U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:15 AM

19,483 posts, read 12,336,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
They have gone as far as faking the temp data from Germany, Paris, and England, in which temps reported as "record highs" were taken from recently "urbanized" areas, markedly increasing their previously measured temps.

The truth does not need revisions, alterations, or multiple rationalizations- a cult does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:17 AM

19,483 posts, read 12,336,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nobody can live on Greenland after all the ice melts. It won't be there anymore. And neither will a lot of other places.

The massive weight of all the ice (10,500 feet thick at its highest point) in the inland parts of Greenland caused the land under the ice to depress and sink down below sea level very long ago. All the ice is sitting on an underwater depression in the rock. Once all the ice is gone and is no longer being replaced due to warming and the sea level has risen because of the melt, then the entire island will be below sea level. There might be a few rocks sticking up out of the water here and there but for the most part it will all be gone.

Just like those other places near coastlines like New York City, Florida, Delaware, and California's central valley and many, many more places around the world that are much more highly populated than any of those locations that you just named. Not just coastlines but all the huge agricultural river deltas like the Mississippi, the Nile, the Amazon and others like them, as well as other presently inhabited islands, and irrigated flatlands that are presently hosting agriculture, even those that are far inland from coastlines - all going to be underwater because of flooding and tidal backwash. Less food for people and no place to go. No fresh water to drink.

It's not something for people to be blasé about and be thinking it isn't going to displace or destroy a few billion people on earth, including millions of people in North America. You can't just say "Oh it's okay, people can go live in Greenland when the ice is gone." Sure you can if you have gills and can breath under water and can survive on nothing but diluted sea water that no longer has any marine life in it.

I really can't tell if this is tongue in cheek humor, or whether the author actually believes this.

If the latter, our nation's educational system is in deeper trouble than I thought.

The average elevation of Greenland is 5,300 ft (that is nearly a mile) with a peak over 12,000 feet. Of course, the entire world would be under water if Greenland was under water, with only a few mountain peaks protruding from the Kevin Costner "water world". I am beginning to understand now why many people believe in AGW!

Old Today, 05:20 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 2 days ago)

8,204 posts, read 3,212,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Save what? More people can live there after the ice melts. Other places like New York City, Florida, Delaware, and California's central valley will be flooded.
Nobody cares about Delaware.

Old Today, 05:58 AM

33,339 posts, read 14,055,398 times
Pretty much as predicted the poles will be impacted more by warming. Record temps in Europe, Alaska and thousands of acres of forests burning in Russia. We are headed for the warmest year on record yet again, I think I see a pattern.

Old Today, 06:02 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,256,411 times
How about admitting there is a problem with progressive Democrat run, infested, big city decay first

Solve that problem then we'll talk

Old Today, 06:05 AM

33,339 posts, read 14,055,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
How about admitting there is a problem with progressive Democrat run, infested, big city decay first

Solve that problem then we'll talk

I think there might be a thread on that, use your search tool.

Old Today, 06:09 AM

279 posts, read 138,450 times
Look over there, the earth magnetic poles are making a huge shift.
But I'm sure climate scientists agree it has nothing to do with AGW.

Old Today, 06:36 AM

29,906 posts, read 16,534,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Look over there, the earth magnetic poles are making a huge shift.
But I'm sure climate scientists agree it has nothing to do with AGW.
They'll get around to it.
Of course we will be at fault because there are too many cars on this side of the planet

Old Today, 06:43 AM

25,005 posts, read 9,753,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, how about this for an incentive.......what if we try to leave this little planet of ours in a little better shape than we found it, for the sake of our kids and their kids ?
That's pretty vague. What do you want me to do, specifically? And keep the gun in your holster when you answer.

Old Today, 06:49 AM

10,136 posts, read 8,146,936 times
Truth is hopelessly lost to politics.

Simple question.

Greenland Ice cover percent on Aug 2 1980
vs
Greenland Ice cover precent on Aug 2 2019?

Anyone know the real answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies