U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:57 PM

2,147 posts, read 451,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I don't hate the poor.....that is the price to get C02 emissions from cars reduced to the same level as 55 MPH.

Research here...I think they are low in their estimate.

https://www.resourcesmag.org/common-...-a-carbon-tax/
A price nobody is willing to pay, so "NO SALE".

Last edited by Open-D; 08-01-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:03 PM

2,421 posts, read 657,098 times
Quote:
Transportation is the major source of CO2 emissions in western countries.

From the European version of EPA.....Transport is the only sector whose greenhouse emissions increased between 1990 and 2008. Transportís total GHG output rose 25 % in the 32 EEA member countries (this excludes the international maritime and aviation sectors), accounting for 19.5 % of total emissions. CO2 is the main component of transport greenhouse gas emissions (99 %) and road transport is, in turn, the largest contributor to these emissions (around 94 % in 2008), thus accounting for 18.2% of total emissions.

As noted in this article, the French think reducing speed limits will reduce CO2 emissions by 30%!!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/...mit-autobahns/

That is huge!!

The Democrats are proposing a carbon tax or cap and trade policy when it comes to C02 emissions. However, to get a 30% reduction via taxes would require a ADDITIONAL gas tax of THREE to FIVE dollars a gallon.

The alternative is much simpler and cheaper. Drop the speed limit to 55 MPH.

BTW....70% or more of the transportation CO2 emissions come from BLUE STATES. The Governor of the state has the ability to set speed limits for ALL roads in their states. No new laws to be passed, and there is nothing President Trump can do to stop it.

In fact, in 1973, the three Republican governors of Washngton (Evans), Oregon (McCall), and California (Reagan) imposed the 55 MPH limit overnight!! I remember driving from Vancouver, Canada to Berkeley, CA a few days after the speed limit was imposed. Easy to do.

Since "global climate change" is now "settled science. Every Democrat running for President and all their Governors support climate change it looks like an additional $4/gallon gas tax or 55 MPH.

Like to hear people's comments on which you prefer and why. Accept as a given that it is taxes or 55 MPH. This thread is not about the validity of global warming...thanks.

A load of white shop coat BS......they've already been caught cooking the books on temp.......we've already got Newsom stacking on taxes here in Kalee..........if it starts spreading for this stupid climate stuff I hope we start to see some pushback out there......

Old 08-01-2019, 06:18 PM

19,725 posts, read 12,419,378 times
Quote:
Transportation is the major source of CO2 emissions in western countries.

From the European version of EPA.....Transport is the only sector whose greenhouse emissions increased between 1990 and 2008. Transport’s total GHG output rose 25 % in the 32 EEA member countries (this excludes the international maritime and aviation sectors), accounting for 19.5 % of total emissions. CO2 is the main component of transport greenhouse gas emissions (99 %) and road transport is, in turn, the largest contributor to these emissions (around 94 % in 2008), thus accounting for 18.2% of total emissions.

As noted in this article, the French think reducing speed limits will reduce CO2 emissions by 30%!!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/...mit-autobahns/

That is huge!!

The Democrats are proposing a carbon tax or cap and trade policy when it comes to C02 emissions. However, to get a 30% reduction via taxes would require a ADDITIONAL gas tax of THREE to FIVE dollars a gallon.

The alternative is much simpler and cheaper. Drop the speed limit to 55 MPH.

BTW....70% or more of the transportation CO2 emissions come from BLUE STATES. The Governor of the state has the ability to set speed limits for ALL roads in their states. No new laws to be passed, and there is nothing President Trump can do to stop it.

In fact, in 1973, the three Republican governors of Washngton (Evans), Oregon (McCall), and California (Reagan) imposed the 55 MPH limit overnight!! I remember driving from Vancouver, Canada to Berkeley, CA a few days after the speed limit was imposed. Easy to do.

Since "global climate change" is now "settled science. Every Democrat running for President and all their Governors support climate change it looks like an additional $4/gallon gas tax or 55 MPH.

Like to hear people's comments on which you prefer and why. Accept as a given that it is taxes or 55 MPH. This thread is not about the validity of global warming...thanks.

"Climate change" is only settled between the ears of liberals. It is a hoax that is so full of holes that any rational scientist would laugh it off as a terribly flawed hypothesis. As the people supporting it are either making a buck from it, or have no clue about science, it has had a much longer life than most other hoaxes.

I lived through the 55 mph speed limit. It was terrible, as everyone just sped anyway, creating a "cat and mouse" game between the drivers and the cops.

Limiting CO2? Are you kidding? We need MORE CO2. Further, NOTHING the US can or will do will balance out the CO2 production from China and India. Most of the damaging sulpher emissions that create acid rain come from those nations. The liberals want to practice self flagellation for some guilt they have, which the rest of us do not share.

Liberals want to initiate all sorts of nonsense that would be damaging to people who know better. If libs themselves want to participate in lunacy, that is their own business and they are welcome to it. But when their crazy views start affecting the rest of us, that is when it is not funny anymore.

If you want to be a loon and give up heating, AC, cars, plastics, electricity, that is fine with me. However, the adults in the room know that AGW is a terrible hoax and do not need to personally suffer in order to prove it. Libs, however, want everyone to suffer equally, so they want to impose their lunatic ideas on the rest of us who know better.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:20 PM
509 509 started this thread

3,058 posts, read 4,132,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
A load of white shop coat BS......they've already been caught cooking the books on temp.......we've already got Newsom stacking on taxes here in Kalee..........if it starts spreading for this stupid climate stuff I hope we start to see some pushback out there......
Well, it sounds like your clearly on the side of 55 MPH instead of carbon taxes.

The 40 cent a gallon carbon tax on gasoline in BC reduced driving by 2%. It really does take a ADDITIONAL tax of 3-5 dollars to reduce driving.

Why would anybody support a tax of that magnitude...when all you have to do IS drive 55 mph?? We had the 55 MPH speed limit from 1973 until 1995.

Somehow, everybody survived driving 55 mph.

But really folks.....I have got more time than money (particularly for 8 dollar a gallon gas in Washington state that would come under the Inslee proposals).

Old 08-01-2019, 06:34 PM

2,147 posts, read 451,000 times
Quote:
Well, it sounds like your clearly on the side of 55 MPH instead of carbon taxes.

The 40 cent a gallon carbon tax on gasoline in BC reduced driving by 2%. It really does take a ADDITIONAL tax of 3-5 dollars to reduce driving.

Why would anybody support a tax of that magnitude...when all you have to do IS drive 55 mph?? We had the 55 MPH speed limit from 1973 until 1995.

Somehow, everybody survived driving 55 mph.

But really folks.....I have got more time than money (particularly for 8 dollar a gallon gas in Washington state that would come under the Inslee proposals).
The 55 mph speed limit was an abomination brought to us by the worst President ever until Obama deposed him as the worst.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:34 PM

11,032 posts, read 2,857,461 times
Quote:
Enforcement would NOT be a issue.

The Europeans are going to require all their cars have speed governors linked to GPS. You litterally, will NOT be able to go over the speed limit. I believe the proposal is to start it in 2022.

For us....it is even simpler. The state governments can contract with Google. Google knows how fast your phone is going, where it is, and the speed limit for that section of road. Shutting off the phone, doesn't work....Google still knows where you are.

The only way to avoid it would be to travel without a phone. I don't think anybody would do that.

It would be just like the red light cameras. You get a ticket in the mail.
Welcome to '1984'!!! Geez!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:44 PM

7,218 posts, read 7,862,235 times
I can’t believe there is a serious discussion about using taxes as an incentive to force people to change behavior. What 1984 worshipping idiot came up with this as an idea, and what Orwellian twits are supporting it?

Old 08-01-2019, 06:46 PM

7,218 posts, read 7,862,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Welcome to '1984'!!! Geez!
You beat me to the 1984 reference. In fairness, I gave up on reading the thread after the first page.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:52 PM
509 509 started this thread

3,058 posts, read 4,132,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I canít believe there is a serious discussion about using taxes as an incentive to force people to change behavior. What 1984 worshipping idiot came up with this as an idea, and what Orwellian twits are supporting it?
Well, Jim IF your still reading......it is the policy position of the Democrat Party.

Just a few weeks ago....the only thing that kept Oregon from imposing a carbon tax was the Republicans left the state so there was no quorum in the Legislature. After the next election, it might be a different outcome.

I guess NOBODY wants to save the planet.....sort of like "everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die".

Then WHY are we spending so much time talking about climate change as a society??

Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 PM

32,636 posts, read 26,619,897 times
oh gee the wonderful speed governors, how stupid. for one there are ways around them, even the electronic ones, and for two, if you limit the top speed to something stupid like 55mph, then you actually INCREASE the danger of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or