Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 06:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I have no inferiority complex, believe me. Why would you even made such a snide remark! My family arrived just before Hitler wiped them out (well, he did get some of my family, may they RIP) with just the clothes on their backs, and one generation later their kids were all college grads. And this was before food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, etc. (And if you think antisemitism wasn't rampant here in the 40s, think again.)
I guess it is a competition.

Why do you feel the need to bring up Jews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 07:04 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
I have no inferiority complex, believe me. Why would you even made such a snide remark! My family arrived just before Hitler wiped them out (well, he did get some of my family, may they RIP) with just the clothes on their backs, and one generation later their kids were all college grads. And this was before food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, etc. (And if you think antisemitism wasn't rampant here in the 40s, think again.)
So then my statements shouldn’t bother you.

You’re wrong about housing. Housing subsidies began in the 30s and whites were the main beneficiaries of subsidies and other housing programs.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

Because they are a group that arrived penniless and, for the most part, got out of poverty in a single generation with virtually no government handouts. That runs contrary to the PP's argument that whites have less poverty than blacks because whites have gotten more government handouts. There are other reasons why people make it out of poverty - all of which have been discussed ad infinitum on this forum.

Am I not allowed to give Jews as an example of a people who got out of poverty without handouts when the argument is being made that people's ability to get out of poverty is dependent on how long they've been getting handouts?

(I honestly think liberals would prefer Jews do be less successful. They are a group that is proving that government programs are NOT what lifts one out of poverty - or certainly not entirely. Personal traits count too.)

Old 08-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So then my statements shouldn’t bother you.

You’re wrong about housing. Housing subsidies began in the 30s and whites were the main beneficiaries of subsidies and other housing programs.
Then I'm wondering why my impoverished grandparents didn't get housing subsidies. They lived in a tenement, with a shared bathroom. Is it possible that these government housing subsidies weren't available to Jews? I don't know. Do you?

Old 08-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Then I'm wondering why my impoverished grandparents didn't get housing subsidies. They lived in a tenement, with a shared bathroom. Is it possible that these government housing subsidies weren't available to Jews? I don't know. Do you?
Oh yes, food stamps were available to whites from the 1930s as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconv...nce-1935-63574

Old 08-03-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

She’s clearly in some competition. Not sure what her problem is because I’m just giving the facts. If it doesn’t include her family, not sure why she is so bothered.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
She’s clearly in some competition. Not sure what her problem is because I’m just giving the facts. If it doesn’t include her family, not sure why she is so bothered.
I'm not "bothered." I'm just showing how you can't say handouts, or the lack of handouts, is the sole explanation of why people get out of poverty. Many people make it out with grit, discipline, sacrifice, values instilled by their parents, intelligence, ability, whatever, without any government help. How would you explain that, if the determining factor of middle class attainment is handouts to poor people?

Old 08-03-2019, 07:40 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Isn't that what lbj said?

Also, LBJ was miffed when told to start using the term black instead of negro. He replied to that by saying..........Hell, I just got used to calling them negroes.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:47 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
The biggest problem in the black community is that education is not valued as much as it should be. You can blame this that or the other but it doesn't really matter. Until more stop seeing education as a 'white thing' it will continue to be the #1 problem.
African Americans in many cases have different culture, different values (raising families, family planning, personal responsibility) That is not the case in other African countries. it seems to be very prevalent among AA's.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:52 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am sure that white people fund it. I don't have a problem with white people having their version of slavery. I am just not going to be a purchaser of it. I took tours in what are essentially black history museums where there were white people working there. No problem with that because black people were controlling the narrative because they were running the institution. I also know there are white people who are very good at telling the black story....like Tim Wise. I just have a problem, in a city like Charleston, with the black percentage of the population what it is in the area.....not being able to have at least half the people working in their being black. If this Museum was in Main or Vermont....then I could understand....but Charleston? Nope. That to me is just a continuation of the same.

It looks like in Charleston whites still have all the money....all the rich areas....then you go north and sure deep poverty where there are blacks.

I love the look and feel of the Area....its beautiful....more so than I ever heard about SC. However....the people there....could not deal with it long term. I went to the Market (where they used to sell the slaves out doors) and you have all type of people selling their crafts....blacks and whites. I go up to talk to some of the black basket weavers and they act like I am not even there. Then a white person comes by and they are smiling and grinning all up in their faces. Nope. I can't be around black people like that....with that old mentality. Of course....you are probably oblivious to any of this.....just like a fish is obvious to what water is.....even though its the fishes essence.
The fact that your make financial decisions on whom to spend your money with based on the color of their skin is exactly the type of racism you are so sure is rampant in our little southern town here.

Most of us, that aren't racist, would visit a museum regardless of the color of the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies