U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 04:19 PM

16,029 posts, read 8,917,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I disagree. Obama got them tons of retraining programs but most turned them down. What other parts of the country have been offered such spoon-fed education opportunities at the cost of the taxpayer?

"Despite broad consensus about coalís bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trumpís proposed 2018 budget."

Awaiting Trump's coal comeback, miners reject retraining
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1D14G0
I don't understand why they didn't. They were making good money but coal has been on the way out for some time now. They didn't want to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 04:30 PM

33,549 posts, read 14,139,314 times
Trump appears to have lost his tongue on this, will he be doing a rally in Kentucky or WV this summer.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM

925 posts, read 256,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I grew up in West Virginia. Both of my grandfathers were coal miners at one time. Many of those people are not qualified to do anything else regardless of the "training". You can't force a factory to open if the infrastructure is not there to support it. Many of the little towns have tried to re-invent themselves with tourism, but a small town can only support so many gift shops.
Yeah, things change and it can be painful, no doubt. It's similar for all the jobs that will be lost to automation. Things are changing very fast. I think the best thing people can do in this world is develop a wide and varied set of skills. This is no longer a world where you can safely put all your eggs in one basket.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 2,958,083 times
I love liberals. they'll quickly tell you that "coal is dying" and that these people need to find a new skill and move on. however, they'll tell you up and down how great and important the post office and public libraries are.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 4,350,159 times
Quote:
They turned down federally funded retraining programs for Trump promises. They deserve what they get.
Spoken like a true leftist.

Most would gladly give generational welfare recipients and illegal aliens better consideration than our own hardworking citizens (that are conservative minded of course).

It is very easy to pontificate from an ivory tower (or mommies basement while she make a PB&J sandwich) that hard working people who only know one industry, and would be easily retrained.
My Dad who worked all his life and retired after 36 years doing just one job would have had a tough time retraining for some other type of work at his age. The doomsayers of coal are not being honest, as coal is needed in many 3rd world countries and the developing world. We use plenty of it here in America as well.
It is just that environmentalists who hate coals are intentionally looking to destroy that industry in our country.

So while Trump is trying to help them, many on the left are trying to eliminate it in America.
Of course that will not stop other countries from using it, and they will either mine it themselves or buy it from other nations that will.
But at least the leftists will feel good about destroying an industry that will be going on well beyond our lifetimes.

`

Old 08-02-2019, 04:41 PM

33,549 posts, read 14,139,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
One of the area's I disagree with Trump and republicans in general is dirty energy. Coal is dirty and is on it's way out no matter which party is in power. HRC wanted to put an end to all of it, and at best under Trump it's still going to be phased out. China doesn't care, it's cheap energy to them and they'll buy it, but WV is a long ways from west coast ports to send the coal overseas so they are going to be the first to fold up as demand for it drops.
I know here in WA there was federally funded programs that paid to retrain the loggers when logging folded up....some couldn't grasp new trades while others went to Boeing and tot eh Refineries, so it really depends on the individual.
I would think with tariff's potentially breathing life into manufacturing and the low labor rates in WV, that many of them could transfer into manufacturing jobs of some sort.

Poor choice of words by Clinton, she didn't really want to put coal miners out of work but clean air and climate change come first. She at least had a plan to address the closures, Trump has none and here we are two years with more miners out of work with no solution. Only one phrase was remembered out of that speech. They really need jobs programs and retraining, maybe they could restore some of these areas destroyed by mining and promote more tourism.

Clinton March 2016

Quote:

Instead of dividing people the way Donald Trump does, letís reunite around politics that will bring jobs and opportunities to all these under-served poor communities. So, for example, Iím the only candidate who has a policy about how to bring economic opportunity using clean renewable energy as the key into coal country. Because weíre going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business, right, Tim? [Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) was in the audience.]
And weíre going to make it clear that we donít want to forget those people. Those people labored in those mines for generations, losing their health, often losing their lives to turn on our lights and power our factories. Now weíve got to move away from coal and all the other fossil fuels, but I donít want to move away from the people who did the best they could to produce energy that we relied on.
If all you knew about Hillary Clinton was these two paragraphs, there might be some legitimate doubt about what she meant in the offending sentence.
But Clinton already had a record on energy policy and coal communities. Putting together a detailed proposal for a $30 billion aid package to ailing coal communities was one of the very first moves her campaign made on policy.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:48 PM

18,348 posts, read 11,258,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Spoken like a true leftist.

Most would gladly give generational welfare recipients and illegal aliens better consideration than our own hardworking citizens (that are conservative minded of course).

It is very easy to pontificate from an ivory tower (or mommies basement while she make a PB&J sandwich) that hard working people who only know one industry, and would be easily retrained.
My Dad who worked all his life and retired after 36 years doing just one job would have had a tough time retraining for some other type of work at his age. The doomsayers of coal are not being honest, as coal is needed in many 3rd world countries and the developing world. We use plenty of it here in America as well.
It is just that environmentalists who hate coals are intentionally looking to destroy that industry in our country.

So while Trump is trying to help them, many on the left are trying to eliminate it in America.
Of course that will not stop other countries from using it, and they will either mine it themselves or buy it from other nations that will.
But at least the leftists will feel good about destroying an industry that will be going on well beyond our lifetimes.
The coal companies are filing bankruptcy, three or four just this month. And this is AFTER Trump had the EPA overturn every known environmental protection regulation there is. Lots of pollution but still the coal companies are filing for bankruptcy in droves. What's more, it takes fewer and fewer men to mine coal, so the jobs just aren't there anymore. Get it?

We've seen plenty of industries come and go. Remember baggage handlers? They went the way of the dodo bird when suitcases came with wheels. Remember travel agents? They too were pretty much gone when travel sites like Expedia came along. Guess what kind of training was offered to those victims of new technology? Nothing. Retail is shrinking at an alarming rate and those people aren't going to get free training either. But coal miners got insane amounts of federally funded retraining programs courtesy of Obama and they refused, saying Trump told them coal was coming back.

If such programs had been offered to travel agents and baggage handlers and they refused, I would tell them the same thing; if they refuse to help themselves after the opportunities are spoon fed to them, they need to accept the unfortunate result.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,830,763 times
Quote:
They turned down federally funded retraining programs for Trump promises. They deserve what they get.

Yeah......

They'd be way better off if Hillary had won!

Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 PM

39,727 posts, read 41,086,540 times
Quote:
But coal miners got insane amounts of federally funded retraining programs courtesy of Obama and they refused, saying Trump told them coal was coming back.

Most coal miners are employed in skilled positions. Mechanics, welders, machine operators etc. They'll be able to find similar jobs but not for same salary or where they live.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:56 PM

39,727 posts, read 41,086,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Poor choice of words by Clinton, she didn't really want to put coal miners out of work but clean air and climate change come first. She at least had a plan to address the closures, Trump has none and here we are two years with more miners out of work with no solution. Only one phrase was remembered out of that speech. They really need jobs programs and retraining, maybe they could restore some of these areas destroyed by mining and promote more tourism.

There isn't a whole lot of jobs that have returned but they aren't losing them at an enormous rate like they were under Obama or would have under Clinton. Obama had 8 years to help destroy those jobs, it's not something that can be fixed overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies