Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:04 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Save what? More people can live there after the ice melts. Other places like New York City, Florida, Delaware, and California's central valley will be flooded.
Great. So the "problem" is over.

Do I get to keep the shirt on my back or was I robbed during the "solution"?

Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'd do a little dance then drink a little water ala Anthony Kiedis.

Also, capitalism doesn't currently exist.

How is this going to "save" the planet?
Ill correct that. Capitalism can help solve it, but companies gotta change their ways. Capitalism in the current state of things just aims for a quick buck.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:31 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
From the opening article:

Quote:
..... Greenland has also been battling a slew of Arctic wildfires,....
Wow! I knew about the massive melt that's been happening, but wildfires? That is really unexpected news to be hearing this soon. I figured there would be at least another 10 years or more to go before we would start hearing about wildfires in Greenland. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise though since there are wildfires have been happening in other Arctic regions too but I understood they are mostly in dry places where permafrost has already melted and there is no ice to melt and dampen the soil and vegetation. I'm guessing Greenland's wildfires are happening near dry coastlines where there is no ice or snow pack nearby.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:11 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Save what? More people can live there after the ice melts. Other places like New York City, Florida, Delaware, and California's central valley will be flooded.
Nobody can live on Greenland after all the ice melts. It won't be there anymore. And neither will a lot of other places.

The massive weight of all the ice (10,500 feet thick at its highest point) in the inland parts of Greenland caused the land under the ice to depress and sink down below sea level very long ago. All the ice is sitting on an underwater depression in the rock. Once all the ice is gone and is no longer being replaced due to warming and the sea level has risen because of the melt, then the entire island will be below sea level. There might be a few rocks sticking up out of the water here and there but for the most part it will all be gone.

Just like those other places near coastlines like New York City, Florida, Delaware, and California's central valley and many, many more places around the world that are much more highly populated than any of those locations that you just named. Not just coastlines but all the huge agricultural river deltas like the Mississippi, the Nile, the Amazon and others like them, as well as other presently inhabited islands, and irrigated flatlands that are presently hosting agriculture, even those that are far inland from coastlines - all going to be underwater because of flooding and tidal backwash. Less food for people and no place to go. No fresh water to drink.

It's not something for people to be blasé about and be thinking it isn't going to displace or destroy a few billion people on earth, including millions of people in North America. You can't just say "Oh it's okay, people can go live in Greenland when the ice is gone." Sure you can if you have gills and can breath under water and can survive on nothing but diluted sea water that no longer has any marine life in it.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:25 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Neither liberals nor conservatives have the power to affect the weather so thread fail. Get back to us when you do.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Neither liberals nor conservatives have the power to affect the weather so thread fail. Get back to us when you do.
We humans can do alot of damage. The climate is just an algorithm, and when nunbers are added to an algorithm, it is altered. Nothing mystical about it. Billions of us. In the same way a bacterium can alter the health of a giant animal, so could we, alter our environment.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Holy smokes, someone tell the scientists :0
The scientists, in this case, don't seem so enthusiastic about this year's Greenland melt. Sorry to burst your bubble.

They may remember what happened last time when consensus doom-mongering over Greenland turned out to be a weather event.
Or maybe they're thinking up ad hoc arguments for why this latest melt has seen a concomitant rise in glacier volume.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
I didn't have the heart to tell him I don't use State-issued promissory notes. I'm fully on alternative currencies.
I have the actual metal. Not useless paper.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:56 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,778 times
Just more alarmism from the Ctrl-Left.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
You could modify my behavior if you incentivize me in the proper way. I don't even have to acknowledge your "problem". Again, this would require a willingness to respect my free will with me reciprocating but it's the only way that doesn't involve violence.
Ok, how about this for an incentive.......what if we try to leave this little planet of ours in a little better shape than we found it, for the sake of our kids and their kids ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies