Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:07 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,988,790 times

Advertisements

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...-proverbs.html

Quote:
“Minimum wage is just too low,” the South Bend, Indiana, mayor said. “So-called conservative Christian senators right now in the Senate are blocking a bill to raise the minimum wage when Scripture says that whoever oppresses the poor taunts their Maker.”
Buttigieg, an Episcopalian, was referencing Proverbs 14:31 (NIV): “Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”
Leaving aside the sheer ridiculousness, Mayor Pete should brush up on his Bible studies, and on his economics, before running for POTUS. In the first place, Judeo-Christian thought generally references charitable behavior as being voluntary--from the heart. Legislative mandates is not what God is looking for (disclosure: I am neither Jewish nor Christian, but I have read the Bible.)

Secondly, the fiat minimum wage, as currently implemented in the US, is chicanery that overall hurts those it is supposed to help, namely low-wage workers. When I took econ 101 many years ago, our text was Paul Samuelson, generally considered a liberal. He had a simple supply-demand graph and a few lines of algebra showing how this is the case. You can find similar on YouTube.

There are honest ways of implementing a minimum wage such that low-wage workers would actually be helped, but politicians shy away from them because they're expensive. The fiat minimum wage is basically free of cost--but also free of efficacy.

Quote:
Proverbs 11:1: "The Lord abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are His delight."
The fiat minimum wage is political chicanery, a type of 'dishonest scales.' IMO The Lord does not approve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,131,904 times
But scripture doesn’t say anything about how many hours they will work. Get a pay raise, get your hours cut equals same paycheck.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
oh gee, another politician trying to use bible verses to make his case, and failing.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,988,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh gee, another politician trying to use bible verses to make his case, and failing.
It's often a bi-partisan affair. When John Kasich ran for prez, he cited Matthew 25 ('for I was hungry, and you gave me meat; I was thirsty, and you gave me drink') as his justification for expanding Medicaid in Ohio (IIRC, I may have a detail wrong, but the principle is right).

Not the same thing, howled a chorus of Christians. Matthew 25 refers to voluntary charity, not robbing x and giving to y.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:40 PM

27,537 posts, read 15,966,585 times
wheres bawack when you need em?

Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Yeah, this minimum wage theory doesn't work.

Scripture does not mandate some wage requirement. It does point towards both employees (slaves) and employers (masters) to treat each other properly.

And just to get this out of the way - the Bible does not support mistreatment of any kind, and I have in mind America's slave history - because I assume that argument would be coming. However, it does acknowledge slavery existed - and it gave guidelines on how both parties were to treat each other.

I think I'm pretty safe in saying slaves back then did not make $15/hr.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,375,884 times
This is another thing this often bipartisan: using the Bible to support your stance on something, even if the Scriptures don't actually say that in letter or spirit!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,360,164 times
Bible both says people who don't work shouldn't eat and also condemns rich people who aren't charitable or don't pay their works promised wages.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,413,910 times
He's an interesting guy. Not often that you see a Gay man quoting scripture to promote a point.

Democrats would do well to look more at him, instead of being fixated on the loons called the Squad, Mad Maxine, King Elijah, and Sleepy Joe.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,586,059 times
Scripture definitely supports wealthy people going to hell. Big time. In fact, I'd say that's one of the main issues that Big J was into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies