Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 01:06 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Take the "highest rate of single mothers" statistic in the proper context. WHY does the urban black community have a higher rate of single mothers than any other demographic? Past that, what can possibly explain the shift in the black family from a higher marriage and wedded childbirth rate than all other demographics at one point in the not so distant past, to the current polar opposite of the worst rate among all other demographics? Is the some historical inflection point that can possibly explain the WHY of this particular cultural issue?

I mean, slavery ended 156 years ago, so that legacy alone cannot explain what shifted from the very family oriented black demographic to this new single mother, absentee father, children raised on the street phenomenon. What could have possibly happened in the last oh...70 years that could give us a clue as to why the all black Harlem city schools went from 2nd best in the 5 Burroughs to among the worst as of today.

What was the pox, pray tell, that fell upon the black demographic's house, such that it actually resembles a plague virus? Hmm...what could it be...?
Slavery may have been outlawed in 1865 but I did read, and there is accounts to support it, that plantation-type slavery continued even into the early 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
What's your explanation for the difference between Europe and Africa? I know the truth is difficult to accept but it's still the truth.

Of course MY explanation has nothing to do with genetics and inner nature.....hence NOT RACIST. Your explanation, on the other hand, is founded in the belief in genetic differences accounting for racial outcome difference. That, my friend, is called "racism". However....I am sure you will see it as YET ANOTHER false claim of racism that makes the word now meaningless.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I guess all the very successful black people....are just not black enough..and didn't embrace the "black culture"

That is obviously not an intelligent response. It's obfuscation and deflection. I guess the soldier who went to war and made it back home in sound mind and body...."really did not go to war". That is the common deflection of people seeking to not face truth. Ergo, "why did some people make it? If some people made it....this makes those who did not at fault and not their circumstance". I have heard that a thousand times....said in different ways. If some black people have made it......then it proves the circumstance of racism is not responsible for many other blacks not making it.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
When blacks use the word "mosquito" and "bisque" does that mean youre racists?

You blanket blacks into African decent, well, for that matter I'm African, because I believe that's where the cradle of man was. Some blacks came from Asia, some from Barbados, even more from Chile, some lighter pigmented "blacks" came from Australia, some from India, even some from Greenland. The fact that some choose not to assimilate into the country that they live in is a personal choice.

If you don't like the culture you associate with, go start your own culture or find one that you do like, such as the culture of not making excuses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuetQSwFW8

I was just in Charleston, SC. I went to the "old slave market", the indoor venue where they sold slave once they outlawed the outdoor market. It is now a Museum. Walked in interested to take the tour when I noticed the staff was all white. I walked right back out.

I can see why you live there.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:34 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Slavery may have been outlawed in 1865 but I did read, and there is accounts to support it, that plantation-type slavery continued even into the early 1960s.
Where'd you read that at? Growing up in the south, and having ancestors who owned slaves, I'm not aware of any legal slavery going on after the Civil War. It took decades for the freed slaves to leave the land so to speak, because a) they didn't have jobs b) Jim Crow laws were way rougher on them than their former employers c) it was much easier to stay put and go to work for pay/food, most were given land to stay put and work on the plantations. Slavery as we know it historically up until the 1960's I'd have to have proof, more than just an isolated example.

The Vice article you're probably referring to is an isolated example where a family was in debt to their captors. Right or wrong, it's no different that a bail bondsman, paycheck loan or title loan company in my opinion.

As the saying goes, The Borrower is Slave to The Lender. That goes for anyone, regardless of color.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 08-02-2019 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I was just in Charleston, SC. I went to the "old slave market", the indoor venue where they sold slave once they outlawed the outdoor market. It is now a Museum. Walked in interested to take the tour when I noticed the staff was all white. I walked right back out.

I can see why you live there.
I live here because I was raised here, and although I've traveled the world, Charleston has a lot to offer and it's lovely waterways are a big draw for me. Race, doesn't figure into my decision to live here or anywhere. In fact, I never see things like all white staffs, it just doesn't show up in my day-to-day living. I see Americans, friends, and neighbors.

The "old slave market" is a tourist attraction as is the old jail cells, the courthouse, Fort Sumter, the beaches, etc. What would be different about the historical facts of the old slave market if the staff was all a darker pigment?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That is obviously not an intelligent response. It's obfuscation and deflection. I guess the soldier who went to war and made it back home in sound mind and body...."really did not go to war". That is the common deflection of people seeking to not face truth. Ergo, "why did some people make it? If some people made it....this makes those who did not at fault and not their circumstance". I have heard that a thousand times....said in different ways. If some black people have made it......then it proves the circumstance of racism is not responsible for many other blacks not making it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Until you stop making excuses, you'll always be your own victim.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,272,093 times
You sound like you're making excuses for yourself....

Can't have it both ways....either there's a black ghetto culture..or there's not

...obviously there's a lot of successful black people..they are everywhere...and are not propping themselves up with some made up fabricated "culture"

Quote:

Old 08-02-2019, 01:56 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I don't know anyone who sees "black people" as inferior.

I do know people (myself included) who see personal choices and decisions as inferior.
Nearly all of your comments show that you believe black people to be inferior in this thread lol. The idea that all black people are poor means that you believe that we are inferior. The majority of black people in America are not poor.

What indentured servant stated below is true in regards to the bold. If you think that black people have the same "brain" yet somehow make inferior choices than you (and I'd be interested in knowing whether or not you are poor and a criminal yourself lol, the anonymity of the internet hides many sorts of lowly folks who claim some racial superiority because that's all they got in the world it seems) or white people at large then you believe that black people are inferior in some way. Believing that black people are inferior means you are a white supremacists racist basically.

You ignore the legacy of intense oppression of the black demographic, which didn't end to any significant degree really until 1980 - my own lifetime - I am the first generation of black people born "free" and my kids are the first generation in my family raised by the first generation born "free" and they are not even 18 yet. How do you expect people who had nothing and who experienced overt oppression and targeted discrimination until 1980 to 100% be like white people who never dealt with the things our demographic did. Or Asians who also never dealt with the things our demographic dealt with.

Seems you live in kind of a la-la land in this regard and just like to act like you don't have supremacist views when you do. It is plainly evident in your posts. See bold again below:

Quote:
That is contradictory. If you see blacks as innately as intelligent as whites, genetically, how and why would our brains make inferior decisions and choices? You might not believe that blacks are inferior, but you do believe the brains of blacks to be inferior to whites. That has been a pillar belief if racist for over 400 years...that blacks have smaller brains and intellect.

We know that racism is not about thinking the black body to be inferior...indeed....the opposite is often true (see athletics). Racism has always been about the black mind.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I live here because I was raised here, and although I've traveled the world, Charleston has a lot to offer and it's lovely waterways are a big draw for me. Race, doesn't figure into my decision to live here or anywhere. In fact, I never see things like all white staffs, it just doesn't show up in my day-to-day living. I see Americans, friends, and neighbors.

The "old slave market" is a tourist attraction as is the old jail cells, the courthouse, Fort Sumter, the beaches, etc. What would be different about the historical facts of the old slave market if the staff was all a darker pigment?

Until the Story of the hunt is told by the Lion, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter. – African Proverb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies