Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 PM

763 posts, read 379,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wait. Coal Production is Up. Coal Employment is Up.

It destroys the narrative of this topic.
I can definitely see it in my part of WV. The trains are hauling more coal, and there is a new mine set to open sometime in 2021.

There should be no debate that coal is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:26 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I can definitely see it in my part of WV. The trains are hauling more coal, and there is a new mine set to open sometime in 2021.

Except the U.S>. Government which is trying to promote the industry. Down across the board.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/coal.php

Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 PM

763 posts, read 379,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Except the U.S>. Government which is trying to promote the industry. Down across the board.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/coal.php
Maybe it is down elsewhere, but in my area it is up. I think the long term outlook is grim, but for now things are better than they were.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Maybe it is down elsewhere, but in my area it is up. I think the long term outlook is grim, but for now things are better than they were.
If long term is grim then the government is making a bad investment trying to keep it alive. Would you invest in coal?

Old 08-02-2019, 08:34 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
YES -- but they gambled and went with Trump. Not a good move. ESpecially given the trend for coal use around the world (not just here).

But okay -- they screwed up -- I still won't wish them hardship.

Baltimore residents continue to vote in officials who are incompetent for whatever reasons, including promises.

They don't deserve to be dismissed either.
It doesn't matter if I or you wish them hardship or not. They decided to turn down training programs and voted for someone who promised to continue giving them black lung disease. They will reap what their short-sightedness give them.

I graduated from college in physics. My dream job was doing research while I worked on my phd. This was back when the economy tanked right before I graduated and so almost over night my degree became unemployable. I adapted to survive by working in other industries. Over the years, I've been a programmer, police officer, engineer, and now a real estates investor.

That's the nature of life. Adapt and survive. Or continue to cling to "past glories" and die.

Trump will no doubt promise them again to bring back coal and those idiots will no doubt again vote for Trumpelthinskin. Clinton was going to dedicate billions in retraining programs for these coal minors to perform other jobs. But they decided to stick with black lungs. What idiots.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Spoken like a true leftist.

Most would gladly give generational welfare recipients and illegal aliens better consideration than our own hardworking citizens (that are conservative minded of course).

It is very easy to pontificate from an ivory tower (or mommies basement while she make a PB&J sandwich) that hard working people who only know one industry, and would be easily retrained.
My Dad who worked all his life and retired after 36 years doing just one job would have had a tough time retraining for some other type of work at his age. The doomsayers of coal are not being honest, as coal is needed in many 3rd world countries and the developing world. We use plenty of it here in America as well.
It is just that environmentalists who hate coals are intentionally looking to destroy that industry in our country.

So while Trump is trying to help them, many on the left are trying to eliminate it in America.
Of course that will not stop other countries from using it, and they will either mine it themselves or buy it from other nations that will.
But at least the leftists will feel good about destroying an industry that will be going on well beyond our lifetimes.

`
Yes we do want to destroy it because coal fouls up our environment terribly. One whole small village in Southern Ohio had to be torn down and bought out because of the pollution from the big Coal Fired Power Plant there. (Look up Cheshire, OH)...many streams near coal mines are poisoned. Mountaintop mining completely destroys the environment. Yes, this industry needs to go away. And these people need to be trained for other possible careers.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:

Coal is down despite trump’s bailout of the industry that can’t compete against natural gas and renewables.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

Coal production for the week of July 27th is down 6.3% from last year
They are forecasting down some 7 per cent for 2019

There hasn't been an increase.

Numbers I cite are from coal/energy sites not MSM.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

Right= and no debate that US use of coal for electric is down MASSIVELY each year.

And no debate that the little bit of coal being mined is, today, often by stripping and mountaintop removal.

And no debate that fewer human beings per ton are involved.

And no debate that "miners" don't go down into mines these days and break their backs.

And no debate that much of the sm. amount of coal being mined is controlled by Chinese brokers.

There should be no debate about a lot of things!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
The DNC has been doing its best to end coal, mainly through regulations that are closing down coal power plants.

New coal power plants are not picked up at the local Home Depot, and companies are very reluctant to invest in them since it wouldn't only take one election to put those plants out of business.

Coal is down because of the DNC.

Now, you can argue whether it's good or bad that coal is dying, but the fact is it's dying due to the Democrats and not Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies