Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:40 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Kids know more about climate change than many adults. This forum, and your post, provide copious amounts of evidence. You'll be dead when the worst effects become known, and kids will inherit our mess.
I know right? kids today be like, "you aren't the ones that will have to deal with this mess. now pay for my college loans because they are mean to me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 01:47 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Those who see what is happening and believe in the science will continue to do so. Those who don't, won't. It's pretty simple really.
..and those that don't check to see if the data backs up the wild claims and hyperbole...won't

Old 08-03-2019, 01:51 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..and those that don't check to see if the data backs up the wild claims and hyperbole...won't
Guess you told me, lol.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:56 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, we need to teach kids what scientists have discovered about climate change. Kids don’t need propaganda from lobbyists and democrats.
I agree. Democrats didn’t spend their careers studying climate. Climatologists did. We should be teaching students those findings.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:59 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Actually the schools are using it to influence the children.
I'm not using anything myself.

I'm well aware of what went on with Y2K as I was one of those software engineers combing through code regarding date changes.

The MSM did blow it out of proportion though by inducing fear to the people that the world would come to a standing halt at midnight of 1/1/2000.

Schools are doing to children regarding climate change what the MSM did to the public regarding Y2K.
Telling elementary school children the world will end in 12 years unless we do something is now considered "science" ?
Of course MSM blew it out of proportion. (1) They didn't know any better and (2) it got people to read their articles.

Climate change will not mean the end of the world. In fact, people like you and I will not feel the effects at all because (1) we live in a 1st world country where both our country and us as individuals have enough resources to make sure we wouldn't feel the effects and (2) the more drastic effects of climate change will not happen for another generation or so.

I say all this fully believing that we should do nothing at all to combat climate change because the point of no return is already behind us. As an engineer, I don't really worry about what's come to past. I worry about how to deal with the effects in the future.

You really should pay less attention to MSM and doomsday movies and actually read the science behind these issues.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:02 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Teach the science and critical thought... then let them decide the conclusion to draw from it.

I'm pretty sure they are better than most posters here at drawing conclusions from scientific evidence.... and because they are just beginning in their lives, they have more at stake.

Or are we now advocating ignorance in order to achieve bliss?

Old 08-03-2019, 02:08 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Teach the science and critical thought... then let them decide the conclusion to draw from it.

I'm pretty sure they are better than most posters here at drawing conclusions from scientific evidence.... and because they are just beginning in their lives, they have more at stake.

Or are we now advocating ignorance in order to achieve bliss?
Well, we could also teach the kids the theory of evolution and the biblical account of creation and let them decide.

My degree is physics with concentration in quantum mechanics. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me to explain quantum mechanics to them fully expecting me to make them understand with 1 or 2 sentences of dumbed down english.

The fact of the matter is it takes years and years of study and practice to understand science, just like everything else in life. A computer scientist didn't become a computer scientist after being explained in a couple sentences what computer science is about. I didn't become a civil engineer after watching somebody mix some concrete. My sister didn't become a mathematician after doing some arithmetic in the grocery store.

Nowadays, we live in an age where everybody and their grandmother thinks just because they could google search something means their opinion equals the expert opinions out there. This is why I hate talking about things in my own fields with other people.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:27 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Guess you told me, lol.
you know I'm teasing you...right!

Old 08-03-2019, 03:16 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
The sad thing is that my dad posted something on facebook poking fun at climate change. I respect him, he has been a corpsman for 20 years(retired).

Meanwhile has has a daughter working in the field who can't get through to him because he likes to watch Fox news.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:24 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, then you weren't taught science?
Just as much science as the junk science you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies