U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:05 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,043,738 times

Advertisements

According to a Newsweek article Congressman Cummings' Baltimore received 15.7 billion dollars last year. https://www.newsweek.com/cummings-tr...-tlaib-1451411 Was it used to help the people in his district? I looked it up and, for the most part, the answer is no. Instead it was mostly used to for medical research, NASA, and the operations of federal agencies located in Baltimore County, like Social Security and Medicare. Those expenditures mostly benefit the nation as a whole. Baltimore City needs to be punished for this outrageous misappropriation of federal aid. In fact, I believe the only appropriate solution for this travesty is make Baltimore City, and companies located in the city, especially Johns Hopkins, ineligible for federal funding. Baltimore City needs some tough love if is ever going to turn the situation around. This cannot be allowed to stand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:28 PM

24,262 posts, read 12,036,965 times
Dying cities should be allowed to die.

Old Today, 07:35 PM

5,745 posts, read 3,688,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
According to a Newsweek article Congressman Cummings' Baltimore received 15.7 billion dollars last year. https://www.newsweek.com/cummings-tr...-tlaib-1451411 Was it used to help the people in his district? I looked it up and, for the most part, the answer is no. Instead it was mostly used to for medical research, NASA, and the operations of federal agencies located in Baltimore County, like Social Security and Medicare. Those expenditures mostly benefit the nation as a whole. Baltimore City needs to be punished for this outrageous misappropriation of federal aid. In fact, I believe the only appropriate solution for this travesty is make Baltimore City, and companies located in the city, especially Johns Hopkins, ineligible for federal funding. Baltimore City needs some tough love if is ever going to turn the situation around. This cannot be allowed to stand!
Saying that Cummings' district received $15.7 billion is not at all the same as saying that $15.7 billion was earmarked for civic improvements in his district. It was money that was spent on things that happened to exist in his district, like medical research and Social Security. The latter certainly makes sense, given that the national headquarters of the Social Security Administration just so happens to be located in Cummings' district. Besides, isn't it a GOOD thing that federal money is being used for purposes that benefit the entire country? Prohibiting companies located in Baltimore from receiving federal funding will do nothing but cause an exodus of jobs-producing companies from the city.

You're right, Baltimore City certainly does need tough love to address its problems. But punishing the organizations that provide employment to many city residents is hardly the solution.

Old Today, 07:36 PM

8,866 posts, read 2,531,691 times
Well 3 of the last 4 mayors have been seriously questionable.

I believe it was #48 who was convicted of stealing from the poor. #49 advocated for the riots. #50 is under investigation by the FBI for accepting bribes.

With that kind of leadership what can you expect.

But sure, deflect and make this about Trump being racist and ignore the real facts. The people of Baltimore keep electing crooks and bad leaders.

Old Today, 09:12 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,043,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well 3 of the last 4 mayors have been seriously questionable.

I believe it was #48 who was convicted of stealing from the poor. #49 advocated for the riots. #50 is under investigation by the FBI for accepting bribes.

With that kind of leadership what can you expect.

But sure, deflect and make this about Trump being racist and ignore the real facts. The people of Baltimore keep electing crooks and bad leaders.
I wasn't deflecting. I was simply supporting and fleshing out the President's statement about billions in wasted federal aid. I don't recall talking about mayors in my post.

Old Today, 09:14 PM

23,404 posts, read 12,406,219 times
Lots of cities elect crooks who destroy the city...DETROIT!!!!!!!!

The only reason Trump and fans are focusing on Baltimore is to suggest Cummings is responsible -- when it is local officials not Cummings and it doesn't take away Trump told Cummings to 'go back'......

Please note that Trump has yet to tell Pelosi and Sander to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or