Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 04:25 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Would you have been happier if China had control between 1949 and 1997, so thousands more could have been added to their genocide count?
I would've been happy if the Brits didn't behave like thugs and annex Hong Kong over drugs, which killed countless in the decades since. The Brits' action was not victim-less.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It was only 100 years too late. The Brits should have never had control over the city to begin with.
Exactly 175 years ago, there was no such city called Hong Kong. It was only an island with token fishing villages which total population was less than 5,000. By then, the British Prime Minister Palmerston called it "a Land of barren rocks".

I wonder if the Qing Emperor knew where Hong Kong was when he ordered his officials to give the island to the British in 1842. Such barren islands were in hundreds scattered along the coast of Southeast China.

Most of them as of today are still barren.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Does this guy have any self awareness?

Note to the Aware:
  • Trump Says HK Riots are Internal Matter - Leftists lose their mind. Trump is clueless.
  • Trump Calls out HK massacre at hands of Evil Chinese Communists - Leftists lose their mind. Trump is racist who incites violence.
What's the common denominator here?

TDS is very very strong with some.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
My girl-friend has family in Hong Kong, so I know it well as I've been there many times and have lots of friends from there since I used to live in California. They are really fighting for their democracy that they are used to having, when HK went back to China, things were left pretty much the same, but China has been taking over things little by little from pushing Mandarin to education to elections and now this extradition bill is pushing people over the edge. It's a losing battle though because HK belongs to China, there is no disputing that. I feel bad for the people going through it, but their future kids will grow up where they never knew what HK was like before, it will just seem like another city in China.

I don't think there is anything the US can do to help and I would even say it would do more damage to try and get involved, so while Trump doesn't understand the situation, it's good he is staying out of their politics.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I would've been happy if the Brits didn't behave like thugs and annex Hong Kong over drugs, which killed countless in the decades since. The Brits' action was not victim-less.
The drug trade was not undertaken in Hong Kong. It was conducted in Guangzhou.

Hong Kong was being used as the homes of families of British merchants and as a resting place for the sailors after long journey. In fact, drug use had been banned very early in Hong Kong.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:38 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The drug trade was not undertaken in Hong Kong. It was conducted in Guangzhou.

Hong Kong was being used as the homes of families of British merchants and as a resting place for the sailors after long journey. In fact, drug use had been banned very early in Hong Kong.

Yeah, never mind they also got rich selling opium to the rest of China. Guess where that was shipped through. There's a lot of grudges still being waged here.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Trump is not going to help Hong Kong. Focus is on Congress to pass bill that would help Hong Kong promote democracy.

In fact, my Senator and Congressman have replied that they will cosponsor the bill (there are the Senate and House versions). Because the support is so extensive and bipartisan in Congress, Trump cannot veto.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Trump is not going to help Hong Kong. Focus is on Congress to pass bill that would help Hong Kong promote democracy.

In fact, my Senator and Congressman have replied that they will cosponsor the bill (there are the Senate and House versions). Because the support is so extensive and bipartisan in Congress, Trump cannot veto.

There is NOTHING America can do to help Hong Kong. The US doing anything would just make China angry and even more determined to expedite the merging of their governments. It's sad I agree, but HK is very dependent on China and China owns HK. There is nothing another country can do to stop it and I truly believe any attempt would make China come down twice as hard on HK.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:45 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
The Chinese are going to destroy Hong Kong as it is today. The wealthy have already begun moving their assets and their families out of Hong Kong.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is NOTHING America can do to help Hong Kong. The US doing anything would just make China angry and even more determined to expedite the merging of their governments. It's sad I agree, but HK is very dependent on China and China owns HK. There is nothing another country can do to stop it and I truly believe any attempt would make China come down twice as hard on HK.
Actually China needs Hong Kong more than Hong Kong needs China.

70% of FDI into China is from Hong Kong.

75% of the US$-denominated bonds issued by China's State-owned companies and private companies were based in Hong Kong.

If Hong Kong is of no economic value like Tibet, PLA would have marched in already.

China needs the British system of Hong Kong for trade and finance, but they hate the people there who are educated under the British system.

The worst thing they find out is that the 1.5 million Chinese immigrants who have moved into the City after 1997 cannot assimilate the locals but instead being assimilated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies