U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
1,516 posts, read 359,260 times
Reputation: 1167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes - I think slightly more, but still inconsequential.
They found their boogey man air to tax, and actually made it culturally acknowledged as an accepted LIE.

Sick stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
950 posts, read 1,137,002 times
Reputation: 1084
I was recently reading an article that ocean freight is responsible for about 28% of the worlds transportation pollution and that much of it still uses low quality sulfur rich (dirty) fuel oils which are getting cleaned up or will require the ships to install "scrubbers" in 2020.

I don't like the nanny state speed limiter stuff, sometimes you need to drive fast to get yourself or a relative to the hospital, something upsets your stomach and you don't want to crap your pants, or other emergency. Every time the economy is good, I see tons of people driving around by themselves in huge SUV's and think to myself they aren't doing their part. After paying $5/gallon for gas in 2008, wife laid off, with things getting close to "choose one-drive to work or buy food", I will always have a car that see's at least 30mpg highway.

If you want to make real change:

-Require lower insurance premiums to promote efficient 2nd vehicle ownership...I know a lot of people with many kids or a job that are stuck driving a truck or SUV because the additional insurance cost for a 2nd vehicle is more than the cost of fuel for the guzzler. Also, this is the case even though the driver is only driving one vehicle at a time.

-Get the EPA to stop regulating pollution by per-unit of fuel burned which saddles our would-be super efficient diesel and lean burn gasoline engines with parasitic emissions systems that reduce mpg...and prohibits their manufacture/import altogether.

-More people =more traffic. Even the most efficient cars don't get any MPG sitting stopped in traffic. More roads/lanes maybe? Bueller, anyone? My town has grown 25% and all they've done is put in bicycle lanes. Yes I'm going to go to work and show up soaking wet and sweaty to have a sales meeting with potential clients <end sarcasm>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:26 PM
 
9,981 posts, read 4,703,025 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I was recently reading an article that ocean freight is responsible for about 28% of the worlds transportation pollution and that much of it still uses low quality sulfur rich (dirty) fuel oils which are getting cleaned up or will require the ships to install "scrubbers" in 2020.

I don't like the nanny state speed limiter stuff, sometimes you need to drive fast to get yourself or a relative to the hospital, something upsets your stomach and you don't want to crap your pants, or other emergency. Every time the economy is good, I see tons of people driving around by themselves in huge SUV's and think to myself they aren't doing their part. After paying $5/gallon for gas in 2008, wife laid off, with things getting close to "choose one-drive to work or buy food", I will always have a car that see's at least 30mpg highway.

If you want to make real change:

-Require lower insurance premiums to promote efficient 2nd vehicle ownership...I know a lot of people with many kids or a job that are stuck driving a truck or SUV because the additional insurance cost for a 2nd vehicle is more than the cost of fuel for the guzzler. Also, this is the case even though the driver is only driving one vehicle at a time.

-Get the EPA to stop regulating pollution by per-unit of fuel burned which saddles our would-be super efficient diesel and lean burn gasoline engines with parasitic emissions systems that reduce mpg...and prohibits their manufacture/import altogether.

-More people =more traffic. Even the most efficient cars don't get any MPG sitting stopped in traffic. More roads/lanes maybe? Bueller, anyone? My town has grown 25% and all they've done is put in bicycle lanes. Yes I'm going to go to work and show up soaking wet and sweaty to have a sales meeting with potential clients <end sarcasm>
Eliminate ethanol in gas. It is only used to get votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:28 PM
 
10,243 posts, read 6,397,740 times
Reputation: 8527
Whatever, talk to China and get back with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM
 
32,864 posts, read 16,819,986 times
Reputation: 17733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You get better gas mileage driving 55mph, but you are doing it for a longer period of time. Which consumes less gas?
We are all dumber for having read that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
1,516 posts, read 359,260 times
Reputation: 1167
Save the Planet

Ban water vapor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 PM
509 509 started this thread
 
3,057 posts, read 4,130,102 times
Reputation: 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
$8.00 a gallon? You must really hate the poor.
I don't hate the poor.....that is the price to get C02 emissions from cars reduced to the same level as 55 MPH.

Research here...I think they are low in their estimate.

https://www.resourcesmag.org/common-...-a-carbon-tax/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:35 PM
 
24,585 posts, read 12,138,020 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I don't hate the poor.....that is the price to get C02 emissions from cars reduced to the same level as 55 MPH.

Research here...I think they are low in their estimate.

https://www.resourcesmag.org/common-...-a-carbon-tax/
I make my own diesel and drive as fast as I please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Seattle
947 posts, read 349,151 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
$8.00 a gallon? You must really hate the poor.

We'd see a lot more scooters on the road, that's for certain....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:38 PM
 
24,585 posts, read 12,138,020 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
We'd see a lot more scooters on the road, that's for certain....
And a lot of roadkill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top