U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

22,672 posts, read 11,677,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I would not even consider hiring someone who didnít have a smartphone and internet access. Those things are not luxuries, theyíre essential to functionality in todayís world. Much like pants, and a toothbrush.
No, not for many positions. We have to prohibit production employees from bringing their phones on property due to too much abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

21,184 posts, read 10,204,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not just a bunch of people, it is a snap-shot of the American middle class.
If you're saying that many in the middle class is struggling because they're overspending, I agree. But your initial premise wasn't that - it was that because of Trump, people were struggling to remain in the middle class.

I've posted previously that the middle class is disappearing, but the article you used to support the notion that people were struggling has to do with fiscal irresponsibility. In no way does it indict Trump.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

392 posts, read 120,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Agree. Dont buy chit you dont need. Most spend, spend, spend. Then, have to build a garage to store it in. Run your house like a business. More coming in than going out.
lol, the garage thing got me. Its amazing how many people i know brought homes with big beautiful garages and have to keep their cars outside because of all the junk they "store" in there. If you haven't been using something for half a decade, get rid of it, just please. It's like the people at 40 who keep the cloths from high school or college that they loved because if they just lose a little weight they can wear again.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

52,206 posts, read 42,000,709 times
Quote:
Stock market has made zero gains in 20 months. Yes, he gets credit for it.
That was deliciously, Rush Limbaughy.

I can only assume that you are mocking the right wingers by employing their same shady analytics against them. Well done.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

998 posts, read 217,860 times
Quote:
It is not just a bunch of people, it is a snap-shot of the American middle class.
No it isn't. That couple in the article have 8 CC's with $50K in debt.
The average CC debt is $8K.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

4,451 posts, read 913,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Number 2 and number 3 especially.
Not only did I buy a small house in a quiet neighborhood, I never moved from there even after the family got bigger and our incomes went up. Payed off the mortgage and stayed put.

Regarding cars, another good point. I don't like to drive new cars that require collision insurance for one thing, and depreciate $2000 the minute you drive them off the lot. Don't like a car payment either.
Hold it, hold it, hold it.

We who only buy used NEED the "deep up with the Joneses" types to feed into our choice of vehicles. I don't like payments, and concur about the collision thing. Let the wannabes keep piling up debt, it allows those of us who are more frugal to benefit in the long run.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

4,451 posts, read 913,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Cars, college, houses" etc., DO'T go into debt for things you CAN'T afford!
I agree with two out of three.

The problem is how can a low-income or even lower middle class person afford college without going into debt, especially since that is a clear step up to a higher income in life.

But I agree. Buy cars for cash, and have a good down payment for a house. Although in some parts of the USA, monthly payments are significantly less than rent on a mortgage, even with a minimum down. I can think of a number of cities in Florida where that is the case. Sensible mortgage debt makes... well.. sense. Stupid mortgage debt? You deserve to suffer.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

35,922 posts, read 10,659,680 times
People have been living beyond their means long before Trump became president.

I don't have much sympathy for financial fakers.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

6,924 posts, read 3,447,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
People have been living beyond their means long before Trump became president.

I don't have much sympathy for financial fakers.
And you shouldn't. They're the entire reason the economy is even growing. You think we'd be at 2% GDP growth of most Americans were financially responsible? You think the stock market would be at 8-10% yoy growth if Apple and Amazon and Target weren't flipping their inventory?

It's two paths... Either the economy grows from spending or the economy craters bc of savings. America can't have both.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

2,581 posts, read 2,945,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The amount of money that people spend on cars is just stupid.
Agreed. In all of the 3 cases they still owned tons of debt on student loans. If any of them were wise about paying down their student loan debts, they would have bought a CHEAP car.

That's part of the problem 2 of those couples where it was mentioned what they owe their car choices should have been limited to something used, older and reliable. They should have bought a beater, something that would cost less than 6 or 7K tops.

Say a 2007 Toyota Camry. Take out a loan for 6K instead of buying a newer car for 35K (which is the AVERAGE price for a new car).

The 3rd couple in Arizona took out 48K in car loans in the same year, which was bad timing considering their family income was dropping. That's just a poor choice on their part and we can say the same about the other 2 couples profiled. More than 1 poor choice with money. At least the Seattle couple has 30K saved for a down payment on a house. That's about the only good part in this quick glimpse of a financial picture.

I'm sure some other people out there in their age bracket and income range have fared much better with their money. It's a series of many choices. Their credit card debt is definitely at the ridiculous level.

Last edited by maus; Yesterday at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or