Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 03:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,749,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
What could it possibly be? Not just for Trump, but for any President? How does the office itself "solve" the myriad problems of urban blacks?

A black guy was in that office from 2008-2016, and a black guy has for 20 years represented the city that Trump is "ragging on" weekly, and all that has happened to that particular urban black area in all that time is that it has gotten worse. In fact, under the long time (sometimes more than 50 years) governance of one black chief executive, federal representative and/or predominatly black assembly/council...many of these urban black areas have gotten worse.

So I'll ask again, given the remarkable level of failure of ANY politician where "solving" the problem of urban black poverty is concerned - how does the specific office of President of the United States "solve" these problems, when no other office or group of offices at any level of government has done so thus far? And beyond that, if the current President is a racist, bougie, white devil who wouldn't get more than 5% of the black vote if he literally paid people $500 each for their vote...what would be his motivation to undertake a "solution" even if that office was capable of doing so?

Obama never solved any of these problems, and I can assume he was friendlier to urban blacks than Trump, yes? So how/why is Trump now the "solution?"

Makes no sense whatsoever.
I agree with much of the above. But FWIW urban black poverty decreased substantially until the financial collapse in regards to the bold. Since around 2014 it has also decreased.

As I note often on the forum, a majority of black people today do not live in the inner city anymore so the idea that a significant amount of us suffer from this "problem" is not based in reality. I'll note that interestingly, I do live in the inner city, but my household makes 6 figures a year so we are not typical, especially, of our neighborhood.

I agree that no president can "solve" the problems of any group of poor, black urban or white rural or white urban (we have a lot of poor white people in the city I live in some of them are my neighbors and it is interesting to me that white people don't seem to focus too much on them at all in regards to their "problems" and prefer to try to tell black people about ourselves even though said persons don't seem to know much at all about black people in general and are stuck in a 1980 stereotype of black America). Not too many black people believe a president can "solve" the problems of the poor or of crime.

IMO the point of the thread is the OP taking a double shot at "liberals" and black people and not about any sort of solution on the "other" side of the aisle with Trump or anyone else. If anything this thread is an example of why black Americans don't even consider the "other" side. The outright racism by the OP and the continued stereotyping of other posters shows that most of you know nothing about what black people care about and only are invested in conservative talking points and believing that black Americans actually agree with or follow everything a white liberal says - which is very far from the truth.

I'll admit that I am very "pro-black" when it comes to supporting candidates and that a candidates position on issues pertaining to race they are political issues and they will be a huge focus on who I give my support to - but poverty is not a "race" issue to me as it impacts large swaths of the American public. I've also worked with poverty stricken people via my employment and the issues of all ethnic groups in relation to poverty are usually the same and are about lack of opportunity and oftentimes mental health conditions.

Things that the OP and others all seem to think are important to black voters, really are not - stuff like "handouts" related to social welfare programs. I really DGAF about that at all and most black people don't even though it seems many of you believe that we do. I give a crap about economic opportunities and especially opportunities for black business owners and professionals, I give a crap about the environment, and I give a crap about ensuring the rights of women are upheld in our court systems. As a black woman of middle class status, I am a demographic who has one of the highest participation rates in the election process. Poor black people by and large - like poor whites, don't vote and so this fascination you all have with the poor of the black demographic to me, acting like a significant majority of black voters have "problems" associated with poverty and that the "liberals" are controlling the black population on this issue is kind of silly. It is also silly to believe that Trump is doing anything about these issues either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 03:19 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,643,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
You sound like you're making excuses for yourself....

Can't have it both ways....either there's a black ghetto culture..or there's not

...obviously there's a lot of successful black people..they are everywhere...and are not propping themselves up with some made up fabricated "culture"

I don't know about a black ghetto culture....I do know of a culture of descendants of enslaved Americans...one which was incubated by forced segregation....then white flight, redlining housing discrimination, etc, etc, couples with concentrated poverty and the legacy of a poverty rate 3 times that of whites.....a gap created from racial oppression and never closed. I also know that African immigrants, on the other hand, have the highest educational attainment of all immigrant groups, have low crime rates, have a different culture, etc, etc.

Living in a society dominated by white culture is like living with radiation. Eventually, it makes you sick and creates mutations and deformities. White racism has been akin to radiation to black culture, economics and psychology.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:24 PM

2,923 posts, read 968,703 times
The biggest problem in the black community is that education is not valued as much as it should be. You can blame this that or the other but it doesn't really matter. Until more stop seeing education as a 'white thing' it will continue to be the #1 problem.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:26 PM

2,923 posts, read 968,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't know about a black ghetto culture....I do know of a culture of descendants of enslaved Americans...one which was incubated by forced segregation....then white flight, redlining housing discrimination, etc, etc, couples with concentrated poverty and the legacy of a poverty rate 3 times that of whites.....a gap created from racial oppression and never closed. I also know that African immigrants, on the other hand, have the highest educational attainment of all immigrant groups, have low crime rates, have a different culture, etc, etc.

Living in a society dominated by white culture is like living with radiation. Eventually, it makes you sick and creates mutations and deformities. White racism has been akin to radiation to black culture, economics and psychology.
ha this will be my new status

Old 08-02-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
In 1600 Europeans had printing press, telescope, sewer systems, gun powder, complex math, circumnavigated the globe and even had a working submarine.

In 1600 Africans had.... the spear.

How do you explain that? It’s pre colonization (which btw gave more to Africa than it ever took out)

Face it, its evolution, just research it. Africans bred with less evolved species of human while others left for Europe and bred with Neanderthals. This increased intellect from Neanderthals plus the harsh conditions increased discipline and social structures. The answers are all there.
The comment above shows you have a vast amount of ignorance when it comes to the history of the African continent.

It also shows you are of the same description as what I stated about the OP above in regards with the bold.

All Africans are not the same people just like all Europeans are not. By 1600 nearly every nation on the African continent had been trading with Eurasia (including Europe and the Middle East amongst other Asian nations) for centuries. Many East and West African nations were followers of both Christianity and Islam by 1600 as well and had vast societies and nations by that time period. Africa is the birthplace of humanity and Africans today still have more genetic diversity than any other people on earth. There is also evidence that some African populations also have Neaderthal DNA so you ideas mentioned in the bold are kind of silly. Africans have been "breeding" with Europeans and Asians and Africans for millenia and those small populations that have shown Neanderthal DNA it is thought it was because of migrations of early humans out of Africa, then back to Africa. Recently there was findings regarding a new, unknown species of hominin amongst the DNA of the Yoruba people of Nigeria.

Not as much research into the genetic diversity of African DNA has occurred yet and there is a huge interest in it in the genetic genealogy community.

It is also notable in regards to the "Neanderthal" comment above by you that black Americans and even those in the Caribbean and S. America amongst other North American countries - we all typically have a pretty substantial amount of European DNA - usually on average 24% of our genetic makeup is European. Many black Americans have Neanderthal DNA markers as a result. So there goes your theory lol.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
The biggest problem in the black community is that education is not valued as much as it should be. You can blame this that or the other but it doesn't really matter. Until more stop seeing education as a 'white thing' it will continue to be the #1 problem.
Well why have black Americans been the demographic that has increased in educational attainment the most since 1980 if we don't focus on education lol.

FYI - education and intellectual pursuits are actually historic tenets of African American culture and both have always been a focus of the demographic.

The only person who told me I "talked like a white girl" was a white teacher. She also said I had a "white girl name." Of all the people I encounter, whites are usually the ones who are surprised by black me being intelligent, primarily because they, seemingly like yourself, have some rather outdated racist stereotypes about black people. I grew up in the ghetto with a single, unwed black teen mom and I never missed a day of school until high school. Education was always important in my own family. I attended an HBCU and am glad I did because I didn't have to deal with a lot of racial mess in college and I got to get a very in depth education about black culture in particular and what it really encompasses.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I live here because I was raised here, and although I've traveled the world, Charleston has a lot to offer and it's lovely waterways are a big draw for me. Race, doesn't figure into my decision to live here or anywhere. In fact, I never see things like all white staffs, it just doesn't show up in my day-to-day living. I see Americans, friends, and neighbors.

The "old slave market" is a tourist attraction as is the old jail cells, the courthouse, Fort Sumter, the beaches, etc. What would be different about the historical facts of the old slave market if the staff was all a darker pigment?
Will note on Charleston, unlike Indentured Servant, I would have taken the tour anyway just to see what they were going to discuss. I've been pleasantly surprised and impressed at the knowledge of many white tour guides over the years when they were discussing/presenting black history sites and topics. I'm also glad that more white Americans have an interest in black American history.

That said, often on tours that are about black people or sites of significance to the black experience in America, them not having any black staff who has knowledge of these subjects on a more intimate manner means that they may not provide a holistic review of the site. I have unfortunately been on plantation tours for instance, where they did not speak at all about the slaves that built the home and they also didn't even tour the slave quarters. My family is from SC as well and so when I lived in Atlanta, I often went to SC. Haven't been able to do any tours yet in Charleston though, which I want to do. But I always said something on those tours and asked about the black people lol. I also would ask about certain topics they discussed - what the role of the slaves were for the site. When they didn't know anything, I'd suggest they hire a consultant or review the local area for descendants. Many of our presidential homes are doing just that . I was reading the other day about descendants of James Monroe's slaves were sought out in order to provide some insight into the lives of their ancestors as slaves of that president. Similar to how Monticello is now conducted amongst many. It was a long fight of sorts for black researchers, historians, and archeologists and white ones as well who saw the value in the stories of black America to highlight this part of our nation's history.

For Charleston, I'd be interested in the enslaved and free black populations. I've discovered a distant inlaw of my grandfather was a freed slave who actually became a slave trader! They did their "business" in Summerville SC primarily but also in Charleston.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:54 PM

18,267 posts, read 8,065,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't know about a black ghetto culture....
..total BS

Old 08-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..total BS
FYI - "black ghetto culture" is not a "thing" which is why said poster probably doesn't know about it.

I grew up in the ghetto and I'm black and I also don't know about "black ghetto culture." That's something that you and folks like you make up IMO.

I do know about historic cultural tenets of black Americans however. These existed long before "ghettos" of blacks came into existence and also existed within said ghetto, which is how I was reared in that culture. It centers on family bonds (and not a particular type of structure), a focus on education and economic improvement, community activism/volunteerism, faith/spirituality, and creativity.

ETA: I'll note IMO most of what is valuable to mainstream American, I guess you could call it "white" culture is basically materialism and a quest for money/wealth. Because black Americans for centuries were really locked out of being able to acquire wealth (whites would actually kill them for doing so and burn down neighborhoods/towns to boot) the historical currency of black America was not always about money like it has been for whites. It was more about dignity and respect within a community and living decent life with standards as a form of currency. For instance, when you have a black person called a "sell out" it means basically that they have given up our cultural currency for that of the mainstream - money/materialism and greed. IMO one of the detriment's of our people today is that more black Americans because we are no longer heavily oppressed and discriminated against are now trying to have this materialistic/greedy culture and are abandoning many of our historic tenets.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,474,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"July, 2019 we had a sitting potus tweeting racist tweets and" There was NOTHING racist about them.
True racists racism in EVERYTHING!

Whenever a non colored person says anything that disagrees with what a colored person says thay are called RACIST!
Ugh. You are not quick enough if you're still using the phrase 'colored person'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies