U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:49 PM
 
5,216 posts, read 2,811,777 times
Reputation: 4823

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Always someone who wants to play the "model minority" card when discussing African Americans.

Just stop. We've been excluded (yes, I'm Asian American) in real estate and other areas historically, but to compare our experience with that of African Americans is nonsense.
Asians are model minorities because they work hard, value education, commit far less crimes per capita, and make higher median salaries than whites?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Maybe blacks should take note.

Or... could ignore it and blame some invisible racist strawman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:52 PM
 
5,250 posts, read 1,311,602 times
Reputation: 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Take the "highest rate of single mothers" statistic in the proper context. WHY does the urban black community have a higher rate of single mothers than any other demographic? Past that, what can possibly explain the shift in the black family from a higher marriage and wedded childbirth rate than all other demographics at one point in the not so distant past, to the current polar opposite of the worst rate among all other demographics? Is the some historical inflection point that can possibly explain the WHY of this particular cultural issue?

I mean, slavery ended 156 years ago, so that legacy alone cannot explain what shifted from the very family oriented black demographic to this new single mother, absentee father, children raised on the street phenomenon. What could have possibly happened in the last oh...70 years that could give us a clue as to why the all black Harlem city schools went from 2nd best in the 5 Burroughs to among the worst as of today.

What was the pox, pray tell, that fell upon the black demographic's house, such that it actually resembles a plague virus? Hmm...what could it be...?
One word. Policy. You can look back in time at blacks and see that in many ways, they were faring way better back in the 50's and 60's. They were more educated. More families were together. Fewer gangs. It was only when all the policies designed to help them were put in place that caused all of this. Policies that do not encourage being married. Paying them more to stay apart. Three strikes, you're out putting more black men in prison. It's all policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:52 PM
 
5,216 posts, read 2,811,777 times
Reputation: 4823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think there IS institutional racism and the institution is the DNC. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:54 PM
 
5,250 posts, read 1,311,602 times
Reputation: 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
Two generations ago blacks had a marriage rate of 70 percent. Now it has reversed.
But WHY has it reversed? Why isn't anyone asking WHY? Government policies ENCOURAGE single parent families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:57 PM
 
7,761 posts, read 4,621,084 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
But WHY has it reversed? Why isn't anyone asking WHY? Government policies ENCOURAGE single parent families.
We’ve already established that black marriage rates do not correlate with Black poverty, so why are we still discussing marriage? Boomer moralizing, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:59 PM
 
51,038 posts, read 26,910,452 times
Reputation: 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Warren and Gillibrand jumped on their "white leftist female hero platform" last night and claimed the reason that the black community is poor is because of a "history" that the country has yet to make amends for.

The fact is the black community has the highest single motherhood rate, and the highest school dropout rate of all races in the United States.

Those are personal choices, not "institutionalized" racism.

Change my mind.
As a black man, what’s my interest in changing your mind? For what? What do I get out of it? We’re not looking for any reluctant allies anyway. There’s nothing in it for me to attempt to change your mind. Believe what you want.

I know that our very complex history plays a huge role in black pathologies amongst our poor. If you don’t think so, oh well. You’re not a friend or ally to the black community anyway. Shrug.

But no one is paying me money to try to convince you of anything. And until someone mails me a check or explains the benefits to me of attempting to change your mind, I’ll remain disinterested in whatever your take on the issue is.

LMAO @ “change my mind.” Please. This dude here^^!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:02 PM
 
1,137 posts, read 214,369 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
But WHY has it reversed? Why isn't anyone asking WHY? Government policies ENCOURAGE single parent families.

Single parents in Africa is not very common...

You think AfricanAmericans are just less Monogamous or not staying together because of a Welfare state?

And just overlook how the justice system has basically targeted young black men much harder since the 70s for non-violent drug offenses in poor urban black communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,945 posts, read 6,664,609 times
Reputation: 6303
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Asians are model minorities because they work hard, value education, commit far less crimes per capita, and make higher median salaries than whites?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Maybe blacks should take note.

Or... could ignore it and blame some invisible racist strawman.
Nope. We're not walking stereotypes of an image that you use as wedge issues to bash other communities.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...ans-and-blacks

We're people just like anyone else. So don't think you're complimenting us. More like patting us on the head in a patronizing way.

Your pop culture remarks ignore the fact that Asian American comprise many different ethnicies, cultures and communities of varying generations. A 4th generation Japanese American is going to have a very different experience than a Laotian refugee family.

While you crow that Asians have higher median salaries than whites - remember, if this is a national sample, most of us are concentrated in states like CA, NY, HI which have high COLs - so those high salaries don't go as far.

Moreover, Asian Americans as a group also have a high poverty rate than average. Highest poverty rate of immigrants in NYC, for example.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2018...-among-asians/

So it's not a complete picture, and you do a disservice to the public with simplistic declarations such as yours.

https://thepractice.law.harvard.edu/...minority-myth/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM
 
11,462 posts, read 6,005,695 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As a black man, what’s my interest in changing your mind? For what? What do I get out of it? We’re not looking for any reluctant allies anyway. There’s nothing in it for me to attempt to change your mind. Believe what you want.

I know that our very complex history plays a huge role in black pathologies amongst our poor. If you don’t think so, oh well. You’re not a friend or ally to the black community anyway. Shrug.

But no one is paying me money to try to convince you of anything. And until someone mails me a check or explains the benefits to me of attempting to change your mind, I’ll remain disinterested in whatever your take on the issue is.

LMAO @ “change my mind.” Please. This dude here^^!.
This is hysterical coming from the same guy who I asked a simple question of, and you wouldn't answer because I didn't "ask nicely enough" or whatever. You might want to think over that whole "pot calling the kettle black" quote there, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,686 posts, read 590,062 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Hmm. That is an interesting question.....................
What's with placing a picture of the GOAT POTUS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top