U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:33 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,534 posts, read 4,360,752 times
Reputation: 8093

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To some people, the only "real America" is the rural south/rural midwest. And mainly areas with few racial minorities. Trump's comment only drives more wedges in society. On the other hand, we're already divided. President Trump is just telling many within his support base what they want to hear. He is saying how they feel. 15 years ago, I couldn't imagine a President insulting another city or state.
Trump pretty much says what everyone was saying in the fellowship hall after church when I was growing up in the 90s and 2000s. That is why he's so popular. These people have overwhelming hatred for anyone who doesn't embrace WASP social norms, isn't heterosexual, and isn't the "right kind" of Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:34 PM
 
12,837 posts, read 3,485,849 times
Reputation: 4356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
there are a lot of liberals who don't want to admit it for some reason....

You can't provide any logical reason why Trump should not have responded strongly to Cummings false accusation. if Democrat's look for Trump's attention, they shouldn't get mad when gives them his attention.

I think it relevant to point out a guy calling Trump racist hasn't done anything solve poverty in his own district.
1. Everyone I know that is a liberal will gladly admit it. There's no reason not to.

2. You're saying that there are a lot of liberals who don't want to admit it for some reason, but then you don't provide that reason, nor any reason.

3. Just because you see other people seeing Trump's remarks as unpresidential and 'punching down' as not being logical (your opinion), doesn't mean that those things actually lack logic.

4. Re the last sentence in your post, I do agree with you re Newsom/California/the Democrat legislature looking for Trump's attention and that Democrats (of which I am not one, and I no longer live in California) shouldn't be upset by the attention, but I disagree with you on that front re Cummings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:35 PM
 
49,289 posts, read 46,156,596 times
Reputation: 15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Trump's no different now than he was and you don't have any good candidates. All of your candidates are abrasive except the Hawaiin one, so far.

You guys have been calling him a bully for years and it hasn't worked.

He's not bullying anybody by pointing out problems in a city or state and tying it to Democrats.

Bullying is something like falsely calling people racist or falsely accusing them of colluding with a foreign country

who does stuff like that i wonder.
Trump being no different from the other candidates is no excuse for his behavior. Insulting an entire state is bullying. If you don't like California, that's on you. But Trump could have talking about California's problems without referring to the entire state as a disgrace. His comment wasn't necessary. It was uncalled for and ugly. I know California has issues. California has issues with illegals, high taxes, high cost of living, and gangs. I can talk about this issues without referring to the state as a disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:36 PM
 
49,289 posts, read 46,156,596 times
Reputation: 15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Trump points out things that are true and people freak out. California has gone downhill after democrat leadership. I think they all should be held accountable and clean up the cities.
Trump literally called an entire state a disgrace. Not its government, not its policy, the entire state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Riverside County / Maricopa County
2,508 posts, read 1,817,231 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Trump points out things that are true and people freak out. California has gone downhill after democrat leadership. I think they all should be held accountable and clean up the cities.
EXACTLY, California should strive to be like the economic powerhouses of states like Mississippi or Alabama or “insert red state here”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:39 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,534 posts, read 4,360,752 times
Reputation: 8093
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Trump literally called an entire state a disgrace. Not its government, not its policy, the entire state.
When I was growing up, the preacher at my church said in a sermon that it was a sin to support the San Francisco 49'ers since San Francisco was a 'city of sodomy.'

These people stereotype and paint entire places they hate with a broad brush. To them, California is a disgrace to the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:39 PM
 
12,155 posts, read 3,041,327 times
Reputation: 5708
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Calling California a disgrace to the entire country is tantamount to acting like a playground bully. How are people going to vote for a man who literally insulted their state? If I was living there, why would I do that?
I laugh at the priorities of the Loony Left. A state doesn't have feelings. Hurt feelings are so much worse than high crime, increased cost of living and health hazards. Right.

If you were living in CA why would you continue to vote for a party that has controlled the state for decades and watch its decline? If you had common sense you'd vote for Trump to send a strong message to the Demwits to shape up or ship out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:40 PM
 
49,289 posts, read 46,156,596 times
Reputation: 15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

California was a much better place to live when Republicans won it back in the day.
When California was Republican, Los Angeles was experiencing runaway murder rates and extreme gang issues. Same with Oakland. Life wasn't good for everybody in California. If you lived in Oakland, East L.A., South Central, or Bayview-Hunters Point district of San Francisco, life was certainly horrible.

And right now, Alabama is run by Republicans. Alabama has one of the highest murder rates in the USA. Alabama is rated one of the worst states in terms of education. Oklahoma has a very Republican state but its cities are dealing with street gangs and Oklahoma has a high violent crime rate. Tulsa ranks in the top 10 for rape. Oklahoma is also struggling with drug abuse issues.

Political party isn't the main determinant in everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:41 PM
 
4,205 posts, read 1,308,077 times
Reputation: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Why do so many people still dream of living in California yet nobody wants to live in Oklahoma?
People are attracted to the physical attributes of CA. Trump is referring to do with the destructive policies, and he is correct. CA runs on ineptness and corruption, 'takes one to know one's will be easier for you to swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,734 posts, read 13,596,808 times
Reputation: 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Trump is correct about most of California.
But what about the Okie part of California, the Central Valley? Bakersfield went 53% for Trump.

Have you so much as visited most of California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top