Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:49 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. This is about a mismanaged mine that went bankrupt.

Fascinating how we now have the 3rd topic created where it's claimed that Trump broke his promises on coal. This because some MSM hack said it.

Big fail by the OP.

But hey, Democrats should be happy. They told the coal miners they wanted them ALL to lose their jobs.

You don't think it accurate to say these people are losing faith in Trump's promises?

Who said they wanted the coal miners to lose their jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 02:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. This is about a mismanaged mine that went bankrupt.

Fascinating how we now have the 3rd topic created where it's claimed that Trump broke his promises on coal. This because some MSM hack said it.

Big fail by the OP.

But hey, Democrats should be happy. They told the coal miners they wanted them ALL to lose their jobs.
Most definitely.

it is about a mismanaged mine.

Most definitely I did not say it was Trump's fault.

You failed to see how discussions can meander.

All I pointed out -- these miners want to see Trump.

It's in the article -- I didn't say it.

Again you filled in a narrative that wasn't there with the original post.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Most definitely.

it is about a mismanaged mine.

Most definitely I did not say it was Trump's fault.

You failed to see how discussions can meander.

All I pointed out -- these miners want to see Trump.

It's in the article -- I didn't say it.

Again you filled in a narrative that wasn't there with the original post.
I thought he was referring to this

Quote:
But Blackjewel’s collapse left more than a quarter of Harlan County’s miners jobless. Some say they have nearly given up on President Donald Trump’s long-promised coal revival.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:59 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Things change. Coal is dying one way or another. Time for these people to move on to something new.
I grew up in West Virginia. Both of my grandfathers were coal miners at one time. Many of those people are not qualified to do anything else regardless of the "training". You can't force a factory to open if the infrastructure is not there to support it. Many of the little towns have tried to re-invent themselves with tourism, but a small town can only support so many gift shops.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:01 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Coal miners laid off & protesting back pay are calling for Trump to show his face. (their words not mine).

What do these guys do? Where do they go? And it seems that the state Labor folks may have not demanded the payroll bond to protect the wages of these guys.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...in/1879761001/

Coal is in trouble. it just is. There needs to be a different strategy for these folks. I don't know what it is right now but it isn't in coal.
I saw an interview this morning of these miners n KY. The company had withheld unemployment and other taxes, but never paid it in. Unconscionable.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I grew up in West Virginia. Both of my grandfathers were coal miners at one time. Many of those people are not qualified to do anything else regardless of the "training". You can't force a factory to open if the infrastructure is not there to support it. Many of the little towns have tried to re-invent themselves with tourism, but a small town can only support so many gift shops.
The interview with Copely back in 2016 said they believed God favored them and that coal was put there for them. Is that part of the country usually that religious?

Old 08-02-2019, 03:05 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Said so at the time, and am doing so again....

Coal as been in decline post WWII soon as the railroads and ships moved from that fuel to diesel, bunker fuel then nuclear (for military ships/subs). Then came the massive switch for heating from coal to natural gas, electric, or oil. The Clean Air Act didn't help matters either.

Smart people then and since knew coal was dying and got out, even if it meant moving themselves and family elsewhere to find work.

Pretty much only major uses for (steam) coal for past several decades was power generation and export. One is slowly declining, while the other is shrinking not nearly so fast, but never the less....

It just does not make sense for most areas of this country to burn coal for electric generation with a country wallowing in natural gas. Those who build/run power plants know this, and since they are in things for long haul when it comes time to build new they're going with natural gas.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:15 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hopefully Trump does go and address their concerns and has a plan for their future.
I think he should hold his next rally in coal country. Do you think he has the nerve?

Old 08-02-2019, 03:25 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
One of the area's I disagree with Trump and republicans in general is dirty energy. Coal is dirty and is on it's way out no matter which party is in power. HRC wanted to put an end to all of it, and at best under Trump it's still going to be phased out. China doesn't care, it's cheap energy to them and they'll buy it, but WV is a long ways from west coast ports to send the coal overseas so they are going to be the first to fold up as demand for it drops.
I know here in WA there was federally funded programs that paid to retrain the loggers when logging folded up....some couldn't grasp new trades while others went to Boeing and tot eh Refineries, so it really depends on the individual.
I would think with tariff's potentially breathing life into manufacturing and the low labor rates in WV, that many of them could transfer into manufacturing jobs of some sort.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:14 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
There's a big future in installing solar panels.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1QV0GI

Zero risk of black lung disease. Some travel may be required.

Now if 10% of that $350 billion in subsidies given to the coal, oil, and gas industry were added to the just $100 billion for renewables, the business would really take off.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rgy-transition
Remember Solyndra?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies