U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

5,012 posts, read 1,871,083 times

Advertisements

Will Hurd, the lone African-American Republican Representative in the party's 197 member delegation, will not run for another term. The former CIA officer has served the 23rd Congressional District of Texas located along the Mexican border since 2015.

Hurd is one of just two African-American Republicans in both the House and Senate (total of 248 Republicans). South Carolina Senator Tim Scott is the other.

Will Hurd, the only black GOP representative in the House, announces retirement

https://nypost.com/2019/08/01/will-h...es-retirement/

Last edited by MMS02760; Yesterday at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

7,276 posts, read 2,566,505 times
Hurd’s district is now listed as leaning Democrat by Cook Political Report. It was a close race in 2018.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

25,006 posts, read 9,753,196 times
From the CIA to Congress he probably has stolen enough money for the next 5 generations in his family to live comfortably.

Old Today, 10:50 AM

9,507 posts, read 10,236,366 times
You have to be really racist to chase off a Black Republican. Those guys usually can stomach quite a bit from a racist.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,256,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You have to be really racist to chase off a Black Republican. Those guys usually can stomach quite a bit from a racist.
you have to be really racist to say such and believe such..

Old Today, 10:53 AM

22,489 posts, read 9,565,215 times
Quote:
Ironic that the GOP is often referred to as the party of old white men.

Now it is basically a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

9,507 posts, read 10,236,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
you have to be really racist to say such and believe such..
See post # 3, Could be construed as, "you know how those people steal."

Old Today, 11:02 AM

5,557 posts, read 5,740,473 times
As an AA myself, I had no idea that guy was black lol. I see him do interviews all of the time on a variety of shows and I never would have guessed it. I honestly thought that he was either Hispanic, East Indian or Mid Eastern.

Either way, when people leave any of these federal jobs at this level--I always believe it's because they're getting very lucrative offers from the private sector to sit on committees and chairmen of some sort of board. A lot of these legislative positions are just spring broads for high level, exclusive private sector jobs in lobbying, legal consulting, think tanks, and academia.

I don't believe any of them leave otherwise unless their peers want them to, or unless they just flat out retire from work altogether.

Old Today, 11:09 AM

119 posts, read 47,094 times
After all the years of having to do the mental gymnastics to rationalize his support of the republican agenda he must be exhausted.

Old Today, 11:14 AM

11,457 posts, read 6,003,072 times
Quote:
See post # 3, Could be construed as, "you know how those people steal."
Only someone who wants to see racism in that post sees it there.

It was clearly commentary on the corruption of both entities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or