U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

12,721 posts, read 3,969,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know why some people would defend Reagan's support of the then-apartheid regime. There are individuals who view Black people are inferior and see the apartheid regime from this perspective: "Only Whites should have a say, Blacks should just submit because they are inferior and incapable". Some people really are just that bigoted.
Nah some good people just don't want to live among many black people and worse be governed by them and for good reasons. You don't even want to and you're black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,601,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
...That tape from 1971 likely was the true time snippet of his bigotry when he was younger...
Ronald Reagan was 60 years old in 1971.

And for those who doubt the audio, Reagan's own daughter recognized his voice in the audio and it made her cry.

https://time.com/5642040/ronald-reagan-daughter-racism/

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

48,786 posts, read 45,833,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Nah some good people just don't want to live among many black people and worse be governed by them and for good reasons. You don't even want to and you're black.
So much so some people would commit human rights abuses. Thank you for letting me know how much you think Blacks are inferior.

And how would you know if I want to live among Black people or not?

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Ronald Reagan was 60 years old in 1971.

And for those who doubt the audio, Reagan's own daughter recognized his voice in the audio and it made her cry.

https://time.com/5642040/ronald-reagan-daughter-racism/
If this is true, then this where I'm coming from. There are many who suspect Ronald Reagan was a racist. He was not a supporter of the Civil Rights Act. Saying stuff like that will just confirm what many suspect.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Quote:
So much so some people would commit human rights abuses. Thank you for letting me know how much you think Blacks are inferior.

And how would you know if I want to live among Black people or not?
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they don't find their culture compatible or preferable to them. That was probably Regan's thinking. You posted before that you lived in predominately white locales and wanted to move to them?

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they don't find their culture compatible or preferable to them. That was probably Regan's thinking. You posted before that you lived in predominately white locales and wanted to move to them?
Based on things you've said in the past, and based on the fact that you seem to be excusing Reagan's support for the Apartheid regime, what else can I get from this other than you believing that "Blacks are inferior"? And if that was Reagan's thinking, don't expect many Black Americans to have much respect for him.

And I never once said that I wanted to live in a predominantly White neighborhood. I said I grew up in one. I said that I have the right to live wherever I want. And what is any of this to you?

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

10,965 posts, read 4,516,582 times
PBS did an amazingly good piece on this yesterday. In total contrast to the normal horrible-racists-are-everywhere manure we see from them, this was a nuanced and ultimately positive view of Reagan's attitudes on race. I was wondering what the heck was going on... until 7:07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whOl89CH0zY

Reagan is needed as a stick to bash Trump for his immigration policies.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,601,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
What is the basis for Reagan being 'covertly racist?' If you make the accusation, back it the bleep up. I'm so sick of these false accusations of racism that divide and inflame. Maybe YOU are the covert racist. Read the above link and tell me that you still believe Reagan was 'covertly racist.'

There are tons of reasons to attack Reagan, on policy grounds. The vacuous can't do that though, so they resort to 'raaaaaaacist.'
Your post was directed to someone else; however, here are the actual words of the tape, made by Reagan:

To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they’re still uncomfortable wearing shoes!” Reagan exclaimed.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and...-richard-nixon

If you read the article, you will learn how the tape surfaced. It is not a con job. It is a real tape of a real comment made by Ronald Reagan in a conversation with President Richard Nixon in October, 1971.

It is not a false accusation.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Based on things you've said in the past, and based on the fact that you seem to be excusing Reagan's support for the Apartheid regime, what else can I get from this other than you believing that "Blacks are inferior"? And if that was Reagan's thinking, don't expect many Black Americans to have much respect for him.

And I never once said that I wanted to live in a predominantly White neighborhood. I said I grew up in one. I said that I have the right to live wherever I want. And what is any of this to you?
I don't know maybe like I said not everyone feels compatible with their culture for various reasons. If someone prefers one thing to the other it's just a preference, and doesn't have to mean the other is inferior.

Do you prefer to live in predominately white neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or