U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

16,535 posts, read 16,667,494 times

Advertisements

That 60k "work truck" that has never seen a day or work in its life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

10,847 posts, read 2,794,716 times
I have a sneaky feeling, what happened with houses in 2007-08 is now happening with cars (car loans) today! banks and car manufacturers are KILLING IT right now, they have made it SO easy to buy a new expensive car, one that is way more than anyone needs to spend, of course, people are going to jump at the chance, even if they cannot afford it and stop making payments 6 months later...it takes about 3-4 months for a car to repossessed, so thats alot of free drive time in a car you cannot afford.

Its crazy, the longest term for a car loan years ago was 5 years, today, they can be extended out to 8 and even 10 yrs!! WOW,that is crazy for a car.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

34,743 posts, read 33,794,261 times
Personal responsibility. If you can't afford it don't buy it.

If you can't afford an expensive college, go to one you can afford and work your way through school instead of moaning about your debt from student loans. And finish college in 4 years instead of goofing off and taking 5 to 6 years to get a BA/BS when you go to college full-time.

If you can't afford a new car, buy a used one.

If you can't afford some mansion you want, buy a cheaper house or rent with a group of people just like you, and for cryin' out loud, even though you see these people on TV buying mini-mansions, you might want to question why no one on those shows mention taxes and utility bills that go with those houses.

If you can't afford a fancy social life, find something that costs less to do. You would be surprised to find out how many fun things to do are cheap or free...of course, doing drugs or drinking isn't cheap or free.

You don't need the latest gadget, you just want it/think you're entitled to it.

If you can't find a job in this economy, you aren't looking hard enough. Maybe you need to move to where the jobs are.

Stop having kids out of wedlock. If you can't afford kids without the help of the federal and state government, you can't afford kids, yet. Too bad they didn't teach you that in school.

And stay at home mothers who find themselves widowed or divorced and with zero job skills, you made a bad decision not to work but it was your decision. Own it.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

968 posts, read 213,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks Trump.....

Families go deep into debt to stay in the middle class

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ass/ar-AAFbEHE

The American middle class is falling deeper into debt to maintain a middle-class lifestyle

Cars, college, houses and medical care have become steadily more costly, but incomes have been largely stagnant for two decades, despite a recent uptick. Filling the gap between earning and spending is an explosion of finance into nearly every corner of the consumer economy.

Consumer debt, not counting mortgages, has climbed to $4 trillion—higher than it has ever been even after adjusting for inflation.

Wake up my friend. Trump has not been President for 20 years.
Your blind loyalty to party is showing !

Old Today, 03:39 AM

9,199 posts, read 7,085,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Why??? No job I've ever had required me to have those things, and if one did, they'd be the ones paying for it. Thankfully my employer mind their own business in that regard.
Because we’re all out of carrier pigeons and Thomas Guides.

Old Today, 03:50 AM

21,690 posts, read 11,691,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You created a thread to attack Trump and then wrote THAT?
The thread had potential but because TDS...

Old Today, 04:33 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,724,791 times
I consider myself middle class. I own my own home. I paid off my mortgage in three years. Every bit of extra money I had I paid down the mortgage. We paid off our vehicles. I have zero credit card debt. I don't get a new phone every year. I probably go 4 years with the same phone. I cut the cord with my cable. I am actually 100% debt free. I have one child. He attended the Air Force Academy. I gave him a check from the money I had saved for his college. I went to community college and I never took a loan. I have a financial planner and I invest my money into my retirement. it comes down in many cases to how you want to live your life. I live within my means. If I have the money to buy something than I do. If I don't then I wait until I do. Yes I could own a Mercedes. But what the hell does that prove. So I own a a Mercedes and I have hundreds of dollars in payments monthly. Or I just own my truck that I bought two years used and enjoy driving without payments. If you have to keep up with the Jones's I feel sorry for you. Honestly you should be happy with yourself.

Old Today, 06:46 AM

4,325 posts, read 1,603,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Because we’re all out of carrier pigeons and Thomas Guides.
How about giving me a straight answer rather than sounding like a sarcastic jerk? If a smartphone and Internet are required to perform a job it is up to the employer to provide and pay for them.

Old Today, 07:13 AM

12,076 posts, read 16,831,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How about giving me a straight answer rather than sounding like a sarcastic jerk? If a smartphone and Internet are required to perform a job it is up to the employer to provide and pay for them.
That's a nice fantasy world you live in.

Since I graduated from college, I've been expected to be reachable at home and have the ability to log in remotely. I graduated in the midst of the recession, was making 35K in a high COL area in my first job, and got no help with my smart phone, internet connection, or home computer. Those are basic expectations, the way that years ago someone would be expected to have a landline to be reachable from home.

In the multiple professional jobs since, that's always been an expectation. It was only in my most recent position that work gave me a laptop to keep at home for work purposes, but they do not pay for my home internet or the smart phone that is not "required" but my job would be next to impossible without it.

What do you do for work? This is standard practice with most management-level professional roles.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

19,500 posts, read 12,340,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks Trump.....

Families go deep into debt to stay in the middle class

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ass/ar-AAFbEHE

The American middle class is falling deeper into debt to maintain a middle-class lifestyle

Cars, college, houses and medical care have become steadily more costly, but incomes have been largely stagnant for two decades, despite a recent uptick. Filling the gap between earning and spending is an explosion of finance into nearly every corner of the consumer economy.

Consumer debt, not counting mortgages, has climbed to $4 trillion—higher than it has ever been even after adjusting for inflation.
People who have 1/10th the income I have drive newer cars, go on more exotic vacations, and live in houses about the same size. My wife and I live pretty simple. cheap lifestyles, as we like it that way.

The crap that people buy amazes me.

When I was a kid, my parents lived within their means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or