Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Coal miners laid off & protesting back pay are calling for Trump to show his face. (their words not mine).

What do these guys do? Where do they go? And it seems that the state Labor folks may have not demanded the payroll bond to protect the wages of these guys.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...in/1879761001/

Coal is in trouble. it just is. There needs to be a different strategy for these folks. I don't know what it is right now but it isn't in coal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 01:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Coal miners laid off & protesting back pay are calling for Trump to show his face.

What do these guys do? Where do they go? And it seems that the state Labor folks may have not demanded the payroll bond to protect the wages of these guys.

Coal is in trouble. it just is. There needs to be a different strategy for these folks. I don't know what it is right now but it isn't in coal.
They turned down federally funded retraining programs for Trump promises. They deserve what they get.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
They turned down federally funded retraining programs for Trump promises. They deserve what they get.
No -- I will not wish them hardship. Come on -- we have to stop that kind of thinking.

Trump did make them promises and Clinton didn't.

They went with the promises.

Ironically, isn't one of Ivanka Trump's big pet projects retraining. Ugh -- why didn't they sell that to these guys.

I know lots of folks love to hate on CNN but Anthony Bourdain's show on West Virginia was worth seeing.

In this tribal politics culture we get to this us vs. them and forget 'them' are people, Americans.

If we don't want Trump and gang to dismiss Baltimore folks because they vote Democrat, then we shouldn't dismiss folks struggling in coal country.

I don't know if the President can do anything here -- was there a crime if the local state officials didn't get the bond they were suppose to - -can the mining company be forced to pay up.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
No -- I will not wish them hardship. Come on -- we have to stop that kind of thinking.

Ironically, isn't one of Ivanka Trump's big pet projects retraining. Ugh -- why didn't they sell that to these guys.

I know lots of folks love to hate on CNN but Anthony Bourdain's show on West Virginia was worth seeing.

In this tribal politics culture we get to this us vs. them and forget 'them' are people, Americans.

If we don't want Trump and gang to dismiss Baltimore folks because they vote Democrat, then we shouldn't dismiss folks struggling in coal country.

I don't know if the President can do anything here -- was there a crime if the local state officials didn't get the bond they were suppose to - -can the mining company be forced to pay up.
Clinton outlined a program to invest billions in coal mining areas to retrain workers, clean up the mess, and entice 21st century business to the area. They decided Trump had the best plan I guess. Elections have consequences.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Clinton outlined a program to invest billions in coal mining areas to retrain workers, clean up the mess, and entice 21st century business to the area. They decided Trump had the best plan I guess. Elections have consequences.
YES -- but they gambled and went with Trump. Not a good move. ESpecially given the trend for coal use around the world (not just here).

But okay -- they screwed up -- I still won't wish them hardship.

Baltimore residents continue to vote in officials who are incompetent for whatever reasons, including promises.

They don't deserve to be dismissed either.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:48 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
Things change. Coal is dying one way or another. Time for these people to move on to something new.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:50 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Blast from the past. I don't think they "deserve what they get". They were worried about their families and lied to. They put faith in the wrong things is all. If you watch the video it gives some background onto some of the thinking that went into that decision.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._clinton_.html

Old 08-02-2019, 01:53 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
YES -- but they gambled and went with Trump. Not a good move. ESpecially given the trend for coal use around the world (not just here).

But okay -- they screwed up -- I still won't wish them hardship.

Baltimore residents continue to vote in officials who are incompetent for whatever reasons, including promises.

They don't deserve to be dismissed either.
You have a point, but we both know the GOP is going to do squat for them and they will be voting for the GOP for a long time to come. Baltimore too with respect to Dems. Nobody really gives a damn about the "little man" as soon as the polls close.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:

I disagree. Obama got them tons of retraining programs but most turned them down. What other parts of the country have been offered such spoon-fed education opportunities at the cost of the taxpayer?

"Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget."

Awaiting Trump's coal comeback, miners reject retraining
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1D14G0

Old 08-02-2019, 01:54 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Coal miners laid off & protesting back pay are calling for Trump to show his face. (their words not mine).

This is one of the reasons I did not vote for Trump. I knew coal was a dead end.

Overall, HRC was still a far worse choice for the country. Trump won partly because HRC was just so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies