Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 AM

5,857 posts, read 3,290,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Well mine were in combat.
TY for your service. God bless you and we are indebted to you for what you have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:00 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,953,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Here is another one. A person with mental problem is off medication and taken illegal drugs. Police is called to help and instead kill the guy by stepping on his back for several minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E_i8Q5G0
He said "you're gonna kill me" in the very beginning, and he was right.
Cops killed him and laughed about it.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:03 AM

25,498 posts, read 17,201,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Hey tell us about the shootings you were involved in!!
Here's a question for a cop from a non-cop:
Should the officer have fired into the ground first? I saw that happen when an officer was rushed by a gang of golden retrievers. It turned out to be a good thing as they only wanted to play and no one was injured.
We all know that the barking, growling dog did not want to play, but still..... I think if I were a police officer that would be my first choice when being "approached" by an aggressive animal - 2 into the ground and then bring it to bear on the animal.
Your comments?...

Old 08-03-2019, 09:05 AM

27,102 posts, read 13,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...dog/index.html

CNN) A Texas police officer trying to shoot at a barking dog killed the woman he was there to help during a welfare check, authorities say.

The woman has been identified as Margarita Brooks, Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson said at a press conference Friday.

A caller reported a woman passed out in a grassy area in Arlington on Thursday evening. Arlington police officers, the fire department and EMS were dispatched to the scene to conduct a welfare check, officials said.

When the officer approached the woman, he noticed an unrestrained dog nearby, the Arlington Police Department said in a statement.

"As the officer called out to the woman repeatedly concerning her welfare, the dog began to run towards the officer while barking. The officer retreated backwards from the running dog while drawing his duty firearm," police said. "The officer discharged his firearm multiple times towards the dog. After the shots were fired, the woman yelled out and it was apparent she was injured."
Brooks was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead. Preliminary information shows she was struck by gunfire from the officer, according to the police.

The Arlington Police Department is carrying out both a criminal and an administrative investigation, Johnson said.

A police body-worn camera captured the incident and the footage will be used in the investigation, authorities said.

The dog is in quarantine at the Arlington Animal Shelter, Johnson said. Police are looking into reports that the animal may have been grazed by a bullet.

Arlington is west of Dallas and has a population of about 365,000
The police in the US seem to just have a licence to kill any animal they wish, as long as it barks or comes within in 20 feet of them.

TBH -the US needs to have some kind of national review in relation to the traning of police, as many just don't seem up to carrying guns in the first place.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:05 AM

34,194 posts, read 18,530,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh boy is he gonna get it; the dreaded paid administrative leave and desk duty
Then the dreaded re-assignment and promotion.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:08 AM

34,194 posts, read 18,530,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Well at least the dog is ok!!!
Small wonder!

I carry non-lethal self defense measures, mostly for dogs when I hike and bike. Pepper Spray. Oh, yeah and a 9MM.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:08 AM

15,513 posts, read 10,472,755 times
I heard it was a black Lab, they are super loyal. I'm sure it thought it was protecting it's owner. I just hope they don't put it down or something for charging the officer.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 AM

45,166 posts, read 26,380,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The police in the US seem to just have a licence to kill any animal they wish, as long as it barks or comes within in 20 feet of them.

TBH -the US needs to have some kind of national review in relation to the traning of police, as many just don't seem up to carrying guns in the first place.
If "any animal" includes the ones that walk upright on two legs,I agree with ya.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 AM

5,857 posts, read 3,290,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Should the officer have fired into the ground first? I saw that happen when an officer was rushed by a gang of golden retrievers. It turned out to be a good thing as they only wanted to play and no one was injured.
We all know that the barking, growling dog did not want to play, but still..... I think if I were a police officer that would be my first choice when being "approached" by an aggressive animal - 2 into the ground and then bring it to bear on the animal.
Your comments?...
First off I never shot at a dog. However if I had to there are no warning shots. It was against policy.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:14 AM

12,368 posts, read 8,110,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Your comments?...
We are assuming that dogs understand the concept of a shot fired across the bow? Or loud noise means stop don't protect your pack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies