Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Obama-like positions or AOC-like positions?
Obama / Moderates 33 54.10%
AOC / Progressives 16 26.23%
I'm a Republican that just wants to vote 12 19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times

Advertisements

Obama was center/left. But more than that he was a pragmatist. And he warned of the left end of the Democratic party forming a circular firing squad. Now we're seeing it. Biden will be wise to emphasize his 8 years as Obama's wingman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:34 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What's the point of electing moderate Democrats if all they do is perpetuate the status quo? Look at Biden's healthcare plan: a $750 bil band-aid on Obamacare. All that does is tinker around the edges. You'll continue to have millions of people with crappy insurance, like $8,000 max out of pocket insurance with high copays, that forces people to choose between healthcare and bankruptcy.

The only thing Joe Biden offers is four years of Not Trump. That's it. No meaningful progress on any major issues.
Four years of "Not Trump" is infinitely better than four more years of Trump, which is what the "progressive" wing of the Democratic party will give us.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:43 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Four years of "Not Trump" is infinitely better than four more years of Trump, which is what the "progressive" wing of the Democratic party will give us.
I respect your opinion but I disagree. Trump wants to run against "Sleepy Joe" because he's the easiest candidate for Trump to beat. We ran a centrist named Hillary and Trump beat her. Her mushy middle of the road positions did not excite younger voters or hardly anyone else for that matter.

The way to beat Trump is with a progressive like Warren, Sanders or Harris who can articulate a strong clear pro-middle class agenda of universal healthcare, affordable college and living wages. That's how you excite the youth vote to come out in droves. Sanders beats Trump by 6 points in recent polls.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:43 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Was there really a difference in Bush & Obama in the end?
I don't know, Obama was able to make the Bush tax cuts for the very wealthy permanent, something Bush himself couldn't even do.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:48 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:

How so and please be objective in your answer, show me you actually have a brain instead of giving the typical CNN points... racist, liar, meanie doo doo head, think important issues on the economy, immigration, healthcare, energy independence, etc.

Biden would be fine as president, I'd prefer Trump, but Biden wouldn't guarantee the next recession like the other candidates would...

Old 08-03-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Obama was center/left. But more than that he was a pragmatist. And he warned of the left end of the Democratic party forming a circular firing squad. Now we're seeing it. Biden will be wise to emphasize his 8 years as Obama's wingman.

Biden has gone more left this election to catch up with the other candidates. However, this recent debate he seemed to stand his ground more instead of going far left to appeal to AOC and her minions. I hope the Biden of 2008, will be the Biden of 2020.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:20 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
No President will have policy that will meet everyone's expectations but Obama hit the mark on most, got us out of a financial crisis while inheriting a war and took out Bin Laden.

AOC is pushing her own agenda without looking outside the district that elected her.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
No President will have policy that will meet everyone's expectations but Obama hit the mark on most, got us out of a financial crisis while inheriting a war and took out Bin Laden.

AOC is pushing her own agenda without looking outside the district that elected her.

I just don't understand why Pelosi and most of the candidates are trying to appeal to AOC, aren't most of her supporters like 18 years old and only makeup a small part of Democratic voters? It's making me question polling.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I find it interesting that Obama is now considered a moderate. I think he was responsible for the radical shift to the left in the party. More seats were lost under him nationwide than probably anytime in history because of his radical agenda. Funny that now he is out of favor with the party. I personally love seeing liberals eat their own.
Democrats took back the house campaigning as progressives.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Watching the debates was a disappointment for this liberal as attacking Obama and each other is not a winning strategy and if continued it will give trump the win. IMO the candidates should lay out thier plans if they achieve the Presidency and then let the people vote accordingly,thinking you are winning by trashing your running mate is the way trump works and has been quite successful for the man but id like to think Democrats are a different breed than trump and his zombie base.
Exactly.

I think AOC is very interesting, and I look forward to watching her grow into her job. She's very bright. But I want the D candidate to WIN, and in order to do that, s/he can't scare the horses. And AOC does scare the horses.

And on a more personal note, I think Obama had a ton of **** rained on him, some that he deserved, and a lot more that he didn't. He sure doesn't deserve to be trashed now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies