U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

46,251 posts, read 34,246,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

Using a president (any president) because you can't manage money is sheer insanity.

I do not attribute or blame the good, bad and ugly in my life on any POTUS or political party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

2,604 posts, read 4,351,643 times
Above 4... and yep, I'll agree. However the diesel 1/2 ton pick-me-up-trucks (sailboat fuel haulers)) are getting 30> MPG hghy average. It's Ford #1 product. Gasoline engines and diesels are easy conversions to NG or Propane respectively.

Cost vs usage.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

896 posts, read 1,123,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
What I found most interesting in the article was the differential in growth between costs and incomes. All adjusted for inflation, from 1998-2017, education costs up 311%, housing 290%, health care 51%, income 14%. Doesn't anyone else see a problem with that?

I agree, I've had a problem with that for some time. Seems like we've had decades of raising prices instead of accommodating our population growth, how else do you explain it? Colleges got too greedy, less people go to become doctors = less doctors=rising healthcare costs. Then add the free services to the non-insured and illegals that have to be recovered by over-billing the insured and no wonder it's gone up so much.
I worked my way up from a shop worker to management the hard way, as I couldn't afford college. I have a small home well beneath my means so I have beat 2 of the 3 big "tripplings". Healthcare remains as my largest financial risk...premiums up anywhere from 5-23% each year for the last decade, with out of pocket maximums and deductions having risen to more than my annual grocery budget.
I don't see it as being Trumps fault though, he's trying to make changes to help right our ship after decades of ignorance under BOTH parties before it's too late.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

18,399 posts, read 9,059,727 times
After eight years of the utter stagnation of the Obama years, we are finally seeing UPWARD pressure on wages. If people weren't so enamored with a lot of luxury items they don't need, they wouldn't be in debt.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

46,251 posts, read 34,246,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I would consider every single person that I know to be bad with money. Libs, Repubs, gay, straight, men, women, college degree, no degree, 100k/yr job, 25k/yr job, doesn’t matter. It’s really quite amazing.

We have a real problem in this county with people not willing to live below their means. The average person is an idiot.
The US people have NEVER been particularly good savers.

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

13,555 posts, read 6,457,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks Trump.....

Families go deep into debt to stay in the middle class

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ass/ar-AAFbEHE

The American middle class is falling deeper into debt to maintain a middle-class lifestyle

Cars, college, houses and medical care have become steadily more costly, but incomes have been largely stagnant for two decades, despite a recent uptick. Filling the gap between earning and spending is an explosion of finance into nearly every corner of the consumer economy.

Consumer debt, not counting mortgages, has climbed to $4 trillion—higher than it has ever been even after adjusting for inflation.
Are you serious? They have this problem under Obama. In fact, student debt is at a all time high thanks to cheap loans. Under Trump there are jobs. Do something about your life, don’t complain forever.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

1,365 posts, read 480,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Exactly! My wife is a dental hygienist and all of her co workers tease her about the 2006 Scion that she drives. My wife asked the young lady who was teasing her, "oh how much do you guys pay for your car payments each month?" Response was "me and my husband both have new cars and we pay $1300 per month."

There are little financial tricks that smart people learn:

1. Max out your 401K
2. Buy the smallest house in a really nice neighborhood for your first home
3. Don't buy depreciating assets like new cars
4. Use credit cards for emergencies only.

These are just a few tricks that help folks get ahead....
This ^.

The rest is just noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

456 posts, read 179,968 times
Yeah, I am no Trump supporter but will call B.S. on this one. Like other posters have mentioned Live Below Your Means (LBYM) and stop keeping up with the Joneses.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

2,604 posts, read 4,351,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US people have NEVER been particularly good savers.
We have to ask why? We usta be, but then employers and unions used lucrative pensions as a means to attract quality employees. nothing wrong with that. However as most of us know that came back to bit many companies in the donkey.

So the public sector remains as one of the only places where saving is less important.

As the market becomes more competitive for employees, we may see a change. The company I retired from went fromm ESOP and pension to 401K and cash balance pensions (great for me) then no pension and less 401K contributions. However they have "upped" their game. Increased 401 matching, stock buying plan again and now they are offering pensions to non hourly employees.

The economic world is like the tide...

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

52,196 posts, read 41,991,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It will probably dawn to you if you read the whole sentence and think about it.

"Cars, college, houses and medical care have become steadily more costly, but incomes have been largely stagnant for two decades"

Same income coupled with higher cost of living (boosted by the trade wars).

Get it now?
So it's a 20 year problem that's Trumps fault despite a recent uptick in wages.

No, sorry I'm still not getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or