U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:50 AM

25,005 posts, read 9,753,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
We humans can do alot of damage. The climate is just an algorithm, and when nunbers are added to an algorithm, it is altered. Nothing mystical about it. Billions of us. In the same way a bacterium can alter the health of a giant animal, so could we, alter our environment.
The climate is an algorithm?

4.5 billion years of earth.

5 billion species of life have existed.

Over, well over, 99% of all species that have ever lived are now extinct.

I'm a lowly government-educated fool but by my calculations this deal doesn't appear as if it will end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,687 posts, read 2,947,229 times
I don't know what's funnier. "scientist" or "CNN."

18,887 posts, read 9,721,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's pretty vague. What do you want me to do, specifically? And keep the gun in your holster when you answer.
They want your money and your freedoms taken from you and me, that is all....Venezuela is the future of following the Democrats.

No change in the temperature of the globe or rate of ice melt in Greenland would occur if the USA ceased to exist and became a gigantic forest.

Old Today, 06:56 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 2 days ago)

8,204 posts, read 3,212,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
They want your money and your freedoms taken from you and me, that is all....Venezuela is the future of following the Democrats.

No change in the temperature of the globe or rate of ice melt in Greenland would occur if the USA ceased to exist and became a gigantic forest.
If the US became a giant empty forest, China would harvest it using machinery built to very lax emission standards.

Old Today, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
If the US became a giant empty forest, China would harvest it using machinery built to very lax emission standards.
True but even that won't affect the globe temperature or the rate of ice melt in Greenland.

The Chinese would also harvest the oil using lax safety and environmental standards as well.

Old Today, 07:01 AM

21,685 posts, read 11,687,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Haha, yep, us crafty lefties have even gone so far as to make this past June and July the hottest in recorded history. Do we have no shame !
Where?

Old Today, 07:15 AM

7,035 posts, read 2,563,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, how about this for an incentive.......what if we try to leave this little planet of ours in a little better shape than we found it, for the sake of our kids and their kids ?
Define "better shape"?

Why climate change is good for the world

In the Middle Ages, the average temps in Greenland were enough to not just grow grains, but to grow in enough excess to raise livestock. As the planet got cooler, that stopped being possible. If you farmed grain and/or raised livestock on Greenland back then, which was better - warmer or colder planet?

As the linked article points out, green plant life depends on a gas that comprises 0.04% of the air around us, and increases in the amount of that gas in the air are PROVEN to benefit the growth, health and resiliency of green plant life...you know, that stuff that virtually every food chain in nature depends on. If you are part of a food chain that depends on plant life (and you are), more CO2 is better, so is more heat that prevents early freezes, late thaws, cold snaps, etc which destroy millions of hectares of farmable crops when they happen.

You have to do better at defining "better shape" because I remain unconvinced that a colder, less_friendly_to_plant_life Earth is "better."

Old Today, 07:16 AM

8,901 posts, read 7,772,590 times
If global warming is this dire a threat, why is Google holding a big party/conference for a bunch of rich celebrities arriving on over 100 private jets(the most poluting way to travel). Why arent they selling their mansions, or their beach front property?

I should add that the summer arctic sea ice is about where its been for the past few years. (Remember when algore said it would disappear by this time)

Last edited by augiedogie; Today at 07:24 AM..

Old Today, 07:18 AM

29,906 posts, read 16,534,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
If global warming is this dire a threat, why is Google holding a big party/conference for a bunch of rich celebrities arriving on over 100 private jets(the most poluting way to travel). Why arent they selling their mansions, or their beach front property?
Its a great theme for a party you gotta admit

Old Today, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Define "better shape"?

Why climate change is good for the world

In the Middle Ages, the average temps in Greenland were enough to not just grow grains, but to grow in enough excess to raise livestock. As the planet got cooler, that stopped being possible. If you farmed grain and/or raised livestock on Greenland back then, which was better - warmer or colder planet?

As the linked article points out, green plant life depends on a gas that comprises 0.04% of the air around us, and increases in the amount of that gas in the air are PROVEN to benefit the growth, health and resiliency of green plant life...you know, that stuff that virtually every food chain in nature depends on. If you are part of a food chain that depends on plant life (and you are), more CO2 is better, so is more heat that prevents early freezes, late thaws, cold snaps, etc which destroy millions of hectares of farmable crops when they happen.

You have to do better at defining "better shape" because I remain unconvinced that a colder, less_friendly_to_plant_life Earth is "better."
Me too, our food supplies are greater with higher temps...so I drive my Hellcat around and listen to that supercharger whine primarily to heat the planet up just enough to grow more food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies