Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 07:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Cars, college, houses" etc., DO'T go into debt for things you CAN'T afford!
I guess you can just live under a bridge until you save enough to buy a house with cash.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess you can just live under a bridge until you save enough to buy a house with cash.
"Stop trying to have the normal lives we've had.."

Old 08-03-2019, 09:48 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yet Trump gets no credit for the historically low unemployment, even in the Black community. Also, the low inflation, low gasoline and energy prices, and good stock and housing markets. No, he does not control these issues, but his policies can and do influence them.
Gas prices are sneaking back up again to almost $3.00/gallon in some parts of my state. I paid $2.97 today in Ray Brook, NY for gas.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:07 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How about giving me a straight answer rather than sounding like a sarcastic jerk? If a smartphone and Internet are required to perform a job it is up to the employer to provide and pay for them.
Not anymore. Given that there aren’t any pay phones and few households have a landline, just simply getting in touch with a team member requires a cell phone. If they’re meeting a client and are lost or running late, how do they reach said client to let them know? Shared online calendars, task lists, project management, navigation tools, texts, photo sharing, and access to manuals, troubleshooting forums, and a flashlight. Did I mention I can get hold of them? Anyone’s standard phone plan and basic smartphone gives access to all these tools, and more of course, and they aren’t luxuries. You won’t even get a job delivering pizza without them.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:26 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The middle class has been shrinking for some time so you can't hang this on Trump.

In addition, I don't know anyone who is unemployed, but knew some who couldn't find a job for years under Obama. If anything, our economy is more robust under Trump.

And as Volobjectitarian pointed out, some of this is on stupid consumers who aren't very smart about their finances.

My two Millennials wouldn't live the way these people in the article are living.

Trump had nothing to do with it. The only reason I got a job at all was because they were desperate and I was desperate. Also I got out of a situation that was probably sending me to the always reject pile. It still took a bit anyway. I didn't get it til August 2017.
I'm underemployed so the job is not good for someone who preaches so hard about making things better. "I'm going to bring back jobs" The implied part is they'll be crappy unless you have a marketable talent.
If the economy is great, it's too great because what happens is it raises prices of everything and the less well off people continue to stay that way due to the rising costs. It only helps Wall Street when the economy is too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I would not even consider hiring someone who didn’t have a smartphone and internet access. Those things are not luxuries, they’re essential to functionality in today’s world. Much like pants, and a toothbrush.
I often think about unplugging it though because all it does is depress me anymore. I make extra money online but I don't know how much profit I'm really getting. I doubt I make more than 100 a month.
Trying to find more lucrative ways to make money is tedious because I've scoured the whole internet seems like. I've tried looking for new jobs and they're all the same. Requirements: Bachelor's or better degree, ____ years of relevant work history, 9 dollars an hour, driver's license....
I don't doubt the last thing is really hindering me but I don't know how I'll ever get mine. Even my therapist is like well maybe it's better you don't drive. But I'm worthless if I don't have my license so I don't know what the heck to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Personal responsibility. If you can't afford it don't buy it.

If you can't afford an expensive college, go to one you can afford and work your way through school instead of moaning about your debt from student loans. And finish college in 4 years instead of goofing off and taking 5 to 6 years to get a BA/BS when you go to college full-time.

If you can't afford a new car, buy a used one.

If you can't afford some mansion you want, buy a cheaper house or rent with a group of people just like you, and for cryin' out loud, even though you see these people on TV buying mini-mansions, you might want to question why no one on those shows mention taxes and utility bills that go with those houses.

If you can't afford a fancy social life, find something that costs less to do. You would be surprised to find out how many fun things to do are cheap or free...of course, doing drugs or drinking isn't cheap or free.

You don't need the latest gadget, you just want it/think you're entitled to it.

If you can't find a job in this economy, you aren't looking hard enough. Maybe you need to move to where the jobs are.

Stop having kids out of wedlock. If you can't afford kids without the help of the federal and state government, you can't afford kids, yet. Too bad they didn't teach you that in school.

And stay at home mothers who find themselves widowed or divorced and with zero job skills, you made a bad decision not to work but it was your decision. Own it.

I have a job but I need a better one. I'm not guilty of any of those things. I'm already trying to leave my state. I not only want to move now I need to for a few reasons. Saving up to move is too difficult though I'm trying and this was before they raised our rent requirement (thanks Trump!!!!) I may have to go into debt to go which I hate the idea but I know my health is important so the sooner I can leave to improve my health the better. I know that some jobs will pay for your moving expenses but I doubt I'm good enough. They'd have to be desperate to want me (how I got my current job and now it seems they don't need me as bad anymore on some days because they got new people..not that I want to be more needed again there but you know)
I'm an introverted loner so renting with a group of people is a terrible idea. I need my privacy. I do live with my mom though it's kinda a double edged sword because I can't get her to get rid of the cable but I do need that support being neurodivergent. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to move out because the electricity is too much with the crappy equipment (working on it..but it's been a difficult battle) but you need money saved up first.
My biggest expense this year was my teeth and I'm still mad about that because I could have got help but my insurance screwed it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
lol, the garage thing got me. Its amazing how many people i know brought homes with big beautiful garages and have to keep their cars outside because of all the junk they "store" in there. If you haven't been using something for half a decade, get rid of it, just please. It's like the people at 40 who keep the cloths from high school or college that they loved because if they just lose a little weight they can wear again.

I do have some junk but throwing it away is throwing away money. At the same time I got discouraged from the last time I tried to put it for sale. I think the bulk of it is books.

I even tried to double earn. There was this app I used that would give you points for using other apps one of them was Let Go (which was what I used) but they made the app unusable. That was part of the reason I got discouraged because if I hadn't sold something at least I'd still be making money eventually for trying.
I guess if I'm not selling it it is wasting space but I know when I throw it away someone might find it and resell it. Just the idea that they could makes me mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Agreed. In all of the 3 cases they still owned tons of debt on student loans. If any of them were wise about paying down their student loan debts, they would have bought a CHEAP car.
I've given up on paying mine. About 30k is a whopper. I hate being in debt and I know it may only get bigger (I put it in deferrment though) but at this point I'm just waiting for a new president/Congress to forgive my loan. Some candidates are talking about it already so why pay it off if it's too difficult and someone may do that in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Not anymore. Given that there aren’t any pay phones and few households have a landline, just simply getting in touch with a team member requires a cell phone. If they’re meeting a client and are lost or running late, how do they reach said client to let them know? Shared online calendars, task lists, project management, navigation tools, texts, photo sharing, and access to manuals, troubleshooting forums, and a flashlight. Did I mention I can get hold of them? Anyone’s standard phone plan and basic smartphone gives access to all these tools, and more of course, and they aren’t luxuries. You won’t even get a job delivering pizza without them.
We got rid of ours a year or so ago. It only saved 5 dollars a month but it wasn't worth it when 90 percent of calls are scam (still get spam on the cells but at least that got rid of some spam. I don't even like to talk on the phone at all so I only do if I have to and I never go over my minutes. I am more into texting so it's a lot better to have a cell than a landline in my case.

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-04-2019 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 07:31 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:

Sure, go by that $600k house while only working at McDonald's....you can afford it, really....

Amazing how the simplicity escapes you.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Thanks Trump.....

Families go deep into debt to stay in the middle class

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ass/ar-AAFbEHE

The American middle class is falling deeper into debt to maintain a middle-class lifestyle

Cars, college, houses and medical care have become steadily more costly, but incomes have been largely stagnant for two decades, despite a recent uptick. Filling the gap between earning and spending is an explosion of finance into nearly every corner of the consumer economy.

Consumer debt, not counting mortgages, has climbed to $4 trillion—higher than it has ever been even after adjusting for inflation.
Here’s a novel idea... DON’T SPEND MORE THAN YOU MAKE. Common sense right???

But hey if it makes you feel better to blame your debt on Trump go ahead.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Maybe they are just trying to maintain the same standard of living as before, but many won't have any other choice than to downgrade, and same goes for the Joneses.
Don’t have a choice or don’t want to? My husband and I have been through several lay offs but we cut our budget severely to get through it. Something tells me that many won’t make those hard choices but just simply continue to spend on a reduce budget.

Again, not my problem and certainly not Trump’s.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Yes I know math and thinking about things in new ways are hard. Let me know what's confusing and I'll walk you through it like you're learning multiplication tables.
Nope your post has no substance...blaming everyone/everything else with zero accountability. Maybe that’s something your brain can’t think about. OMG some of these issues maybe my fault. If you don’t get it let me know.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:09 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Nope your post has no substance...blaming everyone/everything else with zero accountability. Maybe that’s something your brain can’t think about. OMG some of these issues maybe my fault. If you don’t get it let me know.
So you're in favor of the US economy crashing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies