Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:48 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,356,728 times

Advertisements

How much did the racial attitude expressed by Ronald Reagan in these tapes shape any of his policies towards Africans and Black people in general?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How much did the racial attitude expressed by Ronald Reagan in these tapes shape any of his policies towards Africans and Black people in general?

Can tell you for a fact NO

anyone can do anything with youtube and it didn't even exist back in the 70s, or certainly not as it does today. editing, adding, etc to a tape can do a lot to alter the tape. And as for a racist joke: we are talking 40 years ago, racist jokes were just something that went around and mostly meant notice except some were or are pretty funny. I hear jokes all the time referring to older people. Most of them are pretty funny and not meant to insult anyone. BTW I am in my 80s.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:59 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times
I’m not a Republican, but I doubt that Reagan was any more overtly racist than most of his era. By the time that Reagan received the Republican Nomination in 1980, the southern conservatives were an important part of the GOP. He went to the Neshoba County Fair in 1980, not far where the bodies of Goodwin, Schwerner and Chaney were discovered in 1964, and declared himself a supporter of States Rights. He did that and made the necessary dog whistles about “Welfare Queens” and “Young Bucks with Food Stanps” not out of personal racism, but for political opportunism because they were at that time a core group that he needed to win.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

My recollection of Reagan is somewhat limited because I was a teenager in the 80s and not really paying much attention to politics yet.

To my knowledge, Reagan seems to have concentrated mostly on foreign policy. I think he tended to pay less attention to the domestic side of things, including black issues. When his administration did concentrate on domestic affairs it was on things like trying to grow the economy and reduce inflation, things that effect all Americans not just blacks. High inflation was a big issue in the early 80s.

Reagan did promote an African American, General Colin Powell, as his National Security Advisor. He also had the first Hispanic to serve in the Cabinet, Lauro Cavazos as the US Secretary of Education. He also had several women in positions of power but otherwise the majority of the government was white males.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:32 PM

17,296 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Well he did turn on the 2nd amendment simply because the Black Panthers were exercising open carry rights, starting CA down the path of gun control.
"There's no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons"

Old 08-01-2019, 02:35 PM

2,923 posts, read 976,980 times
who knows, maybe. but im willing to bet every president we've ever had has made 'racist' comments at some point however LBJ tops them all.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:50 PM

15,812 posts, read 6,523,439 times
Reagan's record on civil rights wasn't good at all. Even Tricky Dicky did much better in that regard.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Karl Marx shaped his economic policies. Protectionism was his bread and butter. Just ask the Japanese about his tariffs.

The killing of innocents in various Central American countries was probably influenced by Stalin or Trotsky. Take your pick.

Doubling the budget for the Dept. of Education probably falls under his love for Goebbels.

So many ruthless warlords to emulate and only 8 years to do so...(strokes his beard pondering Reagan's legacy)...I think he did a pretty good job.

Race?

Blah. Ancillary and a distraction TBH.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:37 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I’m not a Republican, but I doubt that Reagan was any more overtly racist than most of his era. By the time that Reagan received the Republican Nomination in 1980, the southern conservatives were an important part of the GOP. He went to the Neshoba County Fair in 1980, not far where the bodies of Goodwin, Schwerner and Chaney were discovered in 1964, and declared himself a supporter of States Rights. He did that and made the necessary dog whistles about “Welfare Queens” and “Young Bucks with Food Stanps” not out of personal racism, but for political opportunism because they were at that time a core group that he needed to win.
Reagan shouldn't have done such dog whistles. He was wrong for that. For that reason, I have no respect for him. Actually, I sort of though of him as a covertly racist person. However, stuff like this, why would I vote for someone like that?

Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I’m not a Republican, but I doubt that Reagan was any more overtly racist than most of his era. . He went to the Neshoba County Fair in 1980, not far where the bodies of Goodwin, Schwerner and Chaney were discovered in 1964, and declared himself a supporter of States Rights. He did that and made the necessary dog whistles about “Welfare Queens” and “Young Bucks with Food Stanps” not out of personal racism, but for political opportunism because they were at that time a core group that he needed to win.
This old chestnut AGAIN?

Mikael Dukakis held a campaign rally at the Neshoba County Fairgrounds (not 'fair') also in 1988 when running against HW Bush. It's about 7-9 miles from the bodies you describe. Was Dukakis therefore sending racist dog whistles? Or are you a hypocrite. It's gotta be one or the other....

I give you credit for not claiming that Reagan's speech was in Philadelphia, MS, as is usually done with this meme. The meme is gradually being refined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies