U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,505 posts, read 15,889,644 times
Reputation: 9928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh gee, another politician trying to use bible verses to make his case, and failing.
The bible is so vague it can say anything you want it to. Everyone knows this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM
 
11,111 posts, read 6,166,172 times
Reputation: 6082
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Scripture definitely supports wealthy people going to hell. Big time. In fact, I'd say that's one of the main issues that Big J was into.
Yeah, he liked poor people. That's who he hung out with.

I think Buttigieg was taking a jab at the evangelicals and their hypocrisy. And deservedly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:43 PM
 
45,942 posts, read 18,182,372 times
Reputation: 19183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

I think Buttigieg was taking a jab at the evangelicals and their hypocrisy. And deservedly so.
If you think this, then you honestly don't know what you are talking about.



He is, in fact, very religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:46 PM
 
2,800 posts, read 4,525,771 times
Reputation: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...-proverbs.html




Leaving aside the sheer ridiculousness, Mayor Pete should brush up on his Bible studies, and on his economics, before running for POTUS. In the first place, Judeo-Christian thought generally references charitable behavior as being voluntary--from the heart. Legislative mandates is not what God is looking for (disclosure: I am neither Jewish nor Christian, but I have read the Bible.)

Secondly, the fiat minimum wage, as currently implemented in the US, is chicanery that overall hurts those it is supposed to help, namely low-wage workers. When I took econ 101 many years ago, our text was Paul Samuelson, generally considered a liberal. He had a simple supply-demand graph and a few lines of algebra showing how this is the case. You can find similar on YouTube.

There are honest ways of implementing a minimum wage such that low-wage workers would actually be helped, but politicians shy away from them because they're expensive. The fiat minimum wage is basically free of cost--but also free of efficacy.

The fiat minimum wage is political chicanery, a type of 'dishonest scales.' IMO The Lord does not approve.

One of my pet peeves is someone quote just one verse with out the ones above or the blow it. The whole chapter of Proverbs 14 talks about life and death. It's quite interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:52 PM
 
11,111 posts, read 6,166,172 times
Reputation: 6082
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you think this, then you honestly don't know what you are talking about.



He is, in fact, very religious.
All the more reason for him to call out fake Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 PM
 
32,567 posts, read 26,503,233 times
Reputation: 19194
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Scripture definitely supports wealthy people going to hell. Big time. In fact, I'd say that's one of the main issues that Big J was into.

well sort of. jesus said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven. basically he was saying that you cant buy your way into heaven with material things and money. you have to get in through the grace of god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,745 posts, read 3,693,530 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
4 Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the Lord came to him: 5 “Go back and tell Hezekiah, the ruler of my people, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the Lord. 6 I will add fifteen years to your life. And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my sake and for the sake of my servant David.’” 2 Kings 20:4-6
I'll be darned, there it is, plain as day. God has clearly commanded that the minimum wage must be increased to $15 per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:05 PM
 
17,272 posts, read 8,737,856 times
Reputation: 9940
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you think this, then you honestly don't know what you are talking about.



He is, in fact, very religious.
How is it that lefty hardly knows anything about their candidates? In some cases, don’t even know who’s running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,505 posts, read 15,889,644 times
Reputation: 9928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
One of my pet peeves is someone quote just one verse with out the ones above or the blow it. The whole chapter of Proverbs 14 talks about life and death. It's quite interesting.
Do you say the same thing about evangelicals who use scripture quotes without context to defend their stances too. I don't like Mayor Pete, but he is right for going after the hypocrisy of the right wing evangelicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Texas
35,417 posts, read 19,408,514 times
Reputation: 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
But scripture doesn’t say anything about how many hours they will work. Get a pay raise, get your hours cut equals same paycheck.
Quote:
Proverbs 14:31 (NIV): “Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”
It's all about underpaying workers.

Who would Jesus cheat?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top