poverty is dependent on how long they've been getting handouts?

(I honestly think liberals would prefer Jews do be less successful. They are a group that is proving that government programs are NOT what lifts one out of poverty - or certainly not entirely. Personal traits count too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:14 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 710,908 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So then my statements shouldn’t bother you.

You’re wrong about housing. Housing subsidies began in the 30s and whites were the main beneficiaries of subsidies and other housing programs.
Then I'm wondering why my impoverished grandparents didn't get housing subsidies. They lived in a tenement, with a shared bathroom. Is it possible that these government housing subsidies weren't available to Jews? I don't know. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,835 posts, read 2,492,676 times
Reputation: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Then I'm wondering why my impoverished grandparents didn't get housing subsidies. They lived in a tenement, with a shared bathroom. Is it possible that these government housing subsidies weren't available to Jews? I don't know. Do you?
Oh yes, food stamps were available to whites from the 1930s as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconv...nce-1935-63574
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,835 posts, read 2,492,676 times
Reputation: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I guess it is a competition.

Why do you feel the need to bring up Jews?
She’s clearly in some competition. Not sure what her problem is because I’m just giving the facts. If it doesn’t include her family, not sure why she is so bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:35 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 710,908 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
She’s clearly in some competition. Not sure what her problem is because I’m just giving the facts. If it doesn’t include her family, not sure why she is so bothered.
I'm not "bothered." I'm just showing how you can't say handouts, or the lack of handouts, is the sole explanation of why people get out of poverty. Many people make it out with grit, discipline, sacrifice, values instilled by their parents, intelligence, ability, whatever, without any government help. How would you explain that, if the determining factor of middle class attainment is handouts to poor people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Boston
8,148 posts, read 2,364,893 times
Reputation: 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Isn't that what lbj said?

Also, LBJ was miffed when told to start using the term black instead of negro. He replied to that by saying..........Hell, I just got used to calling them negroes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top