U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:37 AM

1,668 posts, read 335,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The bill is introducing some pretty basic changes to asylum law, especially in handling families at the border. The proposed increase in immigration judges will help to speed up the process and move migrants more quickly.
It would increase the number of days a family can be held together from 20 days to 100 days, preventing family separations but lengthening the period children could be held in custody with their parents.
It would also require asylum claims be filed in Mexico or a home country instead of the United States, provide funding for 500 new immigration judges and allow unaccompanied minors from Central America to be sent back to their home countries, similar to unaccompanied minors from Canada or Mexico.
Today’s vote should not be controversial, nor should it have been obstructed for as long as it has been. It is Democrats trying desperately to continue to make illegal immigration and open borders a campaign issue in 2020. Democrats would rather prey on a humanitarian crisis than work on real solutions.
Link: https://hotair.com/archives/karen-to...e-asylum-bill/

So, yet more evidence that the Democrats are totally uninterested in addressing the crisis at the border. We need to fire as many of them as possible if the border has any chance of being fixed. The Republicans need to take control of the House, re-elect Trump, get rid of the legislative filibuster in the Senate, and fix immigration once and for all. Obviously the Democrats have no interest in any solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:50 AM

24,269 posts, read 12,041,589 times
Not shocked. They prefer to continue to manufacture the crises at the border.

Old Today, 05:04 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,971 posts, read 2,869,933 times
I can't say that I have any super-liberal friends but I do have many moderate Democrat friends (I consider myself a Libertarian) and NONE of them can understand why the Democratic party is not behind President Trump securing the border. The moderate Dems are the "silent majority" of their party and the loony, super-libs are the squeaky wheel that's getting all the grease.

Old Today, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I can't say that I have any super-liberal friends but I do have many moderate Democrat friends (I consider myself a Libertarian) and NONE of them can understand why the Democratic party is not behind President Trump securing the border. The moderate Dems are the "silent majority" of their party and the loony, super-libs are the squeaky wheel that's getting all the grease.
Well, your friends are getting outvoted in the Democrat primaries by the left wing lunatics. They need to vote Republican in the general election, at least until sanity prevails in the Democrat Party.

Old Today, 05:57 AM

23,416 posts, read 12,413,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://hotair.com/archives/karen-to...e-asylum-bill/

So, yet more evidence that the Democrats are totally uninterested in addressing the crisis at the border. We need to fire as many of them as possible if the border has any chance of being fixed. The Republicans need to take control of the House, re-elect Trump, get rid of the legislative filibuster in the Senate, and fix immigration once and for all. Obviously the Democrats have no interest in any solution.
Your comments suggest you needed to do a wee bit of research of what the Democrats object to with this new bill.

In particular, the legislation seeks to modify the Flores agreement — a 1997 court settlement that requires migrant children to be placed in the least restrictive setting, and released from custody “expeditiously.” A recent court ruling interpreted the limit on detaining children to 20 days.

...oh and this is just one of the objections.

There is no official statement that suggests Democrats do not support the bill because they want open borders..that's your misunderstanding.

Old Today, 05:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 945,681 times
Like Trump said, Mexico is doing more to secure our border than our democrats

Old Today, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your comments suggest you needed to do a wee bit of research of what the Democrats object to with this new bill.

In particular, the legislation seeks to modify the Flores agreement — a 1997 court settlement that requires migrant children to be placed in the least restrictive setting, and released from custody “expeditiously.” A recent court ruling interpreted the limit on detaining children to 20 days.

...oh and this is just one of the objections.

There is no official statement that suggests Democrats do not support the bill because they want open borders..that's your misunderstanding.
Do you understand that legislation takes precedence over opinions of district court judges? Another judge might find the 100 day limit unconstitutional, but then that issue would be litigated.

Where is the Democrat proposal on asylum? I'll bet it's pretty much "open borders" if there is one, which I doubt. They like the status quo.

Old Today, 06:40 AM

10,130 posts, read 8,146,936 times
When showing up at the border, one should need to present clear solid proof of imminent danger within an hour. This is not when caught walking through the desert well within US soil. No family separation necessary. Send them back within the hour.

The vast majority are economic migrants, not refugees.

Old Today, 06:46 AM

37,193 posts, read 16,503,304 times
How about the liberal Democrats in this forum offer their asylum proposals? Let's see what they come up with. I'm curious.

Old Today, 06:49 AM

35,400 posts, read 19,403,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How about the liberal Democrats in this forum offer their asylum proposals? Let's see what they come up with. I'm curious.

OK

Have asylum seekers apply at the US embassy or consulate in their home country.

If their application is approved, THEN they can make the trek to our border, produce the approved paperwork and then they can enter legally.

Seems pretty straightforward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or