U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM

48,512 posts, read 45,695,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Corn is one of the worst for bio fuels, waste of money. Sugarcane is much better.
Explain!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,841,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Are there too many farmers in America?"
no.
competition is good.
what i do not understand is how a farmer views another as friend.
they are competitors, just like the grocery stores and drug stores.
maybe the "friend" part is the government subsidies, just like
the Unions will organize across an industry for more money,
the farmers unite in voting blocks to ensure continuity.
You do not understand farming or the markets.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Women don't get abortions because they don't want a child.

If that were the case, they would simply put them up for adoption after birth.

No, the reason women get abortions is because they don't want to be pregnant.

As for farmers, they can grow any crop they like.

Wrong.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
That's a fair observation. Maybe this is just the last of the agrarian society of the US. Been heading that way for decades.

Or maybe they are growing the wrong crops. Marijuana crops are going to be huge(r) in the future. The farmers would not need to export those crops or worry about Chinese buyers. They could sell it all in the US at a decent price.

Time to evolve or go bankrupt.

Marijuana--Made in America.
Farming and farmers are always evolving. The problem is they have to do it under the thumb of government.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

19,501 posts, read 12,340,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All this talk of farmers being subsidized and farmers losing the farm and too many soybeans and so on, makes me wonder if America just produces too much food.
If other countries don't want to buy from us, maybe we should just cut production to accommodate the countries who want it.
It's a fact. America produces a huge amount of agricultural products. Maybe it's a good idea if we don't produce so much. The idea that China threatens to "not buy soybeans" seems a little strange. So we say, OK. Don't. And then we stop producing so much.
Are there too many farmers in America?
SO let me get this straight. You think it is a bad idea to have a surplus of food in case of shortages?

Do you think, if the need arises for more food, that we can just turn a spigot on and it will appear at your grocery store?

I would bet my bottom dollar, on the other hand, you support subsidies for illegals, do you not?

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

We DO produce too much food. And it's going to get worse as the world's population grows.

And farmers can't do anything to stop it.

But I'm glad lefties on here are continually allowed to post hate speech towards everybody who doesn't live in a city.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

12,379 posts, read 7,557,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I don't eat industrial-grade soy - do you?
To cite a single example, If you eat chicken, eggs, or any other product of poultry production, even tofu, you are consuming a food produced primarily from soybeans and soybean meal.

Thank you for putting your incredible ignorance, arrogance, and self-righteousness in plain sight for all of us to recognize!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; Yesterday at 07:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

8,944 posts, read 4,478,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
It's called insurance. You'll have it too when you turn into an adult and get a car someday.
You're never ever to collect on car insurance, you know that right?

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

13,816 posts, read 8,666,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
SO let me get this straight. You think it is a bad idea to have a surplus of food in case of shortages?

Do you think, if the need arises for more food, that we can just turn a spigot on and it will appear at your grocery store?

I would bet my bottom dollar, on the other hand, you support subsidies for illegals, do you not?
Actually, you do not have anything straight.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

8,944 posts, read 4,478,454 times
If only there was a way back machine ...

The Great Depression Hits Farms and Cities in the 1930s

"The Federal government passed a bill to help the farmers. Surplus was the problem; farmers were producing too much and driving down the price. The government passed the Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA) of 1933 which set limits on the size of the crops and herds farmers could produce. Those farmers that agreed to limit production were paid a subsidy. Most farmers signed up eagerly and soon government checks were flowing into rural mail boxes where the money could help pay bank debts or tax payments."

That is how it came to be that farmers (over productive Americans) are paid, not to farm.

A New Deal

" ... U.S. President Herbert Hoover was slow to give help to farmers, even though he was from Iowa. Hoover stubbornly refused to help unemployed workers in urban areas as well. He vetoed a bill that would have created a federal unemployment agency and opposed a plan to use public money to put people to work building roads and government buildings. In a later interview, Hoover said that he didn't agree with the progressive ideas being proposed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or