U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:24 AM

11,793 posts, read 8,348,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Step one is acknowledging that there is a problem, then we can start working on solutions before it is too late. But, if we keep putting our heads in the sand...........
We are working on solutions, in fact the US has lead the world in lowering greenhouse gases for the last 24 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier.../#2b3a2cc53535

In addition, 23 out of 25 of the nations who signed the Paris Climate Accord haven't even reached 50% of their goals for lowering emissions.

https://www.instituteforenergyresear...-in-the-world/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:36 AM

32,734 posts, read 16,740,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I should add that the summer arctic sea ice is about where its been for the past few years. (Remember when algore said it would disappear by this time)
This is Roald Amundsen's (2nd from left) and the rest of his expedition members. It took them from 1903 to 1906 to traverse the North West passage, using a purpose-built ship that could tolerate being trapped in ice.

This is the youtube channel of the Schoerer family, who used a 50-foot sailboat in 2016, with their 5 kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ACH2gKty9k

Old Today, 11:42 AM

7,373 posts, read 6,650,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

..... our nation's educational system is in deeper trouble than I thought ..... The average elevation of Greenland is 5,300 ft (that is nearly a mile) with a peak over 12,000 feet.....

And I guess your educational system taught you that peak was solid rock, eh? It's solid ice. That 12,119 feet high peak is ice. So is all that other stuff you call average elevation. It's all ice cap. That's why Greenland is called the biggest ice cap in the world. 84% of Greenland is ice sheet and the rest is all permafrost. The only place where there is any actual elevated rock above sea level is narrow strips of crushed rock around the coastlines and they don't even qualify as real mountains, they're just barren rocky permafrost hills that have been pushed up into ripples by advancing ice sheet in the past. Permafrost melts too so when that permafrost is gone any remaining crushed rock mixed in there will fall apart and collapse into rock gravel.

Here, see for yourself. Click on the image to make it bigger and read the elevation numbers of the ice on Greenland.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ess_map-en.png

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Greenland

.....The Greenland ice sheet is 3 kilometers (1.9 mi) thick and broad enough to blanket an area the size of Mexico. The ice is so massive that its weight presses the bedrock of Greenland below sea level and is so all-concealing that not until recently did scientists discover Greenland's Grand Canyon or the possibility that Greenland might actually be three islands.

If the ice melted, the interior bedrock below sea level would be covered by water.......

Last edited by Zoisite; Today at 12:07 PM..

Old Today, 12:04 PM

32,734 posts, read 16,740,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I really can't tell if this is tongue in cheek humor, or whether the author actually believes this.

If the latter, our nation's educational system is in deeper trouble than I thought.

The average elevation of Greenland is 5,300 ft (that is nearly a mile) with a peak over 12,000 feet. Of course, the entire world would be under water if Greenland was under water, with only a few mountain peaks protruding from the Kevin Costner "water world". I am beginning to understand now why many people believe in AGW!
People say that ignorance isn't painful. They're wrong. It's just that it's the wrong people who feel the pain.

Old Today, 12:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 326,829 times
What's odd is that the AP nor CNN mentioned the fact that Greenland's ice sheet surface mass balance is running well above what it was in 2012.

They also fail to mention the fact that the ice sheet saw substantial growth in 2018, and 2017.

These temps are nothing Greenland hasn't see before either.

I wonder why they didn't mention any of these things?

Old Today, 02:25 PM

30,934 posts, read 31,853,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
What's odd is that the AP nor CNN mentioned the fact that Greenland's ice sheet surface mass balance is running well above what it was in 2012.

They also fail to mention the fact that the ice sheet saw substantial growth in 2018, and 2017.

These temps are nothing Greenland hasn't see before either.

I wonder why they didn't mention any of these things?
Because they are more concerned with what is happening today?

Ten billion tonnes of ice lost from Greenland ice sheet in just one day.....Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist and glaciologist with the Danish Meteorological Institute, pointed out that the ice sheet lost a total of 197 billion tonnes of ice for the month of July.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...servation-area

Old Today, 03:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 351,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Because they are more concerned with what is happening today?

Ten billion tonnes of ice lost from Greenland ice sheet in just one day.....Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist and glaciologist with the Danish Meteorological Institute, pointed out that the ice sheet lost a total of 197 billion tonnes of ice for the month of July.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...servation-area
Wow! Those are SCARY numbers!

In reality, though, it is normal....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7wrRmJ8n5w

Old Today, 03:11 PM

9,162 posts, read 2,826,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I am allowed to (possibly...because I don't think that's what I'm doing) put a gun to my own head. I own myself.

You can't put a gun to my head. You don't own me.

Like every "problem" a morally and logically sound solution is necessary for me to even consider it.

Are you willing to try capitalism (the real kind...no State) to see if your ideas can modify my behavior without threatening me or are you going to put a gun to my head?
It doesn't matter whether you think there are any moral or sound solutions or not. As a matter of fact, Mother Earth doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone believes, doesn't believe, admits, denies, etc. Climate change is happening and no beliefs are going to stop it. I think we have crossed the Rubicon and we are on a downward spiral. All you have to do is look at the myriad of scientific data out there.

Old Today, 03:13 PM

24,281 posts, read 12,041,589 times
I believe I will heat my house with coal this winter.

Old Today, 03:38 PM

30,934 posts, read 31,853,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Wow! Those are SCARY numbers!

In reality, though, it is normal....
Climate denier Tony Heller alias Steven Goddard's opinions do not count....Show me something credible then I'll listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies