U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM

46,257 posts, read 18,302,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

This was the thought process for years and years, 1950's - 1990's. That is a lot of underfunding and ignoring of major issues in black communities. How many of you started the day with cleaning termites and roaches off the desk like I did in Florida before the Pledge of Allegiance? The swift change in communities of black folks was ushered in by public policy (welfare, underfunding of schools, public housing). Many cities were happy with holding all the black folk in one area so the rest of the city could be COLOR FREE, and the voters backed it through re-election of the same politicians, Republican and Democrat.
Here's some history for you. Before "funding" to fix things.

Black communities were thriving, full of Black owned businesses, little crime, few drugs BEFORE Democrats started to "fix it" for them. Now they've been replaced by places like Baltimore.

The results speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM

925 posts, read 450,889 times
Ronald Reagan supported apartheid in South Africa in the 1980s while all other countries were disowning the regime. His reputation should be destroyed for all time just for that, not even mentioning his campaign on inner city African Americans.

https://www.salon.com/2011/02/05/ron..._south_africa/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/19/apartheid-amnesia/

Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 PM

10,076 posts, read 6,701,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Can tell you for a fact NO

anyone can do anything with youtube and it didn't even exist back in the 70s, or certainly not as it does today. editing, adding, etc to a tape can do a lot to alter the tape. And as for a racist joke: we are talking 40 years ago, racist jokes were just something that went around and mostly meant notice except some were or are pretty funny. I hear jokes all the time referring to older people. Most of them are pretty funny and not meant to insult anyone. BTW I am in my 80s.
Well, I look more at his policies more than anything else. This conversation really is a minor matter that doesn't change how I felt about Reagan back then or now.

When he was campaigning for governor in 1966, he sided with the real estate industry in opposing anti-discrimination legislation in housing. He also voiced his opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act. So he already was no friend of civil rights enforcement.

When he was president, his Justice Department notably supporting Bob Jones University, which banned interracial dating and marriage, to applying for federal funds (this was struck down by the USSC). Reagan also gutted the Civil Rights Commission. The Reagan era DOJ Civil Rights Division also all but halted enforcing laws barring discrimination against people of color.

His administration's opposition of sanctions on apartheid era South Africa (while most of the rest of the industrialized nations were opposed to them), didn't help.

So this doesn't change a thing, but pretty much confirms that Reagan cared little about people of color in his policy decisions. And not surprisingly, African American voters returned the favor to him, dropping their votes for him from 14% in 1980 to 9% in 1984.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:56 PM

48,786 posts, read 45,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Ronald Reagan supported apartheid in South Africa in the 1980s while all other countries were disowning the regime. His reputation should be destroyed for all time just for that, not even mentioning his campaign on inner city African Americans.

https://www.salon.com/2011/02/05/ron..._south_africa/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/19/apartheid-amnesia/
That's another no-no on my list. Supporting the Apartheid regime is a no-no for me.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So this doesn't change a thing, but pretty much confirms that Reagan cared little about people of color in his policy decisions. And not surprisingly, African American voters returned the favor to him, dropping their votes for him from 14% in 1980 to 9% in 1984.

Reagan won 49 states in 1984 and 525 electoral votes. Obviously he had little concern about "race" in his policies because it ranked like 0 on the list of things that people were concerned about. And the things you mentioned were not on the minds of people of that time, obviously. It's an issue now because today's leftists have a meme to push and making out Reagan to be a racist, which he wasn't, is simply part of that.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
States rights is in the Constitution. The right to discriminate in rental housing is not. These are two different things. Reagan was pro-states rights long before he ran for president, because as Gov. of California he ran into problems in dealing with fed. mandates. It's not always about race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BuwYjbQOC8
The states have certain rights to an extent. However, when a state government violates one's Constitutional rights, then the federal government should step in to enforce order. I think about this. When Reagan made his speech about states' rights in Neshoba County, Mississippi,there is a good reason why many Blacks weren't happy about it. In the place where 3 civil rights workers were murdered, it wasn't sending a good message. For the most part, states' rights hasn't served Blacks very well at all. Some things might not be about race, but in some cases, race is a factor.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:46 PM

6,604 posts, read 9,125,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post

Ronald Reagan supported apartheid in South Africa in the 1980s while all other countries were disowning the regime. His reputation should be destroyed for all time just for that
This is what makes me wonder if the stuff he says on that tape had shaped how Reagan viewed human rights when it came to Black Africans fighting for freedom?

Old 08-02-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This is what makes me wonder if the stuff he says on that tape had shaped how Reagan viewed human rights when it came to Black Africans fighting for freedom?
Stuff like this is why I have no respect for Ronald Reagan. This and the failure of a drug war.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 PM

5,061 posts, read 3,735,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How much did the racial attitude expressed by Ronald Reagan in these tapes shape any of his policies towards Africans and Black people in general?

Just another racist Yankee. Born in Illinois, raised in CA. Kind of bucks that white southern racist theory doesn't it?

Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Stuff like this is why I have no respect for Ronald Reagan. This and the failure of a drug war.
So a question for you. Do you support Joe Biden. He was far worse than Reagan at that time.

And he's since sealed his own senate records so he can't be held to account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or